New 30-minute pool lounger save policy instituted on the Splendor

-Lew-

In all reality, it's literally the same idea as someone not moving a food tray off their table at a food court table in a shopping mall.

"Oh, my apologies, I simply mistook your rudeness and entitlement by taking something for hours on end as simple laziness. No problems and rest assured, it will happen again! 🙂 "

I've personally never really run into a big issue with it, but if I do I sincerely hope they enforce it fleet wide.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Sometimes I just "move" some towels strewn amongst a few chairs to just one chair, freeing up the seats for others to use.  As Sgt Schultz said, "I know NOTHING, I see NOTHING."  🙂

At first I thought "good for you"... and then it occurred to me that I'd be PO'd if I was in the pool and found my towel missing when I returned.

1 minute ago, mnocket said:

At first I thought "good for you"... and then it occurred to me that I'd be PO'd if I was in the pool and found my towel missing when I returned.

DH and I are pool people.  We don't use loungers but ask ourselves...where to put our stuff?  If no nearby table or chair is accessible, we leave our towel, card, watch, cell phone by the edge of the pool...which is not appropriate, as accidents have happened and a watch and a cell have joined us and others at the pool.  I am now glad to read that a table has been set up for stuff.  I am, however, miffed at the idea that when we collect, we will forever be known as "hoggers" 🥰

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I'm talking about towels that have been left ALONE for hours! As when there's NO ONE in the pool. Or hot tubs. 😉

Edited by Kwaj girl
sp
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Not a big deal IMHO as there are plenty of fresh towels available around the pool.

1 hour ago, Camillus112 said:

DH and I are pool people.  We don't use loungers but ask ourselves...where to put our stuff?

Others ships may differ, but on Splendor there are some areas around the hot tubs where you can leave stuff while you're in the pool.  Sight lines will allow you to keep it in view while you're in the pool.

• Like 1

We were on the same cruise as Lew and suffered the worst abuse for daring to claim an empty chaise.

It had been held from 7.30am (maybe earlier but that was when we arrived) we settled onto single loungers, after 90 minutes I asked the pool staff if it was ok to take the chaise, which we did. At 10.30am the "owner" arrived and went into an expletive rampage at both my wife and I that we had "stolen" his chaise and that I was a bully and lucky for me he was small otherwise would have taken me on!!

You would not believe the language that came out of this guys mouth. I was always taught to respect my elders but this guy blew that out of the park, he was at least 75-80 and just went off. I tried to explain that there was a 30 minute policy and he should see the pool attendants, but he would not listen. After reducing my wife to tears he went off, claimed another 2 loungers and then disappeared. Apparently moaning to anyone that would listen in La Veranda. He then returned and decided to have another go, calling me a bully with yet more "F" words thrown in, this time I videoed him (was too gobsmacked and shocked to get the original rant)

I went to see the GM and showed him the video and he apologised and would try and track the passenger down. By this time my wife had decided we were getting off when we got back to Miami the next day (this was the first cruise of 3 b2b) as she did not want to put up with this behaviour for another 2 cruises. Luckily the GM reported back that the offender was getting off in Miami so my wife decided to carry on. The GM was so apologetic but as I told him it was not him that needed to apologise. He also mentioned that that first sector was the worst he had experienced for passenger behaviour. Luckily things did improve and the next 2 sectors were a much better experience.

As a footnote to the 30 minute policy the repeat offenders who had their belongings removed and complained loudly to staff and anyone else that they could get to listen were the ones that caused this policy to be bought in in the first place but just did not seem to understand this, I had to constantly bite my tongue as they moaned!!!

Another guy thought he was everyones "best mate" and would hold 2 chaise daily for his friends to have at their leisure!! He lost his chaise one day, "but I was only 35 minutes" to which the pool attendant told him it was an hour and 35 minutes. He disappeared for a couple of days and I heard him telling someone he had boycotted the pool deck due to his treatment!! If only these people followed the policy there would be harmony!!

We are now reassessing our next 2 Regent cruises as we pay too much money to have a holiday that is not enjoyable due to other selfish people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on this cruise (actually think it was the segment immediately after your experience) and definitely saw the loungers with items placed upon them.  Fortunately did not witness the above mentioned fiasco and sorry that anyone had to endure that type of behavior. While not in the same category, did note one couple that camped out on loungers from breakfast to late afternoon.  The same one every day - moving only to have lunch at a pool grill table very near their lounger.  Realize that this is within the "rules" but.... it was very noticeable.  Hoping you don't let this type of situation ruin the opportunity to enjoy Regent cruising in the future.  Luckily for us - when we decide to stretch out for a while, we are quite content to use the chairs/lounges on our balcony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolina cruisin said:

We were on this cruise (actually think it was the segment immediately after your experience) and definitely saw the loungers with items placed upon them.  Fortunately did not witness the above mentioned fiasco and sorry that anyone had to endure that type of behavior. While not in the same category, did note one couple that camped out on loungers from breakfast to late afternoon.  The same one every day - moving only to have lunch at a pool grill table very near their lounger.  Realize that this is within the "rules" but.... it was very noticeable.  Hoping you don't let this type of situation ruin the opportunity to enjoy Regent cruising in the future.  Luckily for us - when we decide to stretch out for a while, we are quite content to use the chairs/lounges on our balcony.

If they are using the loungers, I have no issues. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Qld13 said:

We are now reassessing our next 2 Regent cruises as we pay too much money to have a holiday that is not enjoyable due to other selfish people.

I would never let a handful of rude people chase me away from a cruise line.  I can almost guarantee you'll find this behavior on every cruise line.  Entitled people are going to behave like this no matter.  

We've seen chair hogs on almost every cruise.  On one cruise (not Regent) I was up at 6 am so went to pool deck to get a coffee.  A woman came out with towels and books and claimed 6 loungers.  She was wearing a bathrobe, fuzzy slippers, and hair curlers.  Pretty sure she wasn't about to go swimming. 

• Haha 2

At this point anyone on cruise critic and reading this thread, understands the policy.  It’s the other folks that are the problem - right!  I already spoke about my chair hogs, but I also recorded another guy that had a fit when he returned and his stuff had been moved(not by me).   (Happily,  no punches were thrown and he stormed off with in a minute).  

I would just look them straight in the eye and mention that at this point, someone is probably recording your behavior and it may be in your best interest to stop and move on.   

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I would never let a handful of rude people chase me away from a cruise line.  I can almost guarantee you'll find this behavior on every cruise line.  Entitled people are going to behave like this no matter.  

We've seen chair hogs on almost every cruise.  On one cruise (not Regent) I was up at 6 am so went to pool deck to get a coffee.  A woman came out with towels and books and claimed 6 loungers.  She was wearing a bathrobe, fuzzy slippers, and hair curlers.  Pretty sure she wasn't about to go swimming. 

She would have been had I been there! Just (semi) kidding.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Qld13 said:

Hopefully the Chair hogs that got busted won't be sailing regent anymore.  Eventually passengers will be trained as long as regent is consistent in enforcing its rule.

Edited by Lonedaddy

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I wonder what the rules are for recording at sea? I don't know, just wondering. That would be a great video to post on Youtube!!

Not sure but....that's what you risk if you're in a public place.   🙂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Far as I know.  There are actually some signs indicating "CCTV in use" so the cruiseline is apparently videoing certain areas. 

Regent videos most public areas and saves the recordings. There are probably 100 cameras in public areas, if not more.  You can see the feeds from the bridge and a security location. The posting is because sometimes the ship is in a dual consent area and posting is legal notification. From what I have read, a cruise ship is considered private property and guests may only film with permission of the cruise line (which is, by default, allowed unless specifically prohibited). I suspect that posting a fight might trigger a warning to remove it....such as was done in the past by both Carnival and RSC.

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Regent videos most public areas and saves the recordings. There are probably 100 cameras in public areas, if not more.  You can see the feeds from the bridge and a security location. The posting is because sometimes the ship is in a dual consent area and posting is legal notification. From what I have read, a cruise ship is considered private property and guests may only film with permission of the cruise line (which is, by default, allowed unless specifically prohibited). I suspect that posting a fight might trigger a warning to remove it....such as was done in the past by both Carnival and RSC.

I would *hope* that Regent cruisers would only video such activity to show it to the GM if necessary to address the offenders, rather than post it on social media.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

I would *hope* that Regent cruisers would only video such activity to show it to the GM if necessary to address the offenders, rather than post it on social media.

Who knows - lots of people here want to self-police lounge chairs...what better way to shame a chair hog than posting it? It's not my thing but I am sure that, out of thousands of people, some would.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...