Shipping a guitar to Port of Rome Civitvacecchia

Ba8alou

We are doing a transatlantic cruise on NCL Nov 2023. I want to see Venice and Milan (train travel) before. Husband insists on bring electric guitar on cruises. Is there a service that will ship guitar from NYC to the Port?

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Ba8alou said:

We are doing a transatlantic cruise on NCL Nov 2023. I want to see Venice and Milan (train travel) before. Husband insists on bring electric guitar on cruises. Is there a service that will ship guitar from NYC to the Port?

Thanks!

Where does he use/play his electric guitar while on the ship such that it doesn't bother other passengers, be it in public areas or in adjacent (sideways/up/down) cabins?

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Where does he use/play his electric guitar while on the ship such that it doesn't bother other passengers, be it in public areas or in adjacent (sideways/up/down) cabins?

GC

No Amp, no sound box, that would be real quiet.

I think there are some practice amps that just drive headphones.

A relief to know he doesn't bring an amplifier!  Shipping it will be easy with one of the shippers listed above.  Probably quite pricey.  The question is "who will receive the package and hold it for you?".  I've shipped boxes successfully before to a hotel where we sleep the night before a cruise.  But not often, only domestically, and always to a Hilton property where I have status and feel that they'll extend the courtesy and not 'lose' the thing.  Or would the shipper maybe hold it for you to pick up when you get to Roma?

Edited by jsn55
thought add

Would it be that difficult to just bring it along instead of shipping it?  Electric guitar in a case with a shoulder strap shouldn't be too difficult to handle.  Easy to store on a train.  Save some worry, and maybe even a few bucks.     

Edited by ldubs

We just did an air flight where there was a band group on board.  One of the band members was bringing his 12 string w him on board.   I was wondering where he was going to put it as it would obviously take too much overhead space.  He put it in the coat closet at the front of the airplane.  I am sure that he had to clear it w the airline ahead of time.

Funny story about traveling w an instrument.  My daughter plays the cello.  Many years ago she went to music camp and had to take her cello.  We ended up buying 2 airline tickets.  One for Denise and one for Denise's cello.  Don't know if that would work now.

Check out this very funny video about traveling w guitar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

DON

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Might not be the most popular response but have you considered telling your husband to leave the damn guitar at home?

I was thinking the same thing.  Glad that you said it first.  Alternatively leave him home or buy him a ukulele or a harmonica.  

DON

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Might not be the most popular response but have you considered telling your husband to leave the damn guitar at home?

About time someone suggested that he not subordinate his wife’s trip to his vanity. How would he be able to help her with her luggage - rather than imposing extra effort on her so he could bring his neighbor-annoying plaything?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Well, he'd pout the whole trip and ruin everything.  He'd make constant negative remarks about her unreasonable attitude and how she's ruining his trip.  She would be tempted to launch him off the balcony.  I understand the syndrome, but I would not be helping him for one second.  I think the harmonica is the best solution for everyone.

39 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Well, he'd pout the whole trip and ruin everything.  He'd make constant negative remarks about her unreasonable attitude and how she's ruining his trip.  She would be tempted to launch him off the balcony.  I understand the syndrome, but I would not be helping him for one second.  I think the harmonica is the best solution for everyone.

I still think that the best solution would be to say that if he wants the guitar she isn't going and then she books a trip on her know.  Based on his selfish attitude a divorce might also be a good idea.

DON

His guitar, his problem. Let him figure it out. Maybe once he sees the difficulty, he’ll realize the inconvenience of such a silly thing. If his wife shoulders the responsibility of getting it done, he won’t know how silly he’s being. 

• Thanks 1