Icon - Are they prepared for the amount of kids?

Angie2045

I wonder if the RCC will be prepared for the amount of children onboard the Icon. Since they is the first ship geared towards young families, I would imagine it will have more children onboard then any other ship. I hope this doesn't negatively impact bookings at the kids club and crowds for kid related activities. Do you think RCC would have anticipated this issue and are designing the Icon accordingly? 

11 minutes ago, Angie2045 said:

Since they is the first ship geared towards young families, I would imagine it will have more children onboard then any other ship.

Which is why I will probably never sail on this ship. 😁

Edited by ramja96
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

First ship geared to young families?
I'd say a bit late with that....... Slides, FlowRider, Sportscourt, Carousel on a Promenade.... there's a few within the fleet that beat Icon to that demographic already.....

But yeah, I suspect it'll be fine.

RCL is absolutely targeting the "young families" demographic right now. They're prepared for it, I wouldn't stress about it.

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Like 3

I remember booking my first cruise for my young family back in the early 2000's.  The reason we booked Royal Caribbean was because we felt that their newest ships, the Voyager class, were geared towards...young families.  

• Like 5

Yes, I think they accounted for it.

What I find interesting, with more than 82% of all rooms onboard Icon of the Seas accommodating 3 or more guests, I have to imagine they will lift the restriction of not allowing parties of 2 to book these cabins.  The ship has more potential for families with kids but that doesn't necessarily mean that we'll see a substantial shift that way on the sailings.  We'll see

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

First ship geared to young families?
I'd say a bit late with that....... Slides, FlowRider, Sportscourt, Carousel on a Promenade.... there's a few within the fleet that beat Icon to that demographic already.....

But yeah, I suspect it'll be fine.

RCL is absolutely targeting the "young families" demographic right now. They're prepared for it, I wouldn't stress about it.

It will be their first ship with a dedicated neighborhood set up for young families.  They will also have the most expensive cabin in the fleet.

Then there's the Ultimate Family Townhouse, which is 3-stories and can hold up to 8 guests.

It has its own cinema, karaoke, patio, white picket fence, table tennis, and mailbox.

It has slides to move you from decks, as well as direct access to Surfside (no hallway walk required).

How much does it cost? According to Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Michael Bayley, the average cost of the Ultimate Family Townhouse in 2024 is $75,000 per week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Royal Caribbean has done a brilliant job when it has come to encouraging  the kids to sail.  Eventually these kids will get the cruising "bug" and will become cruising adults.  Throw in the crown and anchor status that they inherit and its just like the Marlboro man of the 70s hooking you for life.

Not to mention the kids sail free promos which were promoted to feel like your getting a deal.  It is all about casting a net and seeing what you can catch.

I think this ship is really focused on young families that have loads of $$$ to spend on all the extra things on this ship rather then the "Old" people on fixed incomes who hardly end up with anything on their sea pass card at the end of their cruise.

Built this ship to make money, not have happy families with kids walking around the ship saying wow, I'm getting such good value here. "I want to cruise on this ship again".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

It will be their first ship with a dedicated neighborhood set up for young families.  They will also have the most expensive cabin in the fleet.

Then there's the Ultimate Family Townhouse, which is 3-stories and can hold up to 8 guests.

It has its own cinema, karaoke, patio, white picket fence, table tennis, and mailbox.

It has slides to move you from decks, as well as direct access to Surfside (no hallway walk required).

How much does it cost? According to Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Michael Bayley, the average cost of the Ultimate Family Townhouse in 2024 is $75,000 per week.

Rather put in a built in pool in the back yard and make my own oasis..........where I can enjoy it for lot more then 1 week.  $75,000 for 1 week,  Ridiculous !

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

I think this ship is really focused on young families that have loads of $$$ to spend on all the extra things on this ship rather then the "Old" people on fixed incomes who hardly end up with anything on their sea pass card at the end of their cruise.

Built this ship to make money, not have happy families with kids walking around the ship saying wow, I'm getting such good value here. "I want to cruise on this ship again".

I think your right with this.  Its going to be the closest they get to the "Disney" experience on a Royal Caribbean ship.  My wife will do it with our grandson eventually and test the waters so to speak.  Not sure we will book it as just the two of us.

• Like 1

Not sure we will sail on Icon, at least not for a long time.  1.  Prices are INSANE! I refuse to pay that kind of money to get on a new ship.  2.  Seems like it will be a Disney Cruise, so not sure we want to deal with all the kids.  We love kids, but don't want to be overwhelmed by them all day.  3.  Ship seems very disjointed to me with all the "zones".  Does not look like a lot of loungers at the pool where you can be out of the water and just enjoying the sun. Could be wrong, but just from the training I have done and the pictures I have seen, does not look like it. 

This is not to say we won't try it, but just like all the new ships, we will wait a couple of years and let the prices go down.  We are finally going on Wonder October 2023 at probably 1/2 the cost of what it was when it was first out.  Will do the same with Utopia - that we will go on for sure - but will wait until it is out for a while before we go.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

blown.gif

“Just one little nugget that gets me very excited is, and it’s only one category of room, but the Ultimate Family Townhouse that we sell on Icon, which is a three-story experience for younger families, is already 55 percent sold for 2024 and at an average price of $75,000 per week,” Bayley said, in a call with Wall Street analysts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angie2045 said:

I wonder if the RCC will be prepared for the amount of children onboard the Icon. Since they is the first ship geared towards young families, I would imagine it will have more children onboard then any other ship. I hope this doesn't negatively impact bookings at the kids club and crowds for kid related activities. Do you think RCC would have anticipated this issue and are designing the Icon accordingly? 

Nope, the thought never crossed their minds.

• Haha 2

The majority of people who are booking the Ultimate family Townhouse are not even looking at the price.  They are doing it for the experience.  Them booking that is no differently than many of us jumping over that $100 balcony for 2 taxes in.  The old saying "if you have to ask what it costs" certainly applies in this case.  It's not a matter of them using the money for a $75,000 pool, these are the people who have built the pool for millions and are now buying pool furniture for the 75k

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, moposh said:

Doesn't sound to private with people peeking over the fence and those trying to get in your back yard to play on your ping pong table.

"Down the steps into the backyard, you’ll find a ping pong table and some cosy seats, along with a white picket fence which opens straight into the Surfside neighbourhood on the ship, so you’ve got easy access to the splash areas and many of the best family-friendly features on the ship."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, moposh said:

“Just one little nugget that gets me very excited is, and it’s only one category of room, but the Ultimate Family Townhouse that we sell on Icon, which is a three-story experience for younger families, is already 55 percent sold for 2024 and at an average price of $75,000 per week,” Bayley said, in a call with Wall Street analysts.

MB obviously hasn't received a sales update on that in a while.  I just went through from may though the end of the year and only 3 weeks are available.  July 21 94k, Oct 5 67k and Dec 14 at 83k

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moposh said:

Wonder how much of what comes out of Bayley's mouth is the truth? or is he just trying to drum up more business?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

MB obviously hasn't received a sales update on that in a while.  I just went through from may though the end of the year and only 3 weeks are available.  July 21 94k, Oct 5 67k and Dec 14 at 83k

But just think about the value they say it comes with...Free drinks and free WIFI and a Butler that will cost you an extra couple thousand to tip.  What a deal