Riviera Live — February 10th

What A Market

2 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Getting up for lunch should not be a lounge loss.  Same as getting up for the bathroom!! And shouldn’t have to make lunch “quick”.  Some have lunch in MDR and can easily take an hour.  As long as you’re at the pool for the day, should be your lounge.  
It’s those who go off for an excursion and return hours later that are unfair to fellow passengers, not someone who needs to “get up” for a good reason.

keep telling yourself that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, What A Market said:

Time to swing my thread off the topic of chair hogs…… LOL

Back home for about a week. Boo. Back at work. Double Boo!

Our last evening of the cruise was dinner at Jacques. Lovely dinner and wine service. Our entrees and sides were over salted. Not had that happen before at Jacques. Appetizers were all fine.  Waiter, wine steward, and assistant waiter were all concerned over the unfinished plates in front of us, but we gorged on starters so didn’t go hungry.

A few photos: foie gras with grilled pineapple (really excellent), my veal chop (cooked perfectly, but over salted), and an excellent and very well priced French red (when in Rome, so to speak. Ha!)

D5BFED7B-DF69-41CB-8215-FC077B2A0B9B.jpeg

01EA14C0-F458-432B-9C24-A6B3E35DB634.jpeg

BB84C0C3-6946-4C6A-B7F3-E4AB6F2E003A.jpeg

That looks great, were you saving your loungers while enjoying this meal? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, What A Market said:

...Our last evening of the cruise was dinner at Jacques. Lovely dinner and wine service. Our entrees and sides were over salted.

It all looks delicious, too bad it was over salted. I can always add salt to my meal, but can't take it away 😞 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

I thought that saving them for a quick trip to lunch was acceptable?  But maybe this goes back a while....Not for a LONG lunch of course....but I hate eating in the sun....hence like to leave my lounge to enjoy lunch in the shade or inside....

On our recent cruise(Jan. 31) There were a number of chair hogs. This was due to extra sea day. I watched one couple who hogged 4 loungers pool side. They went to lunch & were gone nearly 2 hours. I called over the pool attendant & told him to clear those for other pax. The attendants seem to becoming more reluctant to do that part of their job. The Cruise director made a few announcements saying they would crack down. They really didn't.

16 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Getting up for lunch should not be a lounge loss.  Same as getting up for the bathroom!! And shouldn’t have to make lunch “quick”.  Some have lunch in MDR and can easily take an hour.  As long as you’re at the pool for the day, should be your lounge.  
It’s those who go off for an excursion and return hours later that are unfair to fellow passengers, not someone who needs to “get up” for a good reason.

Wow! You're the epitome of a chair hog & pretty much admit it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ORV said:

That looks great, were you saving your loungers while enjoying this meal? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

The Foie Gras was excellent on board as always. I'm sure some food moralist will come along about not eating it. yada yada.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Wow! You're the epitome of a chair hog & pretty much admit it.

You like to toss about your “chair hog” description. Get a good book and stop watching how long everyone’s lunch and/or bathroom and/or swim time takes.

I completely agree 2 hours away too long and yes, one couple holding 4 loungers unacceptable. However, your harsh label of me for wanting a lunch and bathroom break is mean spirited. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

...Get a good book and stop watching how long everyone’s lunch and/or bathroom and/or swim time takes. I completely agree 2 hours away too long and yes, one couple holding 4 loungers unacceptable. However, your harsh label of me for wanting a lunch and bathroom break is mean spirited.

A key consideration here is how many passengers are on your ship and at the pool. IF the pool area is full and you can see that people are looking for loungers, no one begrudges anyone a bathroom break, but an hour for lunch is unacceptable. Depending upon the cruise and time of year, the prime sun may be gone by 4 pm. Taking up an hour during lunch (11-2) is rude when people are ready, willing and able to use the lounger while you eat. So EAT first then lounge, if lounging is so important.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

A key consideration here is how many passengers are on your ship and at the pool. IF the pool area is full and you can see that people are looking for loungers, no one begrudges anyone a bathroom break, but an hour for lunch is unacceptable. Depending upon the cruise and time of year, the prime sun may be gone by 4 pm. Taking up an hour during lunch (11-2) is rude when people are ready, willing and able to use the lounger while you eat. So EAT first then lounge, if lounging is so important.

The bathroom break is legit, as is a short lunch or swimming in the pool but anything else is just selfish. I’ve frequently seen stuff on chairs as early as 8 am and come back after breakfast to see the chairs still unoccupied. This whole chair thing is one of the reasons we get balcony cabins. Then we have our own reserved space and don’t have to face the hassle of finding a vacant lounger around the pool. I have the same problem with hot tub hogs.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

... This whole chair thing is one of the reasons we get balcony cabins. Then we have our own reserved space and don’t have to face the hassle of finding a vacant lounger around the pool. I have the same problem with hot tub hogs.

We cruise for the itineraries and port excursions. Our upcoming B2B on Riviera is for 20 nights. Just 2 sea days. Two too many for me, but my wife does enjoy at least one sea day on a cruise. So the loungers aren't much of an issue for me. I swim in the pool on the bigger O class ship and walk in the tiny "pool" on the smaller R class ship. I shower, dry off, and go somewhere else I want to be. I can't wait for our 10 nights on Sirena in the Baltic in late 2024. NO sea day!

I'm just aghast at how rude and insensitive some people, a small percentage, can be due to a sense of entitlement and an unwillingness to work with their fellow passengers and even the crew doing their jobs.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, What A Market said:

A few photos: foie gras with grilled pineapple (really excellent), my veal chop (cooked perfectly, but over salted), and an excellent and very well priced French red (when in Rome, so to speak. Ha!)

Thank you so much for posting live from Riviera.  As someone posted, the pics are "envy inducing"😀

Edited by cruisingxpert
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jayne E said:

You like to toss about your “chair hog” description. Get a good book and stop watching how long everyone’s lunch and/or bathroom and/or swim time takes.

I completely agree 2 hours away too long and yes, one couple holding 4 loungers unacceptable. However, your harsh label of me for wanting a lunch and bathroom break is mean spirited. 

Bathroom break is not mentioned by me for good reason! To take an hour(or more, time flies!) is simply unacceptable. Unless your name is stenciled on that lounger, once you leave to eat lunch, you forfeit your seat. Stop trying to entitle yourself at the expense of others. We do not save our loungers to go to lunch. We will vacate to eat.Possibly, if we can bring food from the Terrace, we'll do that, but it takes a few minutes for a quick run. Unlike others I will return the "dirties" to the Terrace & not leave them like some pax I've seen. I'm commenting about Riviera, as we've not been on any of the smaller ships.

• Like 3

On 2/26/2023 at 6:11 PM, BWV said:

OK - so, armed with little jars of our favourite jams from a store in Niagara-on-the-Lake, we'll be ready for boarding on March 12!!  🙂

I think we know that store. Don't remember it's name, but Keith really stocked up on Jams. Wonderful store along the road. Been over 20 years since we've been there. Someone said Greaves. Sounds familiar. Feels like you're on a side street in London.

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, rbtan said:

I think we know that store. Don't remember it's name, but Keith really stocked up on Jams. Wonderful store along the road. Been over 20 years since we've been there. Someone said Greaves. Sounds familiar. Feels like you're on a side street in London.

They deliver-at least in the GTA and possibly Southern Ontario!

3 hours ago, BWV said:

They deliver-at least in the GTA and possibly Southern Ontario!

You can buy Greaves in some small shops around Ontario

Our local market carried them where we used to live  North of TO

You can buy the larger jars in the local supermarkets  but would take up more space & weight  in baggage 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You can buy Greaves in some small shops around Ontario

Our local market carried them where we used to live  North of TO

You can buy the larger jars in the local supermarkets  but would take up more space & weight  in baggage 😉

Wanted to try Greaves so went on Amazon but they do not have them..so sad..I will be in Vancouver in September will they have Geraves??

Jancruz1