Price Comparison For The Same Category 2018 versus 2024

Keith1010

On 3/3/2023 at 8:30 PM, Stickman1990 said:

Silver Whisper is only 392 pax capacity - I suspect you won’t find the same selection of facilities on many ships with that capacity as you would on a 600 pax capacity luxury ship (maybe one or two luxury expedition ships excluded) 

I don’t think you’re comparing apples with apples 🍎 🍏 

I would take SB over SS not only for the reasons stated but we had issues with lots of the crew not being 6 star like Regent, SB and of course OC.

On 3/4/2023 at 9:20 AM, ak1004 said:

We are very sensitive to smoke and cigarettes, never had an issue on the Silver Spirit. Also did significant number of rounds on their jogging track. I really don't understand those comments about Crystal jogging track. Yes, it's longer, so what? If you want to walk a certain distance, you just do more rounds on SS.. In fact, SS jogging track has much better views because it's higher, so this is a definite plus to me.

Deck 7 on Crystal for walking is covered. On all the other ships mentioned it is up top in the sun, wind, etc.

19 minutes ago, AtA said:

I would take SB over SS not only for the reasons stated but we had issues with lots of the crew not being 6 star like Regent, SB and of course OC.

Certainly not my experience on recent Regent and Silversea cruises

The crew on Silversea’s Muse could not have been better - great service standard and a professional but friendly approach

Regents crew were good but I’d have to say Silverseas we’re better in our experience 

OC is irrelevant - the only thing that matters will be what New Crystal delivers - that’s a case of time will tell and some honest feedback from early guests 

My Seabourn experience is really too old now (back in late 2018) to be relevant but we’ll never forget being told to go to another bar for Bacardi for our drinks as they didn’t have it in the one we were in, or the wait staff who served dairy to someone allergic to dairy after being asked if an item was dairy free or the server who said Gluten and Dairy Free are the same aren’t they as she swapped over the Dairy Free and Gluten Free labels describing the dishes. Way more examples but that’s how bad it can be….

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AtA said:

Deck 7 on Crystal for walking is covered. On all the other ships mentioned it is up top in the sun, wind, etc.

Correction - It’s definitely not covered - there’s plenty of areas on the promenade that are totally exposed to sun and wind (try walking in a head wind on Deck 7 sometime) and in rough weather they close off access 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Found it!! Didn't notice the door the one time we were in that lounge. It was far too windy, and too much saltspray in the air to actually go up there though!

Glad you found it - good isn’t it? 
I guess any open area on a ship is susceptible to the weather - hopefully you get a chance to experience it in better weather. The bar staff will gladly give you a plastic glass to take your drink up stairs 

We only found it when people kept going through the door with their drinks in hand - eventually curiosity got the better of us and we discovered the “secret”

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I guess any open area on a ship is susceptible to the weather - hopefully you get a chance to experience it in better weather. The bar staff will gladly give you a plastic glass to take your drink up stairs 

We only found it when people kept going through the door with their drinks in hand - eventually curiosity got the better of us and we discovered the “secret”

We are sailing northwest in the open ocean southeast of Barbados. The wind is from the northeast at about 30 knots and it swirls around the ship. We are on the port side forward, and despite the best efforts of our service team, our balcony is coated in salt residue, making it unusable. Since the coming last ten days are all Leeward Islands, and we have 8 consecutive port days, I suspect things will be better.

The idiocy of Silversea's dress code continues to rankle. For the 200+ guests getting off tomorrow, this evening was Informal, and the ones we have talked to were not happy about it. For the entire 550 guests on the ship, less the six couples staying on in Ft Lauderdale, it will again be Informal. Other than Cunard, which is a case all its own, no other line does something so ridiculous! Just reinforces this will be "one and done."

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

We are sailing northwest in the open ocean southeast of Barbados. The wind is from the northeast at about 30 knots and it swirls around the ship. We are on the port side forward, and despite the best efforts of our service team, our balcony is coated in salt residue, making it unusable. Since the coming last ten days are all Leeward Islands, and we have 8 consecutive port days, I suspect things will be better.

The idiocy of Silversea's dress code continues to rankle. For the 200+ guests getting off tomorrow, this evening was Informal, and the ones we have talked to were not happy about it. For the entire 550 guests on the ship, less the six couples staying on in Ft Lauderdale, it will again be Informal. Other than Cunard, which is a case all its own, no other line does something so ridiculous! Just reinforces this will be "one and done."

Completely understand. Apparently the ss loyalists don’t mind it. Honestly it did not bother us at all. You have other good choices 

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

As our second we tried an expedition ship which was less formal. But I think it is likely 2 and done for us though their itineraries continue to entice.

21 minutes ago, Emdee said:

As our second we tried an expedition ship which was less formal. But I think it is likely 2 and done for us though their itineraries continue to entice.

Ahhh for the old days of Barefoot Cruises. 35 pax on ancient sailing vessels. The entire time spent in swim suits, shorts and flip flops. With travels to the most obscure, tiny, Caribbean islands as far south as you can get in the Caribe. And absolutely the most beautiful white sand beaches and turquoise waters I’ve ever seen. Little villages on 1/2-sqare-mile islands with no tourists; but full of tropical fruits and fresh caught seafood. All inclusive, but closet-sized rooms with port holes. No formal nights there! Maybe not luxe but pretty dang relaxing if you were a stressed-out corporate person with a precious week off. Barefoot Cruises went under because the ships ultimately couldn’t pass safety inspections. 

Edited by Cruise-y

8 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

Ahhh for the old days of Barefoot Cruises. 35 pax on ancient sailing vessels. The entire time spent in swim suits, shorts and flip flops. With travels to the most obscure, tiny, Caribbean islands as far south as you can get in the Caribe. And absolutely the most beautiful white sand beaches and turquoise waters I’ve ever seen. Little villages on 1/2-sqare-mile islands with no tourists; but full of tropical fruits and fresh caught seafood. All inclusive, but closet-sized rooms with port holes. No formal nights there! Maybe not luxe but pretty dang relaxing if you were a stressed-out corporate person with a precious week off. Barefoot Cruises went under because the ships ultimately couldn’t pass safety inspections. 

I imagine the feeling. There are still some boats like that sailing in Turkey or Greece.

But for us not that young anymore, there are other small ship experiences which are nice. For example the Star Clippers. We have sailed a couple of years ago on the Royal Clipper at the time of a sailing regatta in the Mediterranean (Le Voiles de Saint Tropes). It was marvelous.

Ivi

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bitob said:

Completely understand. Apparently the ss loyalists don’t mind it. Honestly it did not bother us at all. You have other good choices 

Even many not loyalists don't mind.. we definitely not crazy abut SS dress code, but it's not a deal breaker for us. And there are always ways around it - at least 3 venues have more relaxed dress code.

As for reservations - isn't it the same on most ships where some venues require reservations while others don't?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Even many not loyalists don't mind.. we definitely not crazy abut SS dress code, but it's not a deal breaker for us. And there are always ways around it - at least 3 venues have more relaxed dress code.

As for reservations - isn't it the same on most ships where some venues require reservations while others don't?

We found the workarounds lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I suppose it was a bit like Narnia 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Only two, Spacanapoli and The Grill/Hot Rocks, the latter of which requires a reservation. Last segment we had many consecutive nights of Formal/Informal, so unless you consider a sandwich from Arts Cafe dinner, or room service, not many options to "work around" the dress code. You can only eat so much pizza! 

16 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Only two, Spacanapoli and The Grill/Hot Rocks, the latter of which requires a reservation. Last segment we had many consecutive nights of Formal/Informal, so unless you consider a sandwich from Arts Cafe dinner, or room service, not many options to "work around" the dress code. You can only eat so much pizza! 

Agree lol.. however, we never had a problem to be seated in Hot Rocks even without a reservation.

Also, informal would be accepted at La Terrazza on formal nights; and casual (no jacket for gents) would be accepted on informal nights. Same for Seishin or Kaiseki I believe. 

Also, the dress code is only enforced in restaurants, not other public areas like the theater or lounges. At least this was the case on the Spirit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Agree lol.. however, we never had a problem to be seated in Hot Rocks even without a reservation.

Also, informal would be accepted at La Terrazza on formal nights; and casual (no jacket for gents) would be accepted on informal nights. Same for Seishin or Kaiseki I believe. 

Also, the dress code is only enforced in restaurants, not other public areas like the theater or lounges. At least this was the case on the Spirit.

Here on Moon the code is enforced with some belligerence and a jacket is required in every applicable restaurant on Informal nights, and Hot Rocks is generally busy every night.

Rather academic at this point as we will not be back unless they change it. Don't mind beginning/end Formal nights, but we are past the point where we want to play dress up every night. And there is no defence for Informal on the last night of the cruise!

Anyway, we have taken this thread off topic and into a different galaxy!!!😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Here on Moon the code is enforced with some belligerence and a jacket is required in every applicable restaurant on Informal nights, and Hot Rocks is generally busy every night.

Rather academic at this point as we will not be back unless they change it. Don't mind beginning/end Formal nights, but we are past the point where we want to play dress up every night. And there is no defence for Informal on the last night of the cruise!

Anyway, we have taken this thread off topic and into a different galaxy!!!😁

This thread went to a different galaxy long before you joined it.. like 4 page ago.. 😀 I kind of agree with Keith btw..

• Like 1

Trying to get the thread back on its original subject I will provide another comparison.

World Cruise Segment 2024 from Miami to San Diego 16 nights.  Saphire (Former PS)

Total Double Occupansy  29,740.00 or $1,860 per diem.

Grand Voyage 2022 Miami to Los Angeles 14 nights (Former PS)

Total Double Occupancy $29,936.00 or $2,138.00 per diem

I haven't yet seen the pricing for the full World Cruise. When I do I'll compare one of the categories for that one with the original 2022 World Cruise before it became a Grand Voyage.

What I have learned so far is the price comparisons do vary based on type of accommodation booked, and whether or not it is for two people or one person. This is why some people say current pricing is similar to previous pricing, somewhat greater, somewhat less whereas in other cases they say a lot higher.  Is anyone wrong?  No.  

It's example of the devil is in the details.

Keith

P.S.

In the old days for all cruise lines if you kept the brochures you would have the pricing.  That all changed when pricing was shown on-line versus in hard copy print.  

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Trying to get the thread back on its original subject I will provide another comparison.

World Cruise Segment 2024 from Miami to San Diego 16 nights.  Saphire (Former PS)

Total Double Occupansy  29,740.00 or $1,860 per diem.

Grand Voyage 2022 Miami to Los Angeles 14 nights (Former PS)

Total Double Occupancy $29,936.00 or $2,138.00 per diem

I haven't yet seen the pricing for the full World Cruise. When I do I'll compare one of the categories for that one with the original 2022 World Cruise before it became a Grand Voyage.

What I have learned so far is the price comparisons do vary based on type of accommodation booked, and whether or not it is for two people or one person. This is why some people say current pricing is similar to previous pricing, somewhat greater, somewhat less whereas in other cases they say a lot higher.  Is anyone wrong?  No.  

It's example of the devil is in the details.

Keith

P.S.

In the old days for all cruise lines if you kept the brochures you would have the pricing.  That all changed when pricing was shown on-line versus in hard copy print.  

The exact number of nights is important for a segment but as you say prices do vary on accommodation booked.

We are where we are today.