My opinion on Beyond--Infinity Verandah

mizLORInj

2 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I will reiterate this until I drop dead: there is no way you went to guest services and they didn't tell you to just close the accordion doors to keep the AC on. If the heating or cooling doesn't function when the accordion doors are closed, it's a maintenance issue or user error... not how the stateroom is designed to work.

I sailed the Edge in Europe in 2019 during the heat wave, and they were repeatedly reminding us to close the accordion doors to keep the HVAC on in the room. These cabins would not be usable without that functionality. Imagine being in Alaska and not having the heat stay on in the room every time someone opened their verandah?! 

Again false information, the AC sensor controls are in the window not the accordion door, as many many here have stated repeatably.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Why would I possibly lie about this? If I wanted to troll people on Cruise Critic, I would start topics about how the buffet is horrible, or room service fees.

You are the one who is lying and giving false information, I doubt you have ever been in an IV cabin. Go Troll somewhere else, please.

Edited by terrydtx

4 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I will reiterate this until I drop dead: there is no way you went to guest services and they didn't tell you to just close the accordion doors to keep the AC on. If the heating or cooling doesn't function when the accordion doors are closed, it's a maintenance issue or user error... not how the stateroom is designed to work.

I sailed the Edge in Europe in 2019 during the heat wave, and they were repeatedly reminding us to close the accordion doors to keep the HVAC on in the room. These cabins would not be usable without that functionality. Imagine being in Alaska and not having the heat stay on in the room every time someone opened their verandah?! 

Sorry but that makes no sense.  You are saying if the accordion doors are open, the a/c goes off?  On the beyond, it did not matter if the accordion doors were open or closed - the a/c was on until we opened the window.  And when we opened the window, the a/c was off with the A.doors open or closed.  I looked - there was not a sensor on the doors - just the window.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Again false information, the AC sensor controls are in the window not the accordion door, as many many here have stated repeatably.

Of course - the entire point of having a IV is to have extra in-side air conditioned space in the cabin when the window is closed.   Why have the extra inside space if the accordion doors have to be closed for the AC to work?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

You are the one who is lying and giving false information, I doubt you have ever been in an IV cabin.

(ed. note, this website is regularly the worst place on the internet)

As Whitney would say: "show me the receipts!" Well, here's my dining room assignment from 2019. Feel free to pull up the deck plans. Just remember, I'm only here to lie and convince people to fork over their money to get into a cabin with no functional HVAC system, because that's a thing people do on cruise critic 🤷‍♂️

IMG_4470(1).thumb.jpeg.d9755c71beee50ba09ab25ede59c6121.jpeg

12 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Why have the extra inside space if the accordion doors have to be closed for the AC to work?

Because that makes it a balcony... you can 1) either open the window and have the HVAC shut off, or you can 2) open the window + close the accordion doors to make it function like a normal balcony. keeping the heating cooling on in the rest of the stateroom. And you don't have to keep the accordion doors closed for the AC/heat to function normally... only with the window open.

Edited by AstoriaPreppy

17 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Of course - the entire point of having a IV is to have extra in-side air conditioned space in the cabin when the window is closed.   Why have the extra inside space if the accordion doors have to be closed for the AC to work?

The only confusion I can think of is when the window is open and the doors are closed the already cold AC air in the cabin will not go out the window as fast.  However in this case the AC is definitely off and the cabin will stay cool for a while but the AC will not come back on until the window is closed.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, volk904 said:

I think Celebrity needs to build 2-3 smaller ships to replace the M class.  There are some places the E class is too large like Tampa.   A modern version on the M would be nice.  

The trend seems to be going in the opposite direction, they built the larger E-Class then for the 3rd, 4th and presumably 5th E-Class ship, lengthened it...I'm incredibly interested to hear what the next X class is

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I agree. DH and I tested this extensively (as we geeks do lol) on the first Edge transatlantic. We were in an Infinite Veranda cabin, and we tested the AC, bifold doors and Infinite Veranda thoroughly. I included this information in the review I wrote at the end of the cruise.  One very amusing finding was the significant gaps between the bifold doors, and at the sides of the bifold doors. They were definitely not designed to be airtight.

20190428_133311.jpg

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The trend seems to be going in the opposite direction, they built the larger E-Class then for the 3rd, 4th and presumably 5th E-Class ship, lengthened it...I'm incredibly interested to hear what the next X class is

Passenger size wise the E Class are not much if any larger than the last S class ships.  I would hope that Celebrity stays in the 2800-3200 passenger range so as to not become mega ships. For the mainstream cruise lines smaller ships are a thing of the past as they cannot generate enough revenue while keeping their prices competitive. Even HAL who still has a couple of small 1400 passengers size ships has gotten away from smaller ships and is now producing 2600-2800 capacity ships in their Pinnacle Class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Because that makes it a balcony... you can 1) either open the window and have the HVAC shut off, or you can 2) open the window + close the accordion doors to make it function like a normal balcony. keeping the heating cooling on in the rest of the stateroom. And you don't have to keep the accordion doors closed for the AC/heat to function normally... only with the window open.

Well we can agree to disagree then as I checked & double checked and there were no sensors on the accordion doors. And when the window was open and the accordion doors were closed, the A/C still did NOT work.  But maybe your room was special.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

,,, which is one of the strongest arguments as to why the IV is absolutely not a balcony.

If the window is open, the AC is off. Period. Bifold open or closed is irrelevant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I often wondered why no one has figured out how to override the sensors on the balcony doors and IV windows.  Isn’t there just a magnet in the door or window that activates the sensor?  As soon as someone finds the location, a small magnet may override the system.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:14 AM, montythecat said:

As far as I am concerned you can add no forward facing lounge to

infinity verandah cabins as a really strange design innovation

which has been widely criticised and has led to many people on

these boards opting for holidays on The Millennium and Solstice 

Class ships.

Agreed, or maybe even other cruise lines.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RobertoF said:

The pitch I made for the fifth and final Edge-class ship: Celebrity Coda.  Short; fits with the four-letter theme of Edge and Apex; has alliteration; and evokes the final movement of a beautiful piece of music.

Not really alliterative: soft C and hard C. 😉

18 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Well we can agree to disagree then as I checked & double checked and there were no sensors on the accordion doors. And when the window was open and the accordion doors were closed, the A/C still did NOT work.  But maybe your room was special.

Why is this so hard to resolve? Can't we get a definitive answer from Celebrity or even the CC Board Admin?

37 minutes ago, kidz_rn said:

Why is this so hard to resolve? Can't we get a definitive answer from Celebrity or even the CC Board Admin?

There's a definitive answer. The bifold doors are cosmetic and have no function whatsoever other than it create an illusion of a separate room. No more, no less. There's only one person on cruise critic that seems to think they know something that is wrong. Why they continue to spread lies id beyond me. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

There's a definitive answer. The bifold doors are cosmetic and have no function whatsoever other than it create an illusion of a separate room. No more, no less. There's only one person on cruise critic that seems to think they know something that is wrong. Why they continue to spread lies id beyond me. 

SOURCE: lifewellcruised dot com

"When the veranda window is open, the air conditioning won’t work. This can lead to the cabin getting hot and humid on Caribbean and other hot weather cruises. While this can be annoying, we’ve experienced the same thing in traditional balcony cabins. On most newer cruise ships the air conditioning will turn off when the balcony doors are open. Tip: If the separator doors are closed, the AC will work."

So which is it? 

6 minutes ago, kidz_rn said:

SOURCE: lifewellcruised dot com

"When the veranda window is open, the air conditioning won’t work. This can lead to the cabin getting hot and humid on Caribbean and other hot weather cruises. While this can be annoying, we’ve experienced the same thing in traditional balcony cabins. On most newer cruise ships the air conditioning will turn off when the balcony doors are open. Tip: If the separator doors are closed, the AC will work.

I've been on all 3 Edge class ships and they are all the same, the bifold doors don't do anything. As a previous post shows they aren't airtight, they are just cosmetic. 

If you look at Royal's new icon of the seas the IV rooms on that ship don't even have bifold doors just curtains to separate the space. The point of the curtains on the Icon and the bifold doors on Celebrity is just to create the illusion of a separate space. Nothing more. 

• Like 2