Beatles cut from Joy

Maplemoose

I have just read a review, not from CC, that mentioned the Beatles band was cut from Joy. Can any recent Joy riders confirm or deny this? If true, it may be the last straw for me with NCL. Cavern Club without the Beatles? Say it ain't so! Source? A pop up from Google, tastyitinerary.com. 

• Haha 1

I haven't sailed on a ship with the Cavern Club / Beatles, I have family who have and raved about it, hopefully just a rumor, it would be a shame to pull such entertainment. Not many care for the direction NCL is going with cuts in services and entertainment, yet keeping prices high and increasing fees, and people may draw the line at some point, I just can't see the Cavern Club without the Beatles, it's a major draw. 

Edited by Beer Belly
  • Like 1

We were on the Joy from Jan 21 to Feb 5. The group that performed was Beatlestory, four guys from Italy. You can do an internet search on them and their website mentions that this current gig is a contract and shows other tours coming up off the ship. This particular group's presence is temporary and would be replaced by other Beatles cover bands or someone else when their contract ends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

I get that sometimes NCL needs to swap out the Beatles performers, however, I do not think there should be a gap.   When you book a particular sailing and NCL is advertising certain entertainment,  they should deliver.    

Agree 100%.  Now get ready for the contract police to come along and point out that the contract says NCL can do whatever the heck they want, passengers be damned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's still a month away...but I'm wishing it was closer! I'll be onboard the Joy March 18th and will report back. I certainly don't plan to go to the Beatles show if offered, but I hope it's offered for all y'all expecting it.

A total aside, big surprise, eh? Can't NCL, just on one ship, put music in a Syd's/Cavern Club environment that's from like the late 90's or 2000's? I know I ask a lot, but I just don't want no Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, etc...I know you all do! I get it and I understand. I'm just asking for one ship for us Millennials. I suppose if I'm cruising in twenty to thirty years I'll be happy though. 🤠

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

A total aside, big surprise, eh? Can't NCL, just on one ship, put music in a Syd's/Cavern Club environment that's from like the late 90's or 2000's? I know I ask a lot, but I just don't want no Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, etc...I know you all do! I get it and I understand. I'm just asking for one ship for us Millennials. I suppose if I'm cruising in twenty to thirty years I'll be happy though. 🤠

Isn't that what the silent disco is for?  Music so bad that you don't want anyone to know what you are listening too 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's still a month away...but I'm wishing it was closer! I'll be onboard the Joy March 18th and will report back. I certainly don't plan to go to the Beatles show if offered, but I hope it's offered for all y'all expecting it.

They are playing to the demographics. At 68, I felt like one of the younger cruisers on our recent trip. Footloose, Divas and Beatles align with the older group. Not geared to a younger audience for sure.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

I have just read a review, not from CC, that mentioned the Beatles band was cut from Joy. Can any recent Joy riders confirm or deny this? If true, it may be the last straw for me with NCL. Cavern Club without the Beatles? Say it ain't so! Source? A pop up from Google, tastyitinerary.com. 

Cruising Joy April 1st, I'll know soon enough.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm just grateful that there are classic rock options on cruise ships now.  Several years ago, it was still primarily ballroom, 40s & 50s music.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Isn't that what the silent disco is for?  Music so bad that you don't want anyone to know what you are listening too 😉

Hahaha you wouldn't catch me dead in those RCL discos! 

21 minutes ago, Raleigh Traveler said:

They are playing to the demographics. At 68, I felt like one of the younger cruisers on our recent trip. Footloose, Divas and Beatles align with the older group. Not geared to a younger audience for sure.

Oh, I do understand. I'm just being a whiny little brat...I suppose I'll get my boombox out and wander around the pool deck with it on my shoulder pumping the beats! (Not really, I swear).

4 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

I'm just grateful that there are classic rock options on cruise ships now.  Several years ago, it was still primarily ballroom, 40s & 50s music.

Interesting! I'd actually prefer Ricky Nelson, The Drifters, Otis Redding, Chuck Berry, etc...I appreciated my grandparents music much more than I ever appreciated my mom's music. 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

i would love more rock options, give me ac dc or guns n roses 

50 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I certainly don't plan to go to the Beatles show if offered, but I hope it's offered for all y'all expecting it.

You might be surprised and enjoy the Beatles show.  My husband is not a fan at all and I mean not a fan in any shape or form.    When we sailed on the Joy last February, he went grudgingly the first night in the main theatre because I wanted to go.     When we sailed again on the Joy seven months later, not only did he want to go to their first night show in the theatre, he wanted to go to their other shows in the Cavern Club as he enjoyed their show that much.    

Also, my son is 23 years old and him and his friends do like the Beatles and he is looking forward to seeing the show on the Epic next month so it is just not always the "older" crowd they draw in.   And his 24 sister and cousins (all in the same age group) will be joining him.

So, give it a try as you never know!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Raleigh Traveler said:

We were on the same cruise, and at 69, I expected to hear "young fella" every time I got in an elevator. As it is, the Joy probably wasn't the best ship for that cruise, even if it was full. A number of venues/activities went virtually unused for 2 weeks, forcing a lot of people into the spaces that were more, um age appropriate. A ship full of 70+ year olds probably isn't going to see much traffic in the Lazer Tag, VR galaxy, Water slides, Go Karts genre. 

But, back to the Beatle's, we didn't go to see the Beatlestory in the Cavern Club since the ship was already becoming a petri dish, and that Venue is so tiny, it is ridiculous. However, their show in the theater was very good. NCL really needs to address space usage, as it is terrible on the Joy.

42 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

You might be surprised and enjoy the Beatles show.  My husband is not a fan at all and I mean not a fan in any shape or form.    When we sailed on the Joy last February, he went grudgingly the first night in the main theatre because I wanted to go.     When we sailed again on the Joy seven months later, not only did he want to go to their first night show in the theatre, he wanted to go to their other shows in the Cavern Club as he enjoyed their show that much.    

Also, my son is 23 years old and him and his friends do like the Beatles and he is looking forward to seeing the show on the Epic next month so it is just not always the "older" crowd they draw in.   And his 24 sister and cousins (all in the same age group) will be joining him.

So, give it a try as you never know!

I always find it very humorous when Beatles haters get dragged to a Beatles cover band show, and then end up being Beatles fans!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, clojacks said:

But, back to the Beatle's, we didn't go to see the Beatlestory in the Cavern Club since the ship was already becoming a petri dish, and that Venue is so tiny, it is ridiculous. However, their show in the theater was very good. NCL really needs to address space usage, as it is terrible on the Joy.

Nah, NCL isn't going to and what can they do, short of a major dry dock and given their finances lately - simply cannot easily re-configure some of the venue to jam in more live souls.  As for the Prima & Viva, etc. - that's a different conversation themselves.   Space usage as is now, is equally bad on the Getaway, Breakaway, Escape and not "exclusive" to the Joy (on her twice in 2022) in many of the public area, IMHO.  

Speaking of petri dishes, we simply wasn't going to squeeze into those overcrowded clubs & lounges ... some of them probably exceeded occupancy limits with live performance going on, standing room only - elbows to elbows, impossible to social distance or not practical to mask up.  Glad that we didn't bother trying - more than a few came down with not just Covid but also noroviruses on our sailing last month.  

13 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Nah, NCL isn't going to and what can they do, short of a major dry dock and given their finances lately - simply cannot easily re-configure some of the venue to jam in more live souls.  As for the Prima & Viva, etc. - that's a different conversation themselves.   Space usage as is now, is equally bad on the Getaway, Breakaway, Escape and not "exclusive" to the Joy (on her twice in 2022) in many of the public area, IMHO.  

Speaking of petri dishes, we simply wasn't going to squeeze into those overcrowded clubs & lounges ... some of them probably exceeded occupancy limits with live performance going on, standing room only - elbows to elbows, impossible to social distance or not practical to mask up.  Glad that we didn't bother trying - more than a few came down with not just Covid but also noroviruses on our sailing last month.  

Not to take this in a different direction, but hadn't heard of the Noro issue. Our sailing started out really symptom free. You couldn't hear a single sneeze or cough the first week. However, the second week, the coughing, sneezing, and hacking was EVERYWHERE. We masked everywhere, but still have come down with upper respiratory junk within the 7 days of getting off of Joy. Is it that difficult for someone coughing every 2 minutes to remove themselves from a public area or take measures to reduce the spread of their cough?

Sorry....

20 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Not to take this in a different direction, but hadn't heard of the Noro issue. Our sailing started out really symptom free. You couldn't hear a single sneeze or cough the first week. However, the second week, the coughing, sneezing, and hacking was EVERYWHERE. We masked everywhere, but still have come down with upper respiratory junk within the 7 days of getting off of Joy. Is it that difficult for someone coughing every 2 minutes to remove themselves from a public area or take measures to reduce the spread of their cough?

Sorry....

Going off-topics here ... US CDC's online portal has detailed for all cruise ships - found under its VSP - NCL's fleet of ships generally score quite well, not perfect but better than others - not all the scores or inspections were recent.  It does give you a pretty good idea on how clean things were - 

Link to the green sheet - have fun if you want to use the advance search function - https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionGreenSheetRpt.aspx

A number of FB'er on the recent Jan 20 Getaway sailing posted on the group's page post-cruise & shared theirs ... at least several had both Covid & noro symptoms and were treated onboard.  As long as it's below 2%, not alarming but at 3% or higher, then ship has to put extra measures in place & report immediately to CDC, etc.  (I'm fuzzy on the detailed particulars, but ... we ran into that onboard the Escape in Jan 2019 on a 14 nighters to the Caribbean.  Usually, you don't hear or read much about noro on shorter cruises.  

Back to the Beatles, we're planning to go there on the Joy last September but when we saw the line & size of the crowd, DW said heck no ... and occupancy was around 70% to 75% only.