Feasibility of flying into West Palm Beach for a Ft. Lauderdale departure

Incognito1

Not an issue at all. As the other poster stated allow time and value the time/money saved. $200 a ticket is worth it. If it was $50 a ticket (assuming two tickets) I might not do it, but if you are saving hundreds it seems like it would worth the extra time. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

What do you mean squeeze into a Spirit Flight? If you have not flown Spirit in about 3 years, they have replaced 80% of their planes and have plenty of leg room. A lot more than they used to have. 

Unless you buy a seat with more space, they have 28-inch leg room, mall tray table, and crazy thin arm rest and no seat recline. 28inches is about 2 inches less than standard. On the other side JetBlue has 32-34 inches in their standard seats. 

A Sprit A321-NEO fits 235 passengers. Same exact airplane (without first class seats) for JetBlue fits 200 passengers. Those 35 extra seats come in due to small amount of leg room. 

Edited by Flymia
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

WPB airport is to the west of I-95. 

Yes, but just barely to the west.  When you leave the airport you immediately connect to I-95 and can go south.  

I will say that traffic between WPB and FLL is absolutely terrible most days.  Give plenty of time if you are going by car.

9 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

Im 5'8" and have a ton of leg room. Almost a foot to the seat in front of me. 

Everyone has their preferences.  Delta is good for me, so are Alaska and SW.  Couldn't pay me to fly Frontier, and Spirit would have to have a substantial discount for us.  But I have a co-worker who can afford to fly whatever he wants, and Spirit is his first choice -- he says it's because the stewardesses are new and try harder.

How far from Port Everglades is WPB, please?

image.thumb.png.5c8563411fa0ca495e0d964c85292ef1.png

UBER X right now is $75  (dropped to $60 as I was typing), XL $139

Both places are minutes off 95 so it is a straight shot ... 

it is possible to travel between the two by train ... BUT

the stations are not AT the airport or the cruise port so you need an additional transportation step at each end and could waiting for 'the next train' which could be a while ..... like an hour . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1

I will say that traffic between WPB and FLL is absolutely terrible most days.  Give plenty of time if you are going by car.

I lived in Miami for over 10 years, daughter now lives in West Palm so still a frequent visitor from a lil north on I-95 ....

usually my problem on 95 is not SLOW but damn fast .......

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

I lived in Miami for over 10 years, daughter now lives in West Palm so still a frequent visitor from a lil north on I-95 ....

usually my problem on 95 is not SLOW but damn fast .......

Well, Melbourne to WPB can sometimes get crowded too these days, although I do think it is a much better drive than WPB going south.  Boca is a nightmare most days, as is near downtown FLL, and of course, going into Miami on 95.  They have the new Express toll lanes, and I usually always take them if I am heading into Miami.

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2023 at 8:40 AM, Rothko1 said:

Well, Melbourne to WPB can sometimes get crowded too these days, although I do think it is a much better drive than WPB going south.  Boca is a nightmare most days, as is near downtown FLL, and of course, going into Miami on 95.  They have the new Express toll lanes, and I usually always take them if I am heading into Miami.

Your post definitely makes me think you can help me with my question.

I am helping a friend plan her travel to a Vero Beach wedding.  Flight prices are almost identical to MCO or to WPB.  I’ve driven from MCO to Melbourne as well as MCO to Port Canaveral, but I have never attempted the northern route from the West Palm Beach airport.  Which airport drive to Vero Beach might you recommend?