How to fly to Lisbon from Rome

mauimary

TAP definitely isn't great on shorthauls, but they're just fine. Good enough. More to the point, there aren't many better options. Some airlines may be slightly better (stress on the "slightly"), but aren't worth adding hours and a connection for. Some are worse. Just do the nonstop on TAP (assuming by "Portugal" you really mean "Lisbon"). 

15 hours ago, hallasm said:

TAP is the best and most economical option from FCO to LIS.

Most economical may be a point or argument, though with the caveat that TAP is the only airline doing LIS-FCO; Ryanair does LIS-CIA. Mainline European airlines, like TAP, are acting more like Ryanair and Easyjet each day. 

I picked a random date later this year, September 1, and compared LIS-Rome nonstop on the two carriers that do it, TAP and Ryanair (note TAP goes to Fiumicino, while Ryanair goes to Ciampino): 

TAP has four flights a day, so I am choosing one of the mid-day flights, which is also mid-price. I am choosing the fare that includes a hand bag up to 10kg and nothing else (no checked bags, food, seat assignment). The price is 130 EUR. 

Ryanair has two flights a day, and are priced about the same. For roughly the same price (127 EUR), you can get the same hand bag allowance, priority boarding, and a seat assignment. For 137 EUR you also can get a checked bag up to 20kg. 

So, I definitely believe TAP is the better option (though, I do think Ryanair gets a bad rap for what it is), but it's not necessarily the most economical version. 

• Thanks 2

Be very careful entering info onto the TAP web site. We are flying BOS to LIS and returning via FCO/LIS/BOS.  Wish it were with a different carrier, but wanted non-stop to LIS and then returning via FCO has it challenges.

When entering the passport info and especially DOB and EXP dates, the TAP program changes tthe dates!  So, you need to enter one day later than info on the PP!  I thought it was me,  am I really that stupid? I called our TA and she said all the info she entered for her busband changed two days after she did the booking. She and I just re-did the dates and I took a screen shot for proof of my entering the right dates...one more document to have on me when checking in at the airport. TAP's site will not take Trusted Traveler info! 

I've flown many air carriers over quite a few decades and never had such problems. Vacations should be stress free? 

Darcy

4 hours ago, WatchHill said:

Be very careful entering info onto the TAP web site. We are flying BOS to LIS and returning via FCO/LIS/BOS.  Wish it were with a different carrier, but wanted non-stop to LIS and then returning via FCO has it challenges.

When entering the passport info and especially DOB and EXP dates, the TAP program changes tthe dates!  So, you need to enter one day later than info on the PP!  I thought it was me,  am I really that stupid? I called our TA and she said all the info she entered for her busband changed two days after she did the booking. She and I just re-did the dates and I took a screen shot for proof of my entering the right dates...one more document to have on me when checking in at the airport. TAP's site will not take Trusted Traveler info! 

I've flown many air carriers over quite a few decades and never had such problems. Vacations should be stress free? 

Darcy

Thank you for the warning. Just took a look at both of ours as we made these reservations 5 days ago and so far we are good.