Odyssey balcony question

manlie

I am wanting to book a balcony cabin but every photo/video I find makes them look like dark caves. The larger extended ones in particular look dreadful!  Are there any that are more open than others? Something that gets more sun? Is it possible it’s just bad lighting in videos? I am not worried about privacy

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'am sitting in my balcony right now. The cabin is hardly like a.cave.

Thanks! Maybe it’s just poor video quality. Do you know if there are any that are open? (I am one of those people who like the tiered balconies and not concerned about privacy) 

6 minutes ago, manlie said:

Thanks! Maybe it’s just poor video quality. Do you know if there are any that are open? (I am one of those people who like the tiered balconies and not concerned about privacy) 

No tiered that I can see. 

We were in a large balcony category 7632 on the Odyssey last week - Pre-Cruise I was worried a little about it being "cave like" but it really wasn't bad - plenty of sun and shade when needed/wanted.  One thing I liked about it is Ive had balconies before that were too hot to spend extended time on, this gave a good mix of both. 

Pic of from deck 5 looking up at the balconies that are "extended".  (We were in the first slanted balcony in the picture on deck 7 if that makes sense)

IMG_3946D.JPG

IMG_3896D.JPG

69635314236__2ED59C3C-AFE5-40F2-86D6-D10D5C0A92DD.jpeg

Edited by BillsMafiaBabe
add comment on picture
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BillsMafiaBabe said:

We were in a large balcony category 7632 on the Odyssey last week - Pre-Cruise I was worried a little about it being "cave like" but it really wasn't bad - plenty of sun and shade when needed/wanted.  One thing I liked about it is Ive had balconies before that were too hot to spend extended time on, this gave a good mix of both. 

Pic of from deck 5 looking up at the balconies that are "extended".  (We were in the first slanted balcony in the picture on deck 7 if that makes sense)

IMG_3946D.JPG

IMG_3896D.JPG

It's a shame that if those balconies have that much space they don't add a full lounger or some other type of furniture to sit on, or maybe a larger table.

4 minutes ago, Chip and Dale said:

I was on Odyssey December 30th. The cabin was ok since I was alone. The balcony was HUGE! I was in 11720. Two chairs with footstools and two tables. 

I’m not a fan of the ship but the balcony was incredible!

Hope this helps

Dee

That is one of the rare cabins that has sort of a double balcony, width-wise, versus depth-wise.  Those seem pretty cool, but it's a hike from back there, isn't it?  I had an aft Jr suite back there last summer, I certainly got my steps in.   Most of the 'large' balconies are extra deep versus extra wide like 11720, so they can be sort of like a cave.  

27 minutes ago, Chip and Dale said:

I was on Odyssey December 30th. The cabin was ok since I was alone. The balcony was HUGE! I was in 11720. Two chairs with footstools and two tables. 

Hope this helps

Dee

What did you not like about the ship? 

On 2/3/2023 at 7:19 PM, rockmom said:

That is one of the rare cabins that has sort of a double balcony, width-wise, versus depth-wise.  Those seem pretty cool, but it's a hike from back there, isn't it?  I had an aft Jr suite back there last summer, I certainly got my steps in.   Most of the 'large' balconies are extra deep versus extra wide like 11720, so they can be sort of like a cave.  

Definitely a very long walk! It took me a few days to figure out a direct route 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2023 at 7:12 PM, Chip and Dale said:

Hope this helps

Dee

Hi there! I'll  ask again what someone else asked. Why are you not a fan? We will be on Odyssey in November. Although we love the Oasis class ships we will be sailing this ship for the 8nt Southern itinerary.  Just wondering your thoughts. We just saw a 60 minute tour on You Tube and it looks quite interesting...

Thank you.

And to the OP looks like the deep balconies provide best of both worlds. Sun & shade. I would, tho, be concerned if it was too deep which would make the room darker while dressing and prepping for the evening.

Happy sailings to all!

On 2/3/2023 at 7:40 PM, Ocean Boy said:

What did you not like about the ship? 

I felt it was an oversized Vision class. It was incredibly congested and sea days were horrible! Many crew members were not happy working that ship and were quite vocal about it at times. 

Disembarkation was chaos. Soooooo many people and it was like being herded. One of the ports was Grand Cayman with tenders. Just a really bad idea with that many passengers. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 1:50 PM, BillsMafiaBabe said:

IMG_3946D.JPG

IMG_3896D.JPG

We booked 6624 which is considered obstructed but it’s not. Saved over $2,500 for the 3 of us. Highly recommend looking at it or the one on the other side of the ship to save some money.

3 minutes ago, Valchie said:

Hi there! I'll  ask again what someone else asked. Why are you not a fan? We will be on Odyssey in November. Although we love the Oasis class ships we will be sailing this ship for the 8nt Southern itinerary.  Just wondering your thoughts. We just saw a 60 minute tour on You Tube and it looks quite interesting...

Thank you.

And to the OP looks like the deep balconies provide best of both worlds. Sun & shade. I would, tho, be concerned if it was too deep which would make the room darker while dressing and prepping for the evening.

Happy sailings to all!

I just posted a response. I will add that I have severe allergies and found that the dining room staff were poorly trained to deal with it. I’ve done enough cruises to be well versed in how dining rooms handle severe allergies. 

I found many crew members were rude and impatient. Every area seemed to be congested on Odyssey. Another thing that drove those of us nuts who walk/run the track was the soot on our clothes! My shirts were covered with spots of black soot after every time I was on the track. 

I did this cruise because I wanted a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale for NYE. You may like this ship, it may be that I’m just more comfortable with the smaller ships like Radiance, Explorer etc. This is just my personal experience and opinion. 

sailed ODSY' in Nov in an extended balcony and son had an extended balc' in his single person cabin as well ... a lil 'physics' to consider ..... there are TWO TYPES of extensions .....

some times the extension pushes OUT from the forward direction of the ship meaning you'll see extra breeze when the ship is moving (sea days)

and on the other side the cabin is "in the lee" as we sailors say and will be blocked from the breeze .....

image.thumb.png.47eed24845c259291ababc1a1412ae1d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Chip and Dale said:

I felt it was an oversized Vision class. It was incredibly congested and sea days were horrible! Many crew members were not happy working that ship and were quite vocal about it at times. 

Disembarkation was chaos. Soooooo many people and it was like being herded. One of the ports was Grand Cayman with tenders. Just a really bad idea with that many passengers. 

Interesting, thanks for your perspective. As far as disembarkment today, I did self assist. I left the cabin at 7:30 and was outside waiting for transportation to FLL at 7:45. It could not have been much smoother. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 8:25 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Interesting, thanks for your perspective. As far as disembarkment today, I did self assist. I left the cabin at 7:30 and was outside waiting for transportation to FLL at 7:45. It could not have been much smoother. 

Self Assist was incredibly chaotic on the cruise I’m speaking of as well. 

Glad that you had a good experience!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 4:39 PM, Chip and Dale said:

I just posted a response. I will add that I have severe allergies and found that the dining room staff were poorly trained to deal with it. I’ve done enough cruises to be well versed in how dining rooms handle severe allergies. 

I found many crew members were rude and impatient. Every area seemed to be congested on Odyssey. Another thing that drove those of us nuts who walk/run the track was the soot on our clothes! My shirts were covered with spots of black soot after every time I was on the track. 

I did this cruise because I wanted a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale for NYE. You may like this ship, it may be that I’m just more comfortable with the smaller ships like Radiance, Explorer etc. This is just my personal experience and opinion. 

Thank you for your answer. I haven't been on CC all week or I would have responded sooner. Take care.