Non toilet-trained baby on a cruise- how to occupy

Brexitbob

Hi! I will be cruising on MSC Divina around the bahamas and I was initially very excited. Unfortunately I have found out the rule about babies in swim nappies being banned from the pools and I am a bit worried. Our baby has been going to swimming lessons since they were tiny and they love the water. A big part of the appeal was having everything on site and being able to enjoy the water daily with our baby- but now I’m a bit concerned about me and my husband being stuck on the deck of a ship with a bored crawler who we can’t even take into the water with us.

Rules are rules, not fighting them and I should have done my research better before I got excited but my question is now- how do you entertain a baby deckside when you as parents want to swim/read/sunbathe in shifts?

Am I able to bring a small (less than 100cm wide) paddling pool and fill it with shower water? Just so baby can splash and play with water toys?

Can I put a pack n play/travel cot in between our loungers in the shade?

Just worried about the logistics now. Everyone told me that cruising with a baby is great but I can’t really think of a way to keep her safe and occupied without me and my husband taking turns to do shifts in our cabin.

Any thoughts and ideas appreciated. Baby will be too young for crèche (they will be 9 months old) for MSC so I don’t think this is an option for an hour or two a day.

thank you so much!!

Edited by Brexitbob
Typos!

Just for some extra info- baby is at the age where she wants to MOVE. She won’t stay in a pram not tolerate being held for too long- hence why I am asking if a travel playpen or mini splash pool would be allowed, so she has somewhere safe and cool to sit with us.

35 minutes ago, Brexitbob said:

Any thoughts and ideas appreciated. Baby will be too young for crèche (they will be 9 months old) for MSC so I don’t think this is an option for an hour or two a day.

Hi Bob!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have no insight, but thought I would give you some direct links for other 'boards' on CC that might be helpful:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/49-msc-cruises/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/544-uk-cruisers/

Edited by crystalspin

Random thoughts: 

- Choose a ship that includes a water splash play area for toddlers.  I doubt a crawling baby would differentiate between a splash area and a pool.  

- I'd keep the baby away from the pool ... it's mean to let her see the pool and deny her entry into it.  You can easily avoid walking by it. 

- Plan on island beach days, where the baby can swim.  Pack some small sand toys. 

- No, do not bring a wading pool or a Pack-n-Play to the pool deck -- no space for such a thing.  

- If you and your husband want time by the pool (and why wouldn't you?) consider putting the baby into the Kids' Club for a couple hours ... then take her to the kids' play area.  

9 hours ago, Brexitbob said:

Hi! I will be cruising on MSC Divina around the bahamas and I was initially very excited. Unfortunately I have found out the rule about babies in swim nappies being banned from the pools and I am a bit worried. Our baby has been going to swimming lessons since they were tiny and they love the water. A big part of the appeal was having everything on site and being able to enjoy the water daily with our baby- but now I’m a bit concerned about me and my husband being stuck on the deck of a ship with a bored crawler who we can’t even take into the water with us.

Rules are rules, not fighting them and I should have done my research better before I got excited but my question is now- how do you entertain a baby deckside when you as parents want to swim/read/sunbathe in shifts?

Am I able to bring a small (less than 100cm wide) paddling pool and fill it with shower water? Just so baby can splash and play with water toys?

Can I put a pack n play/travel cot in between our loungers in the shade?

Just worried about the logistics now. Everyone told me that cruising with a baby is great but I can’t really think of a way to keep her safe and occupied without me and my husband taking turns to do shifts in our cabin.

thank you so much!!

9 hours ago, Brexitbob said:

Just for some extra info- baby is at the age where she wants to MOVE. She won’t stay in a pram not tolerate being held for too long- hence why I am asking if a travel playpen or mini splash pool would be allowed, so she has somewhere safe and cool to sit with us.

Howdy @Brexitbob and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

Thank you for your new thread on the First Time Cruisers forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding first cruises. Your inquiry concerns entertaining a baby deck side when you want to swim/read/sunbathe in shifts and is off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Family Cruises forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members cruising with babies frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various message board forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there. Also, check out one of the Cruise Critic articles titled Best Cruises for Kids that has a Kid-Friendly Cruises on MSC Cruises section. It mentions MSC has a separate baby care area for the youngest up to toddlers.

Also want to let you know the specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before your cruise. Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line or ship before with babies. To explain our Roll Call threads, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. Also, check out another Cruise Critic article titled 8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. Welcome again, and we are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

18 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- Choose a ship that includes a water splash play area for toddlers.  I doubt a crawling baby would differentiate between a splash area and a pool.

That limits you to the Disney ships, and the RCI Oasis, Quantum, and Freedom class ships, and a few Voyager class ships.  Splash areas for toddlers are different from splash areas that allow non-potty trained kids.

18 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If you and your husband want time by the pool (and why wouldn't you?) consider putting the baby into the Kids' Club for a couple hours ... then take her to the kids' play area. 

Many cruise lines do not allow non-potty trained kids in the Kids Club.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That limits you to the Disney ships, and the RCI Oasis, Quantum, and Freedom class ships, and a few Voyager class ships.  Splash areas for toddlers are different from splash areas that allow non-potty trained kids.

Many cruise lines do not allow non-potty trained kids in the Kids Club.

That's a lot of ships from which to choose. 

When I was last onboard a Royal ship (December), I checked into the kids' clubs for my daughter.  They take kids at 6 months in the youngest group.  

Unfortunately, it seems the OP didn't research fully before booking their cruise if letting their little one get wet was important to them.

Unfortunately, at least on cruises out of the US, it's a health issue. If there were an accident in the pool, it would need to be closed, cleaned, sanitized, and refilled, closing the pool for hours. The ships that have splash pads for swim-diapered kids have them as a separate system. Just to note, this rule doesn't just apply to babies, but to people on the other end of the spectrum who need to wear similar items.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

Just to note, this rule doesn't just apply to babies, but to people on the other end of the spectrum who need to wear similar items.

But, I don't think Gramps would be satisfied with the swim diaper splash pool!  😁

Just bumping for more advice because I don’t feel like I have answers.

Parents with small babies on cruises- how do you occupy them?

Can I set up a small pack and play or travel bassinet for naps at the side of the sunlounger?

Can I pack a small paddling pool?

Any advice on how to entertain a crawling baby on a cruise?

MSC is fine to have non toilet trained babies in the crèche- but my baby is 3 months too young too access the babysitting service. They need to be 12 months old. 

The cruise was booked by family members for a family celebration. I’d have obviously done my research better if it was me doing the booking.

17 minutes ago, Brexitbob said:

Can I set up a small pack and play or travel bassinet for naps at the side of the sunlounger?

As noted, likely not enough room for this.

18 minutes ago, Brexitbob said:

This would need to be an inflatable tub, not a pool, just about the size of the child's butt and legs when sitting, and even this can be complicated if the pool deck is really crowded.  You would have to fill from one of the showers on the pool deck, and empty in the same place.  If you have a balcony cabin, one of these inflatable tubs would be good there.

3 hours ago, Brexitbob said:

MSC is fine to have non toilet trained babies in the crèche- but my baby is 3 months too young too access the babysitting service. They need to be 12 months old. 

The cruise was booked by family members for a family celebration. I’d have obviously done my research better if it was me doing the booking.

How do you occupy the baby at home?  Same things work on a ship. 

Absolutely no to a Pack-n-Play on the pool deck; this would infringe on your fellow passengers' space.  Same for a small pool.  

If you're traveling with family, perhaps you're bringing built-in baby sitters.  We're planning a family cruise next year, and -- with two sets of doting grandparents + aunts and uncles -- I expect my then-3-year-old grandson will not NEED to go to the kids' club at all (but I suspect he will want to go).  His parents are going to get plenty of "time off".  

Bring a small blanket or quilt, or ask cabin steward for one.  Find an empty lounge-lots of them are empty during the day - spread it out so he can crawl around.  Take toys.  There is usually ambient music playing, maybe he would like to dance…. EM

5 hours ago, Brexitbob said:

There are no answers - only suggestions.

Here is a picture of the main pool on Divina.  You might note there is not much space between loungers, even difficult to get in on and off lounger.  

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

There is more space around the aft infinity pool, but I can't remember if that area is adults only.  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 9:54 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

That's a lot of ships from which to choose. 

When I was last onboard a Royal ship (December), I checked into the kids' clubs for my daughter.  They take kids at 6 months in the youngest group.  

Most RC ships have a fee based nursery for children 6 months to 3 years.  The OP would need to research which ships offer this (I know Adventure doesn't, but think most do).  Disney has a fee based nursery on all its ships.  Precovid, Princess allowed children under 3 to attend the kids club without parental supervision. 

This is what I found online about MSC:  https://www.msccruisesusa.com/on-board/cruise-for-kids/clubs .  If the website is accurate, there is a baby room and  they will let you stay with your child or do drop off care.  You can go with your child at the start of the cruise and stay and observe the quality of the caregivers.  If you trust the caregivers and your child is comfortable (which isn't a given but a possibility) then later in the cruise you can consider using drop off care.  The youngest we ever sailed was 2, and while staying in the Princess kids club was a bit of a drag compared to drop off care, they did an amazing job keeping my child entertained so I could sit in a chair and just read a book.  

Also, please note that (at least precovid) Carnival and Cunard start drop off care at the age of 2. Carnival allows non potty trained children to attend their kids club activities.  

Our daughter was 9 month on her first cruise. We just took her wherever we went, let her crawl in the disco which is not in use during the day or in a quite lounge. When I went swimming, dad took her around the ship. As she was taking quite a few naps a day at that time, she did those either in her stroller or one of us stayed with her in our stateroom. We took a few toys but all in all she was fascinated with all there was to see. 

Don´t fret, it´s not the vacation it used to be, but its still good. Hours and hours a day in a deck chair were not practical with my kid, we where more the action seeking group.

• Like 1

My son was 8 months on his first cruise. It was the easiest cruise we’ve done with kids. He was entertained by just wandering around the ship. I also packed a bunch of toys, a blanket, get a cup of coffee and find a quiet lounge that wasn’t in use, let him stretch out and play on the floor while I would read and have my coffee. Also let him eat just about everything. He had his first taste of ice cream, he would eat croissants every morning, he absolutely loved it