6th May Alaska cruise.

zingaro

Hi everyone, it will be our first Alaska cruise on MS Koningsdam 6th May. We are spending 4 days in Vancouver pre cruise first. Ports of call are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

Can anyone recommend any tours at these ports of call or Vancouver please, whether with an independent operator or the cruise company please.

I think we have $100 dollars each credit towards a tour with the ship as we have paid extra for have it all. 

Also it says that you can only have 15 drinks a day upto €11, I like whisky and dry ginger, would this be counted as two drinks. Also if you have soft drinks during the day like Coke, is this classed as one of your 15 drinks, if it is, then I presume it would be better to pay for your Coke and save the credits for cocktails, wine or spirits which would work out more expensive. 

We are flying from the UK and have only a 23 kilo allowance, do we need to pack heavy clothing and boots for the shore excursions at this time of year. Also is there a self service laundry onboard.

Can you recommend any tips that will make our cruise more enjoyable, do we tip the cabin steward and waiters separately or is it automatic tipping. Sorry for all the questions, but it's our first time cruising with Holland America. Many thanks

Not sure if you have the Elite or Signature beverage package.

From the HAL site:

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling or still, 400ml or less) & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $11.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). 

All your drinks will count towards your daily limit of 15 drinks (exceptions would be regular coffee/tea at meals, as well as basic juice at breakfast.

As for clothing, you should layer your outerwear to keep you warm and dry.  In the US, a fleece vest or jacket, paired with a breathable rain jacket would work great.  Coming from the UK, you may have woolen outerwear that would work perfectly.  You should also bring waterproof shoes, hat and gloves. 

Laundry service is available - and I would pack light and take advantage of it.

16 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Not sure if you have the Elite or Signature beverage package.

From the HAL site:

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas, bottled water (sparkling or still, 400ml or less) & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $11.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). 

All your drinks will count towards your daily limit of 15 drinks (exceptions would be regular coffee/tea at meals, as well as basic juice at breakfast.

As for clothing, you should layer your outerwear to keep you warm and dry.  In the US, a fleece vest or jacket, paired with a breathable rain jacket would work great.  Coming from the UK, you may have woolen outerwear that would work perfectly.  You should also bring waterproof shoes, hat and gloves. 

Laundry service is available - and I would pack light and take advantage of it.

Thanks for the reply, it is the signature package we have. 

If you think you'll be approaching the 15 drink max with expensive drinks, you may want to buy a beverage card for the inexpensive ones. All drinks that go through your cruise card (your room card) will automatically be charged to your beverage package. You cannot say 'I want to pay for this one seperately'. Better to pull out a prepaid beverage card for those. Any money left on it at the end of the cruise will be refunded to you.

There is no self serve laundry on HAL. But they have an excellent laundry service. You can purchase unlimited laundry that includes everyone in the cabin for $7/day, or send out a cloth bag (HAL provides) stuffed with clothes for $20. The bags look small but you can fit a lot of clothes in there! They generally are returned within 24 hours, pressed and either on hangers or nicely folded. I wouldn't recommend sending anything delicate or that may shrink (ie, wool sweaters).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, yerdua said:

If you think you'll be approaching the 15 drink max with expensive drinks, you may want to buy a beverage card for the inexpensive ones. All drinks that go through your cruise card (your room card) will automatically be charged to your beverage package. You cannot say 'I want to pay for this one seperately'. Better to pull out a prepaid beverage card for those. Any money left on it at the end of the cruise will be refunded to you.

There is no self serve laundry on HAL. But they have an excellent laundry service. You can purchase unlimited laundry that includes everyone in the cabin for $7/day, or send out a cloth bag (HAL provides) stuffed with clothes for $20. The bags look small but you can fit a lot of clothes in there! They generally are returned within 24 hours, pressed and either on hangers or nicely folded. I wouldn't recommend sending anything delicate or that may shrink (ie, wool sweaters).

Thank you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic @zingaro! I recommend one of the Harv and Marv whale watching excursions in Juneau.  They have smaller boats than some of the other operators which I think is a better experience.  Less crowded and easier to see and take pictures.  It was the highlight of one of my Juneau stops.

Harv and Marv's Outback Alaska | Juneau Whale Watching (harvandmarvs-juneau-whale-watching.com)

"Crew Appreciation" aka crew tips will be automatically charged to your room account. Please leave them in place. You can always give any crew additional cash if they gave service extras that make your cruise extra special.  Beverages on the packages already include 18% tips.  Specialty restaurants already include 18% tips.  

A whisky and ginger is considered one drink.  You can order a double shot of whisky if wanted and that is counted as two drinks.

Have a great cruise!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greetings, I'm on the same cruise. It will be my first pleasure cruise ever. Really looking forward to it. 

Did you book the White Pass Railway? Haven't done this myself, but many people tell me it a not to miss. I booked it through HAL.

I'm looking at the Gold Belt Tram in Juneau. Some people think it's just an overpriced ride to a gift shop. I think it is overpriced, but Mrs. Klutch and I watched some videos and she would really like to see the views and walk some of the trails at the top.

The whale watching tours sound great, but they are very long and quite expensive. Not sure if I'm up for one of those. Maybe I'll see how the weather is and if there are any openings. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch
  • Thanks 1

@zingaro

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Holland America Line (HAL).

Just going to give you a heads up on a few things, viewed from a non North American perspective.

The onboard currency is US Dollars.  Everything is priced in US Dollars and your onboard account will be charged in US Dollars.  You can, if you wish, deposit cash dollars against your account, but I and many others have found it simpler to leave it all up to the Credit Card company.  During the Online checkin you will be asked to give credit card details for the card you wish to use for the cruise.

The Total of 15 drinks a day is inclusive of Coke/Lattes/water in cans etc.  Make sure to rotate the cards if one of your party is not a big drinker.  I have never hit 15, but still keep a mental note of the count and sometimes use the wife's card to get waters etc.  There is water on tap in the Lido, also ice and you can help yourself.  Or use a refillable water bottle.  There is also coffee and tea available 24/7 in the Lido (PG Tips + others).  One thing we do is on the first day we get extra waters and diet coke/7 up etc as it is a short day and there is no way we would hit next or near 15 drinks each, so it is nice to have a 'cushion' for another 'thirsty' day. 

Please leave the tips/Crew Appreciation in place.  That way ALL who look after you so well will be rewarded and there is no need to go looking for people.  If you wish to tip someone a bit extra it will be gratefully received.  The tips are charged to your onboard account so there is no need to worry about anything.  

We have not sailed Alaska but have done North Cape (Norway) and Iceland, which I think would be similar.  We used waterproof runners/joggers with good grippy outdoor soles and a windproof/waterproof jacket.  Both are very light.  Perhaps somewhere like Millets or similar.

Layering is the important bit.  A good quality base layer (we use M&S long sleeve thermal vests) is important.  Much as I am ashamed to admit it, I also wear a hoodie as the fleece is nice and warm.

The laundry service is very good. You can do it by the bag, or unlimited during your cruise.  If it is a 7 day cruise then it will cost you about $63 for unlimited laundry for the week and it is per cabin and not per person.

If you are feeling a bit homesick then the Lido has all the ingredients for an English Breakfast.  Proper back bacon, baked beans, mushroom, fried bread, Grilled tomato etc.  It may not be immediately obvious where it is available and it is necessary to go to another station to get eggs, but it makes a good breakfast!

When you are onboard the ship and trying to find your bearings remember that even numbered cabins are on the Port side and if the even numbered cabins are on your left side, then you are facing forwards and if the even numbered cabins are on your right side then you are facing aft.

4 days in Vancouver - nice.  Expensive to eat and drink out, but a beautiful city. 

Don't forget your ESTA and eTA

Have a great cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Assuming this is a 7 day cruise plus a few days extra, your laundry  needs might be limited even when packing light.

Washing out a layer of silk or quick dry long underwear in the sink and hanging it on the bathtub clothes line or on hangers overnight, might be the way to keep things fresh and provide that necessary extra layer for wind and warmth.

All ports sell pretty inexpensive fleece packages - hats, gloves, scarfs - to make up for anything you failed to pack. Agree, water-proof shoes and lightweight wind/rain protection, with your "layers" may be all you need to pack. 

• Thanks 1

To add to @VMax1700 suggestion of getting cans of water, softdrink, or even beer on first day or port days -- all cabins on the K'dam have a mini-fridge. You can ask your room steward to empty it of the contents (which are charged, and not covered by the SBP) to use it for your stockpile! The canned water is very flat-tasting and there is nothing wrong with the ship's water, but with your packing you may not want to pack a sports-bottle... Although single-use plastic bottles are supposed to be "caught" and surrendered on boarding -- we inadvertantly brought two on board at a day port, and did use them to mix up our Crystallite powdered drinks!

You can charge two drinks per swipe of card (and the bartenders like that, it's faster). We alternated which card we handed in and never reached @15, even on seadays. All single-shot drinks are priced and counted as the liquor in them, even "frou-frou" boat-drinks! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zingaro said:

Can you recommend any tips that will make our cruise more enjoyable, do we tip the cabin steward and waiters separately or is it automatic tipping. Sorry for all the questions, but it's our first time cruising with Holland America. Many thanks

There is a small roll-call for your cruise:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2904660-may-6-13-alaska-inside-passage/#comment-64580690

My experience with three HAL Alaska cruises is the roll-calls tend not to be very active, but the more who post the better!

Recommendations for port activities are whale-watching in Juneau (done twice), train trip in Skagway (done twice, perferred the "train up/bus back" version for two views of the back country), in Ketchikan you can either self-tour Creek Street (old-time looking tourist shops) with lunch at the Alaska Fish House back at dock level -- or tour one of the Totem Pole displays. Have been to all of them, they're all fine with the state park giving you a nice walk in the woods as well, and bald eagles a numerous as seagulls!

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2023 at 2:36 PM, Colorado Klutch said:

Greetings, I'm on the same cruise. It will be my first pleasure cruise ever. Really looking forward to it. 

Did you book the White Pass Railway? Haven't done this myself, but many people tell me it a not to miss. I booked it through HAL.

I'm looking at the Gold Belt Tram in Juneau. Some people think it's just an overpriced ride to a gift shop. I think it is overpriced, but Mrs. Klutch and I watched some videos and she would really like to see the views and walk some of the trails at the top.

The whale watching tours sound great, but they are very long and quite expensive. Not sure if I'm up for one of those. Maybe I'll see how the weather is and if there are any openings. 

We have booked the white pass railway in Skagway, also booked Bearings sea crab fisherman's tour in Ketchikan. Thinking of booking the whale watching and Meddenhall glacier tour in Juneau. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, zingaro said:

We have booked the white pass railway in Skagway 

Very good choice for Skagway, we loved it, and don't miss Stanley Park in Vancouver. You can take the bus there from any corner almost, depending upon where you are staying. Go to the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, and go to the USFS visitor center in Ketchikan (bring your park pass for free entry). Walkable city. We hiked Deer Mountain in Ketchikan. Brutal hike, but we saw some amazing vistas.

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2023 at 2:49 AM, zingaro said:

Can anyone recommend any tours at these ports of call or Vancouver please, whether with an independent operator or the cruise company please.

I'm sailing on Koningsdam leaving May 20th.  I booked the Tracy Arm excursion through HAL. I think that the best way to see glaciers up close.  Also, I hope to see a lot of wildlife on the 6 hour tour, whales, seals, eagles, may even a bear or two if we get lucky.

I'm touring Vancouver on my own so no recommendations there. I plan to tour Ketchikan and Juneau on my own as well.

In Skagway, I'm taking the White Pass & Yukon Route railroad tour via Chilkoot Charters and Tours.

3 hours ago, zingaro said:

Are you allowed to take a couple of bottles of Soda on board, on embarkation day to consume in the cabin. 

No.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.shipboard-life.can-i-bring-alcoholic-beverages-onboard.html

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.    

9 hours ago, zingaro said:

Are you allowed to take a couple of bottles of Soda on board, on embarkation day to consume in the cabin. 

As @VMax1700 suggested, upon embarkation you can pick up a few cans of soda from any bar using your beverage package and put them in your cabin refrigerator.

On 2/22/2023 at 7:36 AM, VMax1700 said:

One thing we do is on the first day we get extra waters and diet coke/7 up etc as it is a short day and there is no way we would hit next or near 15 drinks each, so it is nice to have a 'cushion' for another 'thirsty' day.