% of guests who remove gratuities

kruzerci

Just now, UnregisteredUser said:

Atleast for us buying from Royals European website they are included, but specified and not able to deselect when booking a cruise. (Of course it is possible on ship to remove them but not when buying, need to be prepaid in full)

I mean without dis-selection.

Without option to opt out.

So whatever RCI needs to pay workers - customer facing or not - would be included and forgotten.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

I mean without dis-selection.

Without option to opt out.

So whatever RCI needs to pay workers - customer facing or not - would be included and forgotten.

I agree 100%.

Also the whole system with one price advertised and then a mandatory tip (exluded) made me confused in the beginning.

Drink price at 14$ + 18%tip? Then IMHO it isn't $14 but $16.52.

Same thing with DBP at $72 + 18%, why even advertise it at the lower prise when the real price you have to pay is $84.96?

But I am used to it now but it still doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I really, really wish RCI includes autogratuities into their fare at this point.

I know it is a tax issue, but still...

All discussions about it will be gone.

That would not end tipping discussions.

People would discuss tipping above what was included in the fare.  People would discuss whether service suffered once crew knew tips were not at risk.  People would discuss whether the money really goes to crew… or the crew members they want their money to go to.  People would discuss this new policy compared to other cruiselines and the old way.  

If you don’t want to read tipping threads, you’ll have to stop yourself from reading tipping threads

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

So how would that work when they are charged to your account on a daily basis and two days before the end of your cruise you are charged for that day and the last day since they close billing the night before the last day (e.g. on day 6 we were charged for gratuities for day 6 and day 8, on day 7 we were charged for day 7 and on day 8 we were not charged for daily gratuties)?  Just cruious what you have gotten refunded back to your account when you remove them the last night?

100% is reversed back within a few hours or as you leave the ship - depending when you remove it👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 1:17 PM, cello56 said:

If the cruise lines started including gratuities then we would be having a discussion on how cheap some folks are to not give the staff an 'extra' tip above and beyond the included gratuities? 

I agree. Though I'm in favour of included gratuities, I'll bet a good percentage of pax will feel they should tip on top. 

25 minutes ago, uvadover said:

The good news is that everyone who declines the auto-gratuities comes on this board to boast how they over-tip, in cash, to all of the support staff, seen or unseen during the cruise.

I've never read anyone who tips cash say they give a dime to the unseen support staff. 

Here is what I want to know. I leave the auto tips on. But I also tip extra in the form of cash . My choice. In the days before auto tip the steward would leave a certain amount of envelopes in the room. I think 4.  Fill them up.  Pass them out. Easy.   Now the steward leaves just one envelope.  Who is that supposed to be for?  Himself?   Does he not care for his fellow sailors?  Does he just like to see me have go to the pursers desk to get more?  What is his intention?  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Here is what I want to know. I leave the auto tips on. But I also tip extra in the form of cash . My choice. In the days before auto tip the steward would leave a certain amount of envelopes in the room. I think 4.  Fill them up.  Pass them out. Easy.   Now the steward leaves just one envelope.  Who is that supposed to be for?  Himself?   Does he not care for his fellow sailors?  Does he just like to see me have go to the pursers desk to get more?  What is his intention?  

Totally agree! The envelope shortage has to end!

I suggest you buy a 100 pack and slide 10 under each door of the cabins around you!👌

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Most report tipping much more than the auto grats. You should not assume otherwise. 

That’s funny.  Rough guess?  About the same percentage of adults who still believe in Santa.

Edited by bucfan2

Just found out oasis is starting the once a day cleaning on 3/12....I sail on 4/2....I can tell you for sure that I'll be in the percentage that removes tips. Raising tips for less service? I'm on vacation not a charity mission trip. Sorry not sorry 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

The crew member is made aware of what, how and when they are bring paid. They accepted the job on those terms, just like people do when accepting a job on land. The tips are part of the system the cruise industry came up with to use cruise passengers' money to pad their employee's salary. Just like restaurants in the US

It would be less stressful for all of us, if your add the cost of the automatic tips to the cost of the cruise determine that is the true cost.  Go on the cruise and enjoy yourself and not obsess over how the cruise line and the the workers deal with the tipping system.  You will know that you contributed to that system and provided your share even if you may not agree with it,  it is really none of our business.

You probably don’t obsess over how employees get paid at the supermarket, doctors office, AC technicians, car mechanics etc. why stress over it for your vacation, it is what it is. If someone provides services that are over and above, you can reward them with some additional cash.

I’d like that those who remove auto tips to do it on embarkation day VS the last night. I’ve seen it noted here on CC that they are concerned because they are concerned that they will get lesser quality service.  

If one is removing it preemptively in their minds before boarding the ship, then do it on boarding day. Go right to GS before the line is long.  Instead of waiting to the last day. Do it on day one, and own it. Maybe RC will learn something from this action as well. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vibe said:

The crew member is made aware of what, how and when they are bring paid. They accepted the job on those terms, just like people do when accepting a job on land. The tips are part of the system the cruise industry came up with to use cruise passengers' money to pad their employee's salary. Just like restaurants in the US

It would be less stressful for all of us, if your add the cost of the automatic tips to the cost of the cruise determine that is the true cost.  Go on the cruise and enjoy yourself and not obsess over how the cruise line and the the workers deal with the tipping system.  You will know that you contributed to that system and provided your share even if you may not agree with it,  it is really none of our business.

You probably don’t obsess over how employees get paid at the supermarket, doctors office, AC technicians, car mechanics etc. why stress over it for your vacation, it is what it is. If someone provides services that are over and above, you can reward them with some additional cash.

I'm not stressing over it and never have. I don't care. At all. LOL. I tip who I see who actually does something for me (like on land) after that I move on. The rest is not my problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vibe said:

It really is none of your business how and when others tip. LOL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ryder101 said:

I'm not stressing over it and never have. I don't care. At all. LOL. I tip who I see who actually does something for me (like on land) after that I move on. The rest is not my problem.

Doing that still disrupts the tipping system that it in place.  Someone is getting screwed out of compensation. 

1 minute ago, Ryder101 said:

It really is none of your business how and when others tip. LOL.

It kinda is my business because the cheap people that remove their tips cause the cruise line to raise that daily tip amount for the people that go with the system. 

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’d like that those who remove auto tips to do it on embarkation day VS the last night. I’ve seen it noted here on CC that they are concerned because they are concerned that they will get lesser quality service.  

If one is removing it preemptively in their minds before boarding the ship, then do it on boarding day. Go right to GS before the line is long.  Instead of waiting to the last day. Do it on day one, and own it. Maybe RC will learn something from this action as well. 

I truly believe more remove on day one to begin with. Probably because they don't ever want it on their credit card for even a few days.

For crew to than give less service would be shooting themselves in the foot. Up until the last day there is the chance of getting cash tips out of people's pockets, and they are fully aware of that possibility.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vibe said:

Doing that still disrupts the tipping system that it in place.  Someone is getting screwed out of compensation. 

I don't care. LOL. It's not my problem. And it's set up with the expectation that a certain % won't be participating. It disrupts nothing. They know it will happen.

• Like 4