Price Comparison For The Same Category 2018 versus 2024

Keith1010

OK one more.  

2022 cruise Vancouver to New York City in a PS category  (25 days) $2,479.00 per diem.

2024 cruise Vancouver to New York CIty in a PS Sapphire (former PS) (24 days) $1,847.00 per diem.

When World Cruise is shown I'll take a look at 2024 versus original 2022 pricing.

Keith

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Sorry Keith,

I don't think that it is useful to compare old and new. Rather, it is more relevant to compare the competition and itinerary.

Crystal 8N Alaska on a rather conventional itinerary C$6,300 solo...

https://www.crystalcruises.com/cruises/none-cse-008-240813

Ponant small ship, unconventional itinerary. 10N US$7,100 (no single supplement) for OV. Veranda comes at just a little more US$7,590. Comes with a flight between Sitka and Seattle.

https://us.ponant.com/alaska-majestic-alaska-so280724-12

Gotta go with Ponant unless New Crystal has a compelling onboard experience and generous cancellation policy.

Then, there's the suites on a choice of vessels from 50k GT to 120k GT on the mainstream companies.

Please do not be sorry but the purpose of my thread was not to compare Crystal to other lines. If you would like to do that please start a new thread.

Why did I start this thread?

Because some  peoplesaid the prices had gone up quite a bit between Crystal new versus Crystal old.

On the other hand some people said the prices had gone done for new Crystal versus Crystal old.

Some said it was about the same.

I was not sure but since I don't think people make this stuff up I suspected it will vary and also could vary by category and definitely by double occupancy versus solo.

Again, that is the purpose of the thread. Very simple.

And I would love if we can keep this on track with people posting their comparisons if they so choose.

Thank you.

Keith

27 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Sorry Keith,

I don't think that it is useful to compare old and new. Rather, it is more relevant to compare the competition and itinerary.

Crystal 8N Alaska on a rather conventional itinerary C$6,300 solo...

https://www.crystalcruises.com/cruises/none-cse-008-240813

Ponant small ship, unconventional itinerary. 10N US$7,100 (no single supplement) for OV. Veranda comes at just a little more US$7,590. Comes with a flight between Sitka and Seattle.

https://us.ponant.com/alaska-majestic-alaska-so280724-12

Gotta go with Ponant unless New Crystal has a compelling onboard experience and generous cancellation policy.

Then, there's the suites on a choice of vessels from 50k GT to 120k GT on the mainstream companies.

You have got a good point there. I will start looking at Ponant. However, I find it good to compare also with the previous prices from the Crystal we new and loved. Both comparisons are very helpful to decide.

1) Comparison with Original Crystal prices because assuming the new company will deliver same quality, now we know if this is being delivered at per diem prices acceptable to us.

2) Comparison to other cruise lines, because since some of us are price sensitive but still enjoy cruising and never, ever,  had an experience in which we did not appreciate the crew, itineraries, etc., we will compare the per diem to others and see if current per diems for this new Crystal are what we wish to pay. 
Ivi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A great thread.   Some Crystal voyages will be priced higher than a comparable itinerary on old Crystal Cruises while other 2023/2024 voyages might be more reasonably priced.  There are too many variables at play.  I do think this initial offering of itineraries and pricing will be toggled up and down based on another set of variables.  We may even see various promotions in 2023/2024 to entice bookings on certain itineraries.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, crickette said:

This could turn into a -very- interesting thread.

We were booked Symphony Athens to Abu Dhabi in Oct/Nov 2019 in a Seabreeze penthouse (not SB suite).  Our booking confirmation shows $9349pp plus $944 port fees.  That price reflected a $2700 Book Now promotion, so starting price of $12049.  (Starting price was $3999, OV).

We are looking at the same cruise itinerary in December 2024.  The starting price is $11300 (presume ocean view double).  The starting price for the aquamarine verandah suites, redesigned 2017, is $17800pp

Christmas cruises demand a premium, but not usually >5k!

Sorry Crystal.  Wish I could go back and edit my post, but it is too late now. 

The dollar figures for the 2019 cruise were in US$.  The dollar figures for the 2024 cruise are in CAD$.  Second paragraph should be revised to $8300 and $15900 and Aquamarine should be replaced with Sapphire. These price increases are far more reasonable, considering increasing prices throughout the travel industry. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, goldengatecruisers said:

We may even see various promotions in 2023/2024 to entice bookings on certain itineraries.  

We can but hope however, I very much doubt they would be applicable for single occupancy fares!!!  There are so few entry level Oceanview staterooms left now that any promotion at that level is unlikely.  I suspect my days of Crystal cruising are now behind me!!!   😢

Anne...

1 hour ago, Jayayeff said:

We can but hope however, I very much doubt they would be applicable for single occupancy fares!!!  There are so few entry level Oceanview staterooms left now that any promotion at that level is unlikely.  I suspect my days of Crystal cruising are now behind me!!!   😢

Anne...

My gut tells me to disagree on some level, but this comment has no more accurate basis of predicting the future than remembering the past, so who knows….

Cruise lines (especially Crystal originally in the beginning) aren’t overly single-friendly until they have some kind of sales history or inventory data to work from.  They tend to pick a basic sales strategy for singles and go with that until they can see where the inventory is tight and where they have excess play.  Unless Crystal becomes the first cruise line in history to set the world on fire in its first year and struggle to keep up with insane demand (I’m certainly not taking that bet), I fully expect Crystal’s second year and beyond to be a lot more single-friendly than what it markets in pre-launch sales and initial seasons.  That’s not saying New Crystal will be as single-friendly as Old Crystal (their inventory dynamic has been turned on its ear), but in every case I can think of in this segment, cruise lines didn’t really push themselves to singles until they knew where and how it fit best for them in sales data.

Vince

• Like 3

On 2/23/2023 at 4:55 AM, seaknots said:

why compare new crystal price - new company no history inclusions unknown - with old crystal - bankrupt not sailing

Simply because some were saying the price was x percent higher than old Crystal so I decided to start a thread to get examples after I looked at a cruise.

Comparison between my booked and fully paid Crystal Serenity cruise from Vancouver to New York due to sail in August 2022, 25 days total price including all taxes and fees for a solo passenger in Cabin Ocean View, midship category C2. Total price US 9343. Per Diem US 373.72. This cruise never took place due to Crystal’s bankruptcy.

Same itinerary and number of days for August 2024, in the solo C3 Ocean view cabins forward, US 12.900 including the so called destination fees (I am not sure if those are taxes and fees ). This is a Per Diem of US 516.

If I would like to take the same category C2 as for the cruise, which never took place,  the price would be US 23.600 (assuming the taxes and fees are included and that as a solo traveler I would have to pay for two because of choosing that category). This means a Per Diem of US 944.

Ivi

10 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Comparison between my booked and fully paid Crystal Serenity cruise from Vancouver to New York due to sail in August 2022, 25 days total price including all taxes and fees for a solo passenger in Cabin Ocean View, midship category C2. Total price US 9343. Per Diem US 373.72. This cruise never took place due to Crystal’s bankruptcy.

Same itinerary and number of days for August 2024, in the solo C3 Ocean view cabins forward, US 12.900 including the so called destination fees (I am not sure if those are taxes and fees ). This is a Per Diem of US 516.

If I would like to take the same category C2 as for the cruise, which never took place,  the price would be US 23.600 (assuming the taxes and fees are included and that as a solo traveler I would have to pay for two because of choosing that category). This means a Per Diem of US 944.

Ivi

Lvi, I have found that new Crystal generally charges a 50% solo supplement for deck 7 on serenity, so not quite as bad.  I would note that old Crystal charged 25% or 30% supplement for deck 7. 

In any case, quite a price increase.  Ouch! 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

Lvi, I have found that new Crystal generally charges a 50% solo supplement for deck 7 on serenity, so not quite as bad.  I would note that old Crystal charged 25% or 30% supplement for deck 7. 

In any case, quite a price increase.  Ouch! 

Thanks for this information. We will see how much actually the solo supplement is. But you are right, it hurts 😔

Ivi

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for this information. We will see how much actually the solo supplement is. But you are right, it hurts 😔

Ivi

Looking at it another way you could say that back in the day old Crystal was too cheap for a solo traveller.

You have had the good days 😁

Edited by Mr Luxury

6 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Looking at it another way you could say that back in the day old Crystal was too cheap for a solo traveller.

You have had the good days 😁

I would not say too cheap. I would say it was price worthy. I have booked several cruises with other cruise lines with solo tariffs which were price worthy. 
Ivi

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travelberlin said:

I would not say too cheap. I would say it was price worthy. I have booked several cruises with other cruise lines with solo tariffs which were price worthy. 
Ivi

Price worthy,i like that and you got it in twice in a short post.😁

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Bottom line - it is what it is so no point in agonizing over it. We either pay up or stay home. We're too old for the latter. 🤣 Might as well go!

Oh yes we go! The question is with which company 😉 at the moment we are exploring what the new Crystal has to offer…

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

8 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Oh yes we go! The question is with which company 😉 at the moment we are exploring what he new Crystal has to offer…

Ivi

My point was not which company, my point was this is Crystal, this is the price, just like any other product, take it or leave it.😎

Edited by suzeluvscruz
  • Like 3

Just now, suzeluvscruz said:

My point was not which company, my point was this is Crystal, this is the price, take it or leave it.😎

Oh no, this thread was started for those comparisons. This is the reason why people are contributing. It is not a take it or leave it thread. 
Ivi

7 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Oh no, this thread was started for those comparisons. This is the reason why people are contributing. It is not a take it or leave it thread. 
Ivi

Yes.

This thread was to see examples of the prices.

So far it is showing:

Prices could be higher, same or even less in 2023 or 2024 compared to 2022 and before.

It can vary based on specific itinerary, and whether one is traveling double occupancy or solo and within that by itinerary or just a specific year 2023/2024

Before this I was reading some saying it was higher or lower but wanted to understand which ones and any other factors and that is what this is showing.

I welcome others to post specifics should they wish too.

Thank you to those contributing to this with specific pricing from your bookings, current and past, or does you are considering versus past bookings as well as others who are contributing other related/constructive information

Keith

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes.

This thread was to see examples of the prices.

So far it is showing:

Prices could be higher, same or even less in 2023 or 2024 compared to 2022 and before.

It can vary based on specific itinerary, and whether one is traveling double occupancy or solo and within that by itinerary or just a specific year 2023/2024

Before this I was reading some saying it was higher or lower but wanted to understand which ones and any other factors and that is what this is showing.

I welcome others to post specifics should they wish too.

Thank you to those contributing to this with specific pricing from your bookings, current and past, or does you are considering versus past bookings as well as others who are contributing other related/constructive information

Keith

This is exactly how I understood this thread Keith. This is why I am contributing. 
Ivi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1