New/different COVID boarding requirements for boarding Explorer in Tokyo, March/April(?) 2023

Portolan

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:
1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Not sure what point you are trying to make 🤔

Are you affected by these Japanese requirements?

If you are booked on one of the cruises affected do you really wish to cancel just because of some extra administrative hassle and simple self testing?

If you trip over one of the ‘hurdles’ (test positive) then your Travel Insurance should cover your losses.

We just received further paperwork (customs declaration & disembarkation cards) for completion before we arrive in Japan on Explorer tomorrow. There will be a mandatory face-to-face customs & immigration inspection on arrival at our first port, Kagoshima.

We are looking forward to our time in Japan despite the extra administration and form filling required.
Yes it has been mildly frustrating but hopefully well worth it.

No Susan, we are not directly affected by THIS particular cruise, but we very well could be (along with other future cruisers) for our/their next/upcoming cruises....For us, it's Barcelona to Miami in November.  And then what?  I (and others) could very well want to cancel future cruises due to new and burdensome/unknown (in our judgements) additional requirements that may be imposed AFTER we've made final payments for those cruises...and AFTER we gave "final agreement" to the cruise contract/s by sending in our final payments.

Normally, contracts between two willing and informed parties are based upon both parties knowing and fully understanding and agreeing to ALL conditions that are/were in force at the time the contract is/was consummated/finalized. In these cases, the contracts would be agreed to by me (or others) making our final payments to Regent and by Regent acknowledging receipt of those final payments.  I would guess that business contracts in GB are the same as they are in the U.S.  But maybe not?

In this case however, and as it applies to this particular itinerary in Japan, "conditions" of the cruise were (fairly significantly) changed after final payment was made/received. For many of us (and the actual affected cruisers for this particular itinerary), we/they might not have necessarily agreed to having to undergo a final (and subsequently/hopefully "negative") covid test result within 36 hours of boarding (when making their final payments) before being allowed to board this cruise, and particularly after spending many Dollars/Pounds and time required for them to fly to Japan from either GB or the U.S., or anywhere else.

Insurance coverage/policies vary widely, and some of us even "self-insure", based upon conditions that were reasonably "known" by everyone at the time of booking and certainly by the time that final payment was due.. My point here is that the "insurable events" changed after final payments were made by the passengers to Regent.  Not either the passengers' or Regent's fault...but who has the "deeper pockets" here?  Best Regards.

For this very reason if you are concerned about these possible kinds of changes in this Post Covid world, you should not book cruises or get cancel for any reason insurance.

• Like 3

@pingpong1, I do not disagree that if a “significant change” is made by the cruise line then the guest should be able to cancel the cruise; whether that be before or after final payment.

When St. Petersburg was dropped from our August cruise last year, Regent agreed to give us a full refund, even though the reason for the change in itinerary was not within their control. That itinerary change was significant in the context of our booking.

All travel, including cruising, has always included the risk of alterations to arrangements and I do not see that the administrative and testing requirements being discussed in this thread can be considered as significant changes that warrant a guest cancelling without penalty.

2 hours ago, cwn said:

For this very reason if you are concerned about these possible kinds of changes in this Post Covid world, you should not book cruises or get cancel for any reason insurance.

Agreed

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tango223 said:

Intended Address in Japan
Postal code    1600023
Prefecture      TOKYO TO
City                Shinjuku Ku
Address            6-6-2 Nishi-Shinjuku
Hotel Name       Tokyo Hilton

Thank you so much!!!!!

I don't get why anyone thinks that Regent "randomly" placed a Covid test requirement ONLY for cruises from Japan.  What reason would explain this?  It's a Japanese requirement.  Regent clearly states that

"Subject to local requirements, all guests are welcome with no tests required, regardless of vaccination status."  

As to notification, they go on to state:

"Specific requirements, if applicable, will be sent to all guests approximately 30 days prior to sailing."

Additionally, if you look at there Japan cruise requirements for other cruise lines you'll find they also require a test. Here is a quote from Princess Cruises:

"Based on current requirements for cruising in Japan, guests aged 5 and older will require a negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding."

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

So I take a test 72 hours before boarding. 
I test negative.

Then I’m touring Tokyo and get infected after I’ve tested Negative.

Doesn’t make sense! 

It's a govt. mandate. It doesn't have to make sense. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cwn said:

Yes, you are quite right!  And that was one of the primary reasons why we cancelled an upcoming May Navigator sailing prior to final payment and "the jury is still out" for us with respect to an upcoming booked Splendor cruise this November, with a final payment date in July.  I guess we just don't have the same "fire in the belly" for cruising that many others do.  Best Regards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I don't get why anyone thinks that Regent "randomly" placed a Covid test requirement ONLY for cruises from Japan.  What reason would explain this?  It's a Japanese requirement.  Regent clearly states that

"Subject to local requirements, all guests are welcome with no tests required, regardless of vaccination status."  

As to notification, they go on to state:

"Specific requirements, if applicable, will be sent to all guests approximately 30 days prior to sailing."

Additionally, if you look at there Japan cruise requirements for other cruise lines you'll find they also require a test. Here is a quote from Princess Cruises:

"Based on current requirements for cruising in Japan, guests aged 5 and older will require a negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding."

5 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

It's a govt. mandate. It doesn't have to make sense. 

Please cite one Japanese government site (.jp.go) that mandates this.  Just one...a government site, not Princess Cruises.  The statement you quote from Regent is boilerplate and only means that (of course) they will follow any local government requirements...not that any decision about imposing test will only be because of a government requirement.

And, as I've said many times in this thread, I fully understand that Regent or any provider can set their own standards, so we will test ourselves 72 hours out which proves very little since people can/will make mistakes generating false positives and negatives.

I expect chaos on boarding with people trying to find their photographic evidence of the self-test.  Which may not have the required elements.  Or is out of focus.  Or has the wrong time stamp because they didn't switch their phone to Japanese time (if not on a cell network).  Etc, etc, etc.

I just finished filling out the Japanese government website form.  It is ridiculously confusing.  But now done, I think>

But I have a probably stupid question.  How does one time stamp a photo on an iphone??

• Like 1

While it is true that when you take a photo with your iPhone the time and date are stamped in the "metadata" of the photo, there are a couple of issues to think about.  Your phone's time and date needs to be correct for the location in which you performed the test.  Thinking out loud....basically it means anyone can adjust those items to suit their needs.....which just adds more fuel to the fire regarding the issues spoken about already.  Good luck

Personally I have found the lateral flow (antigen) tests more likely to give a. False negative than positive. We don't sail until the end of the year so I am sure it will all change again by then.

The wearing of masks in many Asian countries (especially Japan) if you are ill/have cold type symptoms is seen as polite - and shows you are respectful of others. (Even if you have been vaccinated).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrstanley said:

doesn’t do anything to curb Covid on a cruise ship

Well it would if anyone who tests positive wears a mask in enclosed spaces, indulges in excellent hand hygiene (well that should be a given from all of us) and maintains social distancing. Moving forward it would probably mean isolation not necessary if people followed above rather than wearing masks to protect themselves which is much less effective. 

7 hours ago, Portolan said:

Please cite one Japanese government site (.jp.go) that mandates this.  Just one...a government site, not Princess Cruises.  The statement you quote from Regent is boilerplate and only means that (of course) they will follow any local government requirements...not that any decision about imposing test will only be because of a government requirement.

And, as I've said many times in this thread, I fully understand that Regent or any provider can set their own standards, so we will test ourselves 72 hours out which proves very little since people can/will make mistakes generating false positives and negatives.

I expect chaos on boarding with people trying to find their photographic evidence of the self-test.  Which may not have the required elements.  Or is out of focus.  Or has the wrong time stamp because they didn't switch their phone to Japanese time (if not on a cell network).  Etc, etc, etc.

Yeah..you're probably right. The cruise lines must have gotten together and said "hey... now that we've lost billions, and are working on recovering, how about we all agree to simply piss off passengers traveling to Japan by randomly requiring a Covid test?  You know, no where else in the world, only Japan. That'll be fun...right?"

Tell you what... how about YOU tell ME why YOU think Regent, Princess, et. al. decided RANDOMLY to ONLY require a test in Japan?  Nowhere else in the world, ONLY Japan.  I'd be interested in why YOU think they would do that.  😏

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Yeah..you're probably right. The cruise lines must have gotten together and said "hey... now that we've lost billions, and are working on recovering, how about we all agree to simply piss off passengers traveling to Japan by randomly requiring a Covid test?  You know, no where else in the world, only Japan. That'll be fun...right?"

Tell you what... how about YOU tell ME why YOU think Regent, Princess, et. al. decided RANDOMLY to ONLY require a test in Japan?  Nowhere else in the world, ONLY Japan.  I'd be interested in why YOU think they would do that.  😏

Not mine to explain.  Only to point out that you can't find this posted as a requirement of Japan on a government site.  That plus the fact that no country has ever had a testing policy which involved self-testing.  Ever.

• Like 2

Australia still requires cruise passengers to have a negative test to board. We did this recently. Took a photo with my iPhone of my husband’s iPhone which showed date and time and next to the phone placed  2 negative tests and both our passports. Showed this as we checked in.

Also needed to do another test on board 3 days later. 

Explorer arrived today at its first port of call in Japan, Kagoshima.

We successfully negotiated the temperature checks, immigration, customs & security.

All reasonably fast & efficient as the Japanese authorities had deployed a large contingent of immigration staff to deal with our arrival.

Unfortunately today in in Kagoshima is rainy & cool so not very conducive to sightseeing  ⛈️ 

The welcoming party was not extensive …………. three senior citizens waving flags; one wearing a flowery wig 😉

• Like 1

I have a friend who took a Tauck River cruise in Portugal last June.

Had to show a negative test to board. Her test was negative but the first night onboard she showed symptoms. Tested herself and was positive. Didn’t report it as she was not about to be quarantined.

So showing a negative test within 72 hours doesn’t mean much. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Portolan said:

Not mine to explain.  Only to point out that you can't find this posted as a requirement of Japan on a government site.  That plus the fact that no country has ever had a testing policy which involved self-testing.  Ever.

Actually, it is yours to explain, since my original comment actually ASKED other than govt, mandate,  "What reason would explain this?"   Regent also clearly states on their website ""Subject to local requirements, all guests are welcome with no tests required, regardless of vaccination status."   So both Regent AND Princess either state or indicate that they're only requiring tests due to govt. regulations.  

When you responded I simply, again, asked what rationale these cruise lines would use to put a testing requirement on ONLY Japan cruises and not any other countries of origin?  Like I said, I don't get it.  Why else would Regent require this?

Simply asking your opinion since you seem convinced this is a requirement that was randomly placed by multiple cruise companies.  

It's my assumption that Covid testing is a mutually agreed to measure as cruising resumes in Japan.   As restrictions were eased on cruises out of the US, this same self test on the honor system was accepted by many cruise lines until testing was dropped altogether.    

While testing is an inconvenience and methods may be flawed, I understand that travel looks different  now.  Personally, I pack my patience and keep on moving.

8 minutes ago, SuziCruises said:

It's my assumption that Covid testing is a mutually agreed to measure as cruising resumes in Japan.   As restrictions were eased on cruises out of the US, this same self test on the honor system was accepted by many cruise lines until testing was dropped altogether.    

While testing is an inconvenience and methods may be flawed, I understand that travel looks different  now.  Personally, I pack my patience and keep on moving.

Hi Suzi - I don't mean to keep "flogging this horse" but....Here I go again.  Won't it certainly be greatly more than just a simple case of "inconvenience" if any passenger happens to test "Positive" (rather than the expected "negative") and is denied overseas boarding?  Especially after having flown to Japan, spending a few days there pre-cruise, and then quite unexpectedly, "popping positive" at the last-minute on a Covid test right before boarding the ship?  And especially after everyone initially thought there would be no testing requirment, and after they all had "thought" they were being extra super-duper careful and "doing all the right things"...by washing hands, avoiding crowds, faithfully wearing a mask everywhere, etc., etc. upon leaving home...And then even after all of that... STILL testing "positive" right before boarding the ship?

And then having to quickly arrange/pay for their own quarantining overseas and arranging for their own transportation back home, after a week or so spent in a Japanese quarantine setting?  That is certainly far more than just a simple "testing inconvenience".

The "defenders" of this late-imposed condition seem to all simply assume that they'll take this test....get a "negative" result, and happily board the ship on embarkation day.  But how many people might (surprisingly to them) get a "positive" test result instead? Whether or not anyone happens to have an extremely comprehensive travel insurance, the policies may or may not cover a situation like this?  Will the insurance company consider it to have been a "foreseen" (and therefore, uninsurable) event?

"Portolan's" and my main point is that this new, late, and significant additional condition for sailing "sprung up" long after final payments were made.  Was I affected? "No".  But all of us could very well be affected on a future booked cruise!  Regardless of whether it was the Japanese government (which cannot yet be documented) or the  cruise company's mandate (Regent), it was added at the last moment and none of the booked passengers had a fair or reasonable opportunity to know about it, assess the risk in advance, or make their own reasonable best judgements (about the additional risk of being denied boarding) before having to make their final payments.   They had no time to even look for an insurance policy that would take into account this significant new, last minute, and previously unknown added "risk".

I just can't understand why this is so difficult for some to understand our point of view, or to at least acknowledge the possible validity of it?  Yes, the whole cruising experience comes with some unforeseen circumstances (mechanical breakdown, missing ports due to bad weather, etc.) which are basically uninsurable, and which all of us reasonably take into account.  But this is different than that.  This is a "significantly changed condition" (a new last minute testing requirement in a foreign country just prior to boarding) and that was imposed long after final payment was made.  In past  recent years, we all Knew about dock-side testing and "negative" result requirements PRIOR to final payments.  In this case, would-be passengers have had no opportunity to asses this "new boarding condition" before having had to make final payments.  And if Regent were to even "acknowledge this" as a "significant change", it could possibly make them somewhat liable to offer some form of compensation to those "last minute" passengers who were denied boarding because of a last minute "positive" test result.  The Regent lawyers would avoid this at all cost - literally!   I'll try to make this my last post on the subject (most likely to everyone's overwhelming joy).  Regards to All.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1