Port of Cobh, Ireland

Bethe55

We are sailing on Celebrity Apex and one port of call is Cork, but we dock in Cobh. Was wondering if anyone has been there and could help with some information. Are their taxis available when you get off the ships in Cobh? Will they take you to Kinsale? We have a limited time in port and some of our group has already been to Cork. We have been told Kinsale is a nice little village to visit. 
thanks in advance. 

Elizabeth 

1 hour ago, Bethe55 said:

We are sailing on Celebrity Apex and one port of call is Cork, but we dock in Cobh. Was wondering if anyone has been there and could help with some information. Are their taxis available when you get off the ships in Cobh? Will they take you to Kinsale? We have a limited time in port and some of our group has already been to Cork. We have been told Kinsale is a nice little village to visit. 
thanks in advance. 

Elizabeth 

@Bethe55

Howdy Elizabeth and welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards! I see it has been a while since you have posted on the boards.

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forumHowever, your thread was off topic there. That forum is for technical assistance in using these message boards.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the British Isles/Western Europe forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have been to Ireland frequent this forum and hopefully provide the feedback you need.

Cruise Critic is a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting on the boards!  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there. 

Also want to let you know the specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before your cruise. Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. To explain our Roll Call threads, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agree to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships.

suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new replies on your Followed threads because they will come looking for you as notifications! If you need more info on how to do it, please click the following: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard the Cruise Critic message boards!

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

We've been to Kinsale as part of a private excursion (that visited the Blarney Stone as well) we did a few years ago. Nice small town but the time it took to get there only had time for a quick lunch and a walk around the town...not much else to do. I wouldn't opt to go there again.

Stopped to Kinsale last August on the way back from Blarney Castle with Paddywagon Tours.  As we were waiting to reboard the coach at Blarney, the driver commented something to the effect of not sure why tours stop at Kinsale.  I forget where he suggested as an alternative.  I wouldn't go to Kinsale as a destination.  It was a small town, clogged with people and traffic (is it always like that or just on Saturday?).  Didn't take long to look around.  Had a quick lunch.  Sat around waiting for the coach.  I'm thankful for the stop so I could visit a pharmacy to buy some plasters for my blistered toes.  So thankful.  That's my fond memory of Kinsale.  🤣

Cobh itself looked like a nicer place to walk around but there just wasn't time after the tour.

• Like 1

We were on Apex last June with a stop at Cork (Cobh).   First off the Apex is our new favorite ship -fantastic - but that is for another forum.  Our stop was changed from Cobh to Ringaskiddy - I understand this happens frequently.   Not sure who makes these decisions or why so late - but anyway they moved the Apex to Ringaskiddy - so you may want to anticipate that possibility.   It is right across the bay - we could see the other ship docked  at Cobh, however due to the shape/size of the bay it appears to be a good drive - maybe a 45 minute drive between the two.   Ringaskiddy is an industrial area.  Not friendly to walking, tourism, etc.    They allowed the cruise ship excursion buses up close to the ship but taxis and independent excursions appeared to be lined up outside of the port area.   Certainly walkable to taxis but a good walk.   Ringaskiddy is closer drive to Kinsale than Cobh is to Kinsale.

I think this stop  is a good choice to take a ships excursion due to the two different port areas - let the cruise line get the buses to the right port.   We took the ship's excursion to Blarney.   I was pleasantly surprised... the grounds were beautiful.   Our bus tour guide (a local) said they sometimes get calls the morning of whether to go to Cobh or Ringaskiddy. 

Enjoy your trip on the Apex, we certainly did.

Is that the Apex cruise departing Amsterdam on May 14th?

The itinerary shows an overnight in Cobh on the night of May 17th (arrive May 17 depart May 18 evening).  

The Port of Cork schedule shows Apex docked in Cobh (but only on 17th 🙄).

An earlier Apex cruise that is shown as being in Cork on 2nd and 3rd of May (again overnighting), but strangely, shows May 2nd at Cobh and May 3rd at Ringaskiddy.  However the Apex itinerary only lists May 2nd for Cork.

I think the Port schedule is still a 'work in progress' .

8 hours ago, CCJack said:

We were on Apex last June with a stop at Cork (Cobh).   First off the Apex is our new favorite ship -fantastic - but that is for another forum.  Our stop was changed from Cobh to Ringaskiddy - I understand this happens frequently.   Not sure who makes these decisions or why so late - but anyway they moved the Apex to Ringaskiddy - so you may want to anticipate that possibility.   It is right across the bay - we could see the other ship docked  at Cobh, however due to the shape/size of the bay it appears to be a good drive - maybe a 45 minute drive between the two.   Ringaskiddy is an industrial area.  Not friendly to walking, tourism, etc.    They allowed the cruise ship excursion buses up close to the ship but taxis and independent excursions appeared to be lined up outside of the port area.   Certainly walkable to taxis but a good walk.   Ringaskiddy is closer drive to Kinsale than Cobh is to Kinsale.

I think this stop  is a good choice to take a ships excursion due to the two different port areas - let the cruise line get the buses to the right port.   We took the ship's excursion to Blarney.   I was pleasantly surprised... the grounds were beautiful.   Our bus tour guide (a local) said they sometimes get calls the morning of whether to go to Cobh or Ringaskiddy. 

Enjoy your trip on the Apex, we certainly did.

Clarification on my post above... I did not mean to imply Celebrity made the decision to dock at Ringaskiddy the morning of arrival.   They did tell us before the cruise started (however just before) that it had changed to Ringaskiddy.   The comment from the tour bus driver about changing the morning of arrival I think meant that they (tour guides, taxi drivers, bus drivers, etc.) sometimes are not informed until last minute of changes and causes frustration for them the morning of the tours.   VMax1700 correct in that port schedule is likely work in progress up until very shortly before arrival.  

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone clarify if there will be taxis waiting to pick people up at the port?  We would like to see some of the sights, but we also have some financial business to handle while in the country so we need to stop at a bank in Cork for a bit.  

2 hours ago, Gregg00ss said:

Can anyone clarify if there will be taxis waiting to pick people up at the port?  We would like to see some of the sights, but we also have some financial business to handle while in the country so we need to stop at a bank in Cork for a bit.  

Yes, of course there will be...a ship is is port.

We also went to Blarney Castle which we enjoyed and stopped at Blarney Woollen Mills for some  shopping. Then had an Irish Coffee sitting outside by the hotel. Back in Cobh, we had a pleasant walk about before boarding the ship which was docked there. Very enjoyable shore excursion.

22 hours ago, Gregg00ss said:

There are taxis waiting on the quayside at the ship and also in the town centre (300 yds).

For your banking business, there is an AIB in Cobh, just opposite the quay,   https://aib.ie/branches/cork/cobh

• 2 weeks later...

Been in Cobh in June 2022 and can you tell you this:

Cobh itself is also worthwhile to stay instead of going somewhere else...

It's connected to cruising since over 100 years, that very port was the last stop of the Titanic and a nice museum in the former ticket office is great to visit, also nearby the Lusitania was torbedoed and sunk and the survivors where brought here on land...also nice to visit is nearby "Spike Island" a former jail and fortress (has to be booked in advance online) and right beside the pier is the "Heritage Museum" where one can learn about the interesting story of this place...over 2'000'000 Irish immigrated from here into the world...

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:44 AM, onyx007 said:

Been in Cobh in June 2022 and can you tell you this:

Cobh itself is also worthwhile to stay instead of going somewhere else...

It's connected to cruising since over 100 years, that very port was the last stop of the Titanic and a nice museum in the former ticket office is great to visit, also nearby the Lusitania was torbedoed and sunk and the survivors where brought here on land...also nice to visit is nearby "Spike Island" a former jail and fortress (has to be booked in advance online) and right beside the pier is the "Heritage Museum" where one can learn about the interesting story of this place...over 2'000'000 Irish immigrated from here into the world...

Thank you for this information.  We will be there in September.  Being of Irish descent, I will definitely visit the Heritage Museum.  I guess there is no reason to go elsewhere in the area.  Can you recommend a good place for a pint and some lunch?

Thanks, Bill

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 5:53 PM, ssawjo said:

Thank you for this information.  We will be there in September.  Being of Irish descent, I will definitely visit the Heritage Museum.  I guess there is no reason to go elsewhere in the area.  Can you recommend a good place for a pint and some lunch?

Thanks, Bill

I cannot recommend out of my own experience, but the place at the main square (opposite Titanic Experience, right beside the monument for the Lusitania victims) looked quite nice.

2 hours ago, Canuker said:

Oh no it wasn't!

I presume that you are being facetious.

Cobh, formerly known as Queenstown, is known as the Titanic's last stop because that is the port from which her last 123 passengers (63 male 60 female) boarded.  The ship did not dock but the passengers were tendered out to the ship which was moored at the outer anchorage at Roches Point (which, by the way, is a wonderful spot to be when the cruise ships are sailing in or out of Cork harbour).

Titanic was moored in Cork harbour for only 2 hours but left a lasting memory in the town.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Canuker said:

Oh no it wasn't!

As VMax1700 pointed out; Cobh use to be called Queenstown....

Didn't know that before I visited myself...

Edited by onyx007

On 3/10/2023 at 11:53 AM, ssawjo said:

Thanks, Bill

When we have cruised to Cobh in the past, we always love to stop at Kelly's Bar.  They have live Irish music, good beers and Irish coffees.  I don't know if they offer food, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SueMo said:

When we have cruised to Cobh in the past, we always love to stop at Kelly's Bar.  They have live Irish music, good beers and Irish coffees.  I don't know if they offer food, though.

I will make it a point to stop and have a pint or two.  Who cares about food.  Beer has three of the four major food groups, LOL!  Thanks for the tip.

Another vote for Kelly’s Bar. Just watch the time, on one occasion I saw three gentlemen running for the ship after one too many Guinness.

In 2009 on the world cruise from Australia, the Cobh cathedral used its bells to play Waltzing Matilda.  A very special touch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

No such thing! 😉

They just couldn't run quick enough! 😁

oh there is .. I had an Italian housemate in college who definitely had more than one too many Guinness' over the course of 12 hours . But in a short pace of time you're unlikely to sink so many pints, apart from anything else it takes a bit to pour it properly and to let it settle. 

• Haha 1

Will there be independent tour guides and/or taxis at the port of Cobh that would take us to Kinsale?  I understand there is also a bus in Cork that goes there.   Would a taxi take us to the bus station and does anyone know if that bus would work out?   All of the tours I have found seem to go to Blarney Castle, but we would rather skip that and go to Kinsale and perhaps see some of Cork and Cobh as well.    I cannot find a tour that will do that itinerary.   Any suggestions on making this work during our time in port in July?