Refund for Cruise Planner cancellation.

Rusty_lock

So I just had something odd happen.  This morning I cancelled a spa treatment for my wife because she decided on a different day.  I booked the new day and time and went into my cruise planner and cancelled the original booking.  Typically, about 7 days later, I see a credit on my credit card with the refund.  However, I went back into my cruise planner this afternoon and to my surprise I now have OBC in the amount of the cancelled spa treatment.  This has never happened before.  Has anyone else ever had their refund come in the form of OBC immediately instead of returning back to the original form of payment 5-10 days later?

4 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Hmmm. No. Maybe someone pushed the wrong button on their end? I think that is only supposed to happen when you are within 3 days of sailing. Has someone been playing board games again? 😄

It's not a complaint really, more just an observation.  I'm going to spend the money onboard so I don't really care.  It was just curious that's all.

I'm 11 days out from the cruise so it's not the 3 day thing...  

• Like 1

Yesterday I cancelled a one night's reservation for the main dining room and my e-mail did say that I would get an OBC for the cancelled item (which is $0)

As a point of reference yesterday was 19 days till sailing

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Coralc said:

Maybe it is new, and just another way to keep money in RC's pocket instead of ours? They have to refund it eventually, if it isn't spent onboard, but in the meantime, interest rates are up. 🤔

The problem is it's got me on my cruise planner looking for ways to spend it.  Apparently, I have no self-control.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rusty_lock said:

So I just had something odd happen.  This morning I cancelled a spa treatment for my wife because she decided on a different day.  I booked the new day and time and went into my cruise planner and cancelled the original booking.  Typically, about 7 days later, I see a credit on my credit card with the refund.  However, I went back into my cruise planner this afternoon and to my surprise I now have OBC in the amount of the cancelled spa treatment.  This has never happened before.  Has anyone else ever had their refund come in the form of OBC immediately instead of returning back to the original form of payment 5-10 days later?

Interesting.  I know that last year they were talking about a way to allow you do get a lower price without having to cancel, and then repurchase and wait for a refund.  Perhaps this is a  workaround

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

Maybe it is new, and just another way to keep money in RC's pocket instead of ours? They have to refund it eventually, if it isn't spent onboard, but in the meantime, interest rates are up. 🤔

I tend to agree. They would rather you spend the OBC on say drinks which cost them pennies per measure but you $$$.  They also get to keep the money rather then give you the cold hard cash back 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Interesting.  I know that last year they were talking about a way to allow you do get a lower price without having to cancel, and then repurchase and wait for a refund.  Perhaps this is a  workaround

I guess that's the less cynical explanation. So you cancel, wait till you see the obc and then use it to rebook and remaining obc sits there to be used on board or for something else from the planner. 

We had our refund go against our cruise fare.  As such, we weren't paid in full and had to make a payment to cover it.  I am still waiting for the actual credit to hit my credit card. 

I would not like them doing it as an OBC since that would mean having to spend it with them.

• Like 1

Follow up:  Ok, I'm just an idiot.  The reason it was refunded in OBC is because I purchased it with OBC and not my usual credit card, I just forgot.  I made the purchase a year ago and had long forgot that I had $450 of OBC.  I don't usually have that much OBC so just wasn't thinking about it when all this happened.  Sorry for the irrelevant thread LOL.  No new policy has been implemented.  I'm just one step closer to an Alzheimer diagnosis.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

Follow up:  Ok, I'm just an idiot.  The reason it was refunded in OBC is because I purchased it with OBC and not my usual credit card, I just forgot.  I made the purchase a year ago and had long forgot that I had $450 of OBC.  I don't usually have that much OBC so just wasn't thinking about it when all this happened.  Sorry for the irrelevant thread LOL.  No new policy has been implemented.  I'm just one step closer to an Alzheimer diagnosis.  🙂 

I actually would like them to offer this as an option since my card is in euros so if I cancel anything I'm at the mercy of the exchange rate and get hit a second time with foreign currency transaction fees into the bargain. I'd be more than happy just to let the money sit there as OBC to eventually offset grats and any other onboard spending.

Probably best that they don't, though. They have a hard enough time getting the refunds processed correctly as it is...

1 minute ago, FionaMG said:

I actually would like them to offer this as an option since my card is in euros so if I cancel anything I'm at the mercy of the exchange rate and get hit a second time with foreign currency transaction fees into the bargain. I'd be more than happy just to let the money sit there as OBC to eventually offset grats and any other onboard spending.

Probably best that they don't, though. They have a hard enough time getting the refunds processed correctly as it is...

I think that this is a great idea.  It's especially good if you are just cancelling and rebooking to take advantage of a better price.

Edited by Rusty_lock
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, roseoftx said:

We had our refund go against our cruise fare.  As such, we weren't paid in full and had to make a payment to cover it.  I am still waiting for the actual credit to hit my credit card. 

I would not like them doing it as an OBC since that would mean having to spend it with them.

Same situation here.  I received a call from someone from the executive office and was told the only way to resolve this is to pay the “balance” and they will reissue the refund from the add-on account.  I paid it and received a refund the following day, but the refund was from Celebrity instead of Royal; I’ve never booked or cruised with Celebrity. A few days later, the refund was reversed and I’m back to owing $430.32 on a paid off cruise.  I do not want OBC for this; I want the money refunded correctly.