3 ? 4 ? OR 5 ? COURSES

Acrusa

Last evening at THE GDR  on the Riviera the couple next to us ordered all 5 courses. My wife and I usually order 3 . Does the wait staff get annoyed?  How many courses do people usually order

Edited by Acrusa

Just now, Acrusa said:

Last evening at THE GDR  on the Riviera the couple next to us ordered all 5 courses. My wife and I usually order 3 . Does the wait staff get annoyed?

Of course not. There job is to serve the guests and most O crew consider themselves very lucky to get a spot on an O ship.

• Like 6

Some people’s primary purpose of cruising is eating. We do it for the ports, they do it to eat. Doesn’t bother me except when some are really wasteful. Order 4-5 courses and take a couple bites out of each course with the rest going to the garbage. Especially those ordering the giant steaks and always only taking a few bites.

• Like 4

If they can eat 5 courses   why  not

I sometimes  will have  Appy /Salad/ main/dessert  & coffee

We have the shoe police/dress code police / facial hair police & now the food police 😲

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Acrusa said:

Last evening at THE GDR  on the Riviera the couple next to us ordered all 5 courses. My wife and I usually order 3 . Does the wait staff get annoyed?  How many courses do people usually order

Here you go, in case you want a multi-course meal:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/blog/2578/full-course-meal.html

Suggestions up to 12 courses.

But seriously, it's not uncommon for formal dinners to have, for example, a fish course and a separate meat course, etc.  White wine for the former; red wine for the latter, usually.  And perhaps a dessert wine at the end?   There can be a different wine for each course, or not... as preferred.

And Oceania does offer the more formal dinners, in La Reserve, which is like what I've just described, although I don't remember just how many courses (probably not quite 12).

Unlike the regular Specialty restaurants on Oceania, which have no extra charge, the La Reserve tasting dinners do have an additional charge, which varies with the specific offerings of the meal, and only have one seating per evening.

You don't need to eat more courses than you want, of *course*, but similarly, others should be able to dine the way *they* prefer.

GC

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We like a table for 2 as we don't want to sit on a shared table with the others ordering 5 courses when we are only ordering 2.  I usually order 2 appetizers - the second to have when my DH has his main.  Then if there is room after that, including the bread, we might share a dessert.  On rare occasions I will just order a main. I find the older we get the less I can eat with out it showing on the scales.

• Like 3

We have always liked to share a table when we could (sometimes we couldn't just because the staff didn't want to open a table for two and have no one else show up).  Normally we order an appetizer, main course, maybe salad (it depends on the offerings) and desert.  On occasion DH has ordered two main courses  -- although that was when we were younger and he no longer does so! -- not that he ate all of them even back then. It is also possible to ask for half portions if you want to try two mains.

I agree that I wouldn't want to share with people who order many courses more than we have ... but I cannot remember that ever having happened. And if someone at your table is ordering a lot more than you are you can always leave early ... although I freely admit that can be difficult (if not impossible) if the others are being served their other courses while you wait for yours.

Frankly, while I can see that this could happen, in more than 20 year of cruising on O it's never been our experience that it did happen.

Actually, this is just the same issue discussed before told from a different angle. Our group of ten went to the Club last week for a four course Valentines Day dinner. We ate, drank, talked, and laughed for over 2.5 hours while being served the courses. Time flew bye.

Do you realize the number of cruisers on Oceania that would find that a dreadful evening? We sat and had dinner over 2.5 hours!!! 😱😱!! Why do people have to talk during a meal?? Couldn’t they just eat and leave within 45 minutes?? We’ve watched people on two tops rarely, if ever, mutter a word during an entire meal. 

The issue here, for some, isn’t the number of courses, it’s all about the time spent during a meal.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

We have always enjoyed the shared tables on cruises and at some resorts, and I agree with Pinotlover that great conversation can make a 2.5 hour dinner fly by.  You never know who you are going to meet and what you are going to talk about.  We have shared tables with people from all over the world, and had some brilliant dinners.  And if the dinner companions aren't so great, you can always eat up and move along.

• Like 3

On 2/20/2023 at 9:26 AM, pinotlover said:

Actually, this is just the same issue discussed before told from a different angle. Our group of ten went to the Club last week for a four course Valentines Day dinner. We ate, drank, talked, and laughed for over 2.5 hours while being served the courses. Time flew bye.

Do you realize the number of cruisers on Oceania that would find that a dreadful evening? We sat and had dinner over 2.5 hours!!! 😱😱!! Why do people have to talk during a meal?? Couldn’t they just eat and leave within 45 minutes?? We’ve watched people on two tops rarely, if ever, mutter a word during an entire meal. 

The issue here, for some, isn’t the number of courses, it’s all about the time spent during a meal.

Someone told me that there is a difference between eating and dining. Dining is when you eat, drink, talk and laugh.

• Like 13

On 2/20/2023 at 8:26 AM, pinotlover said:

Excellent words.

Hope to dine with you, or someone like you, on future cruises. 

I find it sad to see couples in restaurants sit down to eat....... with their phones....and never speak to each other, or anyone else.  Wonder what they are they seeing? 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 2:37 PM, ican82 said:

We have always enjoyed the shared tables on cruises and at some resorts, and I agree with Pinotlover that great conversation can make a 2.5 hour dinner fly by.  You never know who you are going to meet and what you are going to talk about.  We have shared tables with people from all over the world, and had some brilliant dinners.  And if the dinner companions aren't so great, you can always eat up and move along.

My wife, her sister, and I have taken several cruises, and even with just the 3 of us we can end up with dinner lasting 2+ hours, and we love it! We talk, laugh, and take things at a relaxed pace. 🙂

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, DENIE said:

My wife, her sister, and I have taken several cruises, and even with just the 3 of us we can end up with dinner lasting 2+ hours, and we love it! We talk, laugh, and take things at a relaxed pace. 🙂

We can do the same with just the two of us. 🙂 

We are definitely not to be confused with a couple sitting at a two top while each studying their own cell phone...!

GC

• Like 2

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

I was just reading the thread on new Vista restaurants and noted the following description for the MDR:  "guests will savor a leisurely dining experience" -- note, it does not say "guests will bolt their food and run." 🤔

But some people like to  snorkel  their food  & get out as fast as they can

I am not one of them 😉

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

But some people like to  snorkel  their food  & get out as fast as they can

When we opt to eat at the buffet, we typically go around 7:00-7:15. We often meet people ( even at 7:00) that have snorkeled and are leaving as we enter. The perfect venue for those that like to “eat and get it over with “. Some rave about the venue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going back to the OP's original question, we normally have 2-3 courses; starter, entrée, and (sometimes) dessert.  On the rare occasions that we decide to exceed that, we try to order smaller items, such as a side salad, a half-order of lasagna, a 6 oz. filet (rather than a 32 oz. prime rib), and a split dessert.  Sometimes, we'll even throw in a shared cheese plate.  The basic rule of thumb is, "the more courses, the smaller the portions."  Vis-à-vis the staff being annoyed, I've never given it a thought.  If someone who works in a restaurant is annoyed because people are ordering food, perhaps they need to find a new place to work.  

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 3:15 PM, Acrusa said:

I’m confused…did you pay for their cruise with the idea of limiting how they enjoy it?  From reading this, you were not dining WITH them and therefore having to wait for them to finish.  Your concern seems to be for the wait staff…who are there to wait on the folks who are there to dine.  One of the delights of cruising is that everyone gets to enjoy their cruise as they like.  Some want to try all of the food, some want to read books on their balcony, some want to be social, some want to soak up some rays.  Isn’t it each person’s business how they enjoy their time?  I can’t wait for our cruise this summer and being able to enjoy NOT grocery shopping and NOT preparing meals for two full weeks. I’m going to eat whatever I like and hope I am dining next to people who are concerned with their own enjoyment and not critical of mine.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 3:15 PM, Acrusa said:

Please don't be the food police. Mind your own business. Seriously, so rude to do this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’ll add to this thread that the ships have significantly reduced serving sizes, except where specifically stated, and this is a welcome change imo. This makes half portions even more reasonable. 

We don’t mind if people order 5 portions as long as they aren’t just wasting massive amounts. This Oceania change has helped in these regards.

Personally, I couldn't care less how many courses the table next to us order, and even whether or not they waste their meals.  In my mind, the food is there, it's prepared, so try as much as you like.

My peeve however is when the wait staff shackle me to the adjacent table's course selection and pacing, meaning not bringing my meal out rather letting the adjacent table set the pace of play.  They want 5 courses - fine but bring my main with their soup/salad or whatever.  Don't make me wait for them to finish two courses just to save yourself a trip to the kitchen.  Yes, it happens, not often, but it does.

Similarly, no one should be rushed to order.  Likewise, a table that has screened the menu in advance and is ready to go shouldn't be slowed while an adjacent table ponders the myriad choices.  Take all the time you need, but again, don't tie me to their process.  

• Like 3