Price Comparison For The Same Category 2018 versus 2024

Keith1010

I normally don't look at the pricing year over year.  

Our go-to suite on Serenity is usually a PH and on Symphony a PS (well now a Seabreeze equivalent).  

I do believe those who say the prices have gone up a lot because I know if they didn't they would not say it.

I have also heard from some who say the prices don't seem so high in comparison.

So I started to wonder if some of this depends on accommodation and other factors. My guess is it does but that is just me speculating.

Anyway I only looked at one of our bookings and for the PH category.

I didn't look at recent comparisons is in 2021 we didn't book the PH on Serenity for all the cruises and went with a larger suite.  So I would have to go back to 2020 but that was for part of the World Cruise and 2019 was more complicated as we had cruises before and after the world cruise.

I looked at the pricing for a PH (now called Aquamarine) for the 2024 holiday cruise and the one which is an 20 day R/T cruise which is comprised of two cruises.  Pricing for an Aquamarine in the area that we normally book is $12,500. per person before say Crystal Society and Back to Back Savings. Now I don't know the destination fees so I will errored on the high side and assumed $1,500.00. I took the 10% off the net of the cruise fare less $1,500.00 I get savings of $2,350.00 so the bottom line amount for two people is $22,650.00 or $1,132.50 per diem for 2.

In 2018 which would be six years prior to December 2024 we took the December Holiday cruise which was a 16 day cruise and the cost for the same accommodation was $20,261.00 or $1,266.00 per diem for 2. And I remember the pricing for that Holiday cruise was a good deal as it soon went up after we booked it and was  less than the Holiday Cruise we took a few years earlier.

Anyway, I know this is going to vary by voyage and time of year and by category and whether you are single or not but I thought this was as close as I could get to an apples to apples comparison.  It was interesting that the per diem pricing is less for the 2024 Holiday Cruise than the 2018 Holiday cruise for what is now called an Aquamarine suite.

The Holiday Cruise was out of Los Angeles but knowing how much Hotel Rooms are in Miami at our I'd say the room has gone up 40-45% before tax.

Actually the room per diem is higher than the cruise per diem.  This is why I think of cruises being the much better value.

Keith

• Keith1010 changed the title to Price Comparison For The Same Category 2018 versus 2024

Thanks for this comparison Keith. Holiday cruises are always the most expensive. Could you please kindly compare the per Diem at the WC 2022 with the per Diem at the WC 2024? Since we still think that the new Company might be adequate for us for a WC, this will be helpful for us.
Ivi

2022 WC per diem for a C2 category (solo)  $494

2024 WC per diem for a C1 or C2 category  (again solo) $766

2024 WC per diem for a C3 category (the newly designated solo rooms)  $510

cannot compare amenities as those have not been announced for 2024.

2022 listed top ten reasons to book with Crystal.  Number 1:

" The most trusted, all-inclusive luxury cruise brand."      Ouch! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for this comparison Keith. Holiday cruises are always the most expensive. Could you please kindly compare the per Diem at the WC 2022 with the per Diem at the WC 2024? Since we still think that the new Company might be adequate for us for a WC, this will be helpful for us.
Ivi

Ivi,

I do have the original 2022 WC pricing before it became a grand voyage. Once the 2024 is shown on the Web Site I could do that because I don't know the pricing.

The irony about the Holiday Cruises is we did get an exceptional deal for 2018 before it went up and I looked at 2013 which was much higher per diem than 2024.  So we just never know.  Again for a single it could be much different and for some categories it could be much different in terms of higher cost.

My guess is one price doesn't fit all. In other words this can vary by voyage, perceived demand, ports visited, time of year, category, solo versus double occupancy when looking at 2023 or 2024 versus prior years. I suspect this will be the case.

Keith

6 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

2022 WC per diem for a C2 category (solo)  $494

2024 WC per diem for a C1 or C2 category  (again solo) $766

2024 WC per diem for a C3 category (the newly designated solo rooms)  $510

cannot compare amenities as those have not been announced for 2024.

2022 listed top ten reasons to book with Crystal.  Number 1:

" The most trusted, all-inclusive luxury cruise brand."      Ouch! 

Thank you! definitely a price increase …

”The most trusted, all-inclusive luxury cruise brand” listed for 2022, you are right OUCH 🤕 

Ivi

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Ivi,

I do have the original 2022 WC pricing before it became a grand voyage. Once the 2024 is shown on the Web Site I could do that because I don't know the pricing.

….

Keith

That would be great if you can compare the original WC 2022 cruise with the WC 2024 once you have this price Keith. Thanks.

Ivi

This also isn't happening in a vacuum...  Now that I'm finally starting to frequently do the same kind of travel I was doing pre-pandemic and can compare the same types of fares/routes and hotels/rates  directly, I've been consistently paying 45-70% more for hotels and 60-80% more for similar air than I did before February of 2020.  I also just paid $6.50 for a bottle of a mayo-based condiment, so...  Travel's not the only thing that's gone up lately.

Vince

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

This also isn't happening in a vacuum...  Now that I'm finally starting to frequently do the same kind of travel I was doing pre-pandemic and can compare the same types of fares/routes and hotels/rates  directly, I've been consistently paying 45-70% more for hotels and 60-80% more for similar air than I did before February of 2020.  I also just paid $6.50 for a bottle of a mayo-based condiment, so...  Travel's not the only thing that's gone up lately.

Vince

Yes. But at the moment we are not searching for the causes of the price increases. We are just trying to find out whether there are price increases and the magnitude of those increases.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Yes. But at the moment we are not searching for the causes of the price increases. We are just trying to find out whether there are price increases and the magnitude of those increases.

Ivi

My bad, I didn't realize we were stopping there.  🙂 

Vince

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, travelberlin said:

It was not my intention to cut you short Vince 😔 please excuse me.

Ivi

Don't apologize!  I just thought the overall pricing in the travel industry (whether inflation, demand, or whatever combination of factors) was important context...  I wasn't trying to pull us into an analysis of that (yet), before everyone was ready to go there. 🙂 

Vince

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Ivi

We were also booked on the Serenity 2022 WC. We have now booked the 2024 Serenity WC in the same stateroom, a PH mid-ship on deck 10. The per diem in 2022 was $765. The per diem for 2024 is $701. But the cruise is more expensive because it is 141 days instead of 115 days. Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Rollerman said:

We were also booked on the Serenity 2022 WC. We have now booked the 2024 Serenity WC in the same stateroom, a PH mid-ship on deck 10. The per diem in 2022 was $765. The per diem for 2024 is $701. But the cruise is more expensive because it is 141 days instead of 115 days. Hope this helps.

Yes. This is very good information. In this case the per diem is lower now. This is per diem for two or per person? Thanks.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

This could turn into a -very- interesting thread.

We were booked Symphony Athens to Abu Dhabi in Oct/Nov 2019 in a Seabreeze penthouse (not SB suite).  Our booking confirmation shows $9349pp plus $944 port fees.  That price reflected a $2700 Book Now promotion, so starting price of $12049.  (Starting price was $3999, OV).

We are looking at the same cruise itinerary in December 2024.  The starting price is $11300 (presume ocean view double).  The starting price for the aquamarine verandah suites, redesigned 2017, is $17800pp

Christmas cruises demand a premium, but not usually >5k!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, crickette said:

This could turn into a -very- interesting thread.

We were booked Symphony Athens to Abu Dhabi in Oct/Nov 2019 in a Seabreeze penthouse (not SB suite).  Our booking confirmation shows $9349pp plus $944 port fees.  That price reflected a $2700 Book Now promotion, so starting price of $12049.  (Starting price was $3999, OV).

I'm pleased you picked that one as a comparison because I looked at the 2023 Athens to Dubai itinerary and was shocked when I saw the fare as I have done that trip previously (albeit in reverse)

Designated Solo Occupancy Cabin             $9,100

Deck 7 Lowest Fare Double + 50%SS)     $12,150

My Previous trip (Dubai to Athens)               $6,250 (including port fees & taxes)

I think my days of enjoying Crystal Cruises is now past!!!  A 50% increase for one of those dreadful location forward cabins, or at least 80% increase if I select the same cabin I occupied on the same itinerary previously!!!... Not to mention that my previous fare also came with a $500 As You Wish Credit which almost paid for my overnight excursion to Luxor!!!!  

Anne...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Anne mentioned her previous fare with Old crystal came with an as You Wish credit.  Has anyone received any notice of amenities included with their NEW bookings??  Are there any amenities??  And finally...will they be announced before fare penalties kick in?  If not, Crystal should expect a ton of cancellations around the penalty dates. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

I'm pleased you picked that one as a comparison because I looked at the 2023 Athens to Dubai itinerary and was shocked when I saw the fare as I have done that trip previously (albeit in reverse)

Designated Solo Occupancy Cabin             $9,100

Deck 7 Lowest Fare Double + 50%SS)     $12,150

My Previous trip (Dubai to Athens)               $6,250 (including port fees & taxes)

I think my days of enjoying Crystal Cruises is now past!!!  A 50% increase for one of those dreadful location forward cabins, or at least 80% increase if I select the same cabin I occupied on the same itinerary previously!!!... Not to mention that my previous fare also came with a $500 As You Wish Credit which almost paid for my overnight excursion to Luxor!!!!  

Anne...

Could you please tell us how many days to see the per diem per person? That makes easier to compare with similar offers from other cruise lines. 
Ivi

33 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Could you please tell us how many days to see the per diem per person? That makes easier to compare with similar offers from other cruise lines. 
Ivi

it’s a 17 night itinerary… although as a solo traveller it’s the total cost that matters to me….those fares are all for one person…

Anne…

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Old Sea Dog said:

Hello Anne

We are booked for this in October. If they will still allow guests do you want to come aboard?

Roy & Sue

If, being the operative word!!!  Yes, I’d love to see you both again - it must be nearly another anniversary time by now!!!!  You have my email, stay in touch and hopefully we’ll catch up again in October…

Anne..

Here's another one.

Cruise before World Cruise 2024 and Cruise before World Cruise 2019.

Double Occupancy

Aquamarine (former PH)

2024 is a longer cruise than 2019

Per diem in 2024 is $1,188.00 and per diem in 2019 was $1,547.00

I realize not 100% apples to apples but that is going to be tough to find.

And as I have said a few times this is double occupancy and in many cases or even most solo guest are going to have a higher rate to begin with.

Keith

• Like 1

Sorry Keith,

I don't think that it is useful to compare old and new. Rather, it is more relevant to compare the competition and itinerary.

Crystal 8N Alaska on a rather conventional itinerary C$6,300 solo...

https://www.crystalcruises.com/cruises/none-cse-008-240813

Ponant small ship, unconventional itinerary. 10N US$7,100 (no single supplement) for OV. Veranda comes at just a little more US$7,590. Comes with a flight between Sitka and Seattle.

https://us.ponant.com/alaska-majestic-alaska-so280724-12

Gotta go with Ponant unless New Crystal has a compelling onboard experience and generous cancellation policy.

Then, there's the suites on a choice of vessels from 50k GT to 120k GT on the mainstream companies.

• Like 2