Misty fjords flight (island wings)

latebuyer

Some people may have seen my taku lodge thread but i am now considering the misty fjords flight although i would have to cancel the bering crab fishetman's tour. I like it is a 2 hour flight vs. 40 min for taku lodge and costs less. My concern is the plane seems awful small and i wonder how rough it gets. I've only flown in an otter and feel a bit uncomfortable in plane so small.  

If you google Island Wings Ketchikan - you will find a ton of reviews. Michelle is highly thought of and people love her tour.

I went with a different company (not Island Wings). These planes are small. As far as roughness - it depends on conditions of the day. The day we flew, there was a ton of turbulence in the air and my trip was really rough. We all felt sick afterwards. I don't think it had anything to do with the pilot. This is the only time I have felt motion sickness in my life.

My husband and I went with Island Wings with owner/pilot Michele in Sept 2014.  It was my first float plane trip and so smooth I hardly even felt the touchdown when landing.  No issues at all with nausea etc.  (Last year I went on several small safari bush planes while in Africa and although the weather was good, I could definitely feel a difference). When in Alaska, we chose Island Wing's Traitors Cove tour to see bears catching salmon and it was a fabulous experience.  Viewing platform schedules were limited and enforced by onsite volunteers with only 12 folks at a time allowed at the viewing platform the whole time we were there.

On 2/26/2023 at 5:09 PM, latebuyer said:

Thanks Coral. Definitely the trip advisor reviews are all positive, but i wondered how rough it could get, particularly in a small plane.

Unfortunately one can not say it will be rough or smooth. There are external decisions that decide that beyond what the pilot can control. Though - on a plus side, I have never read anything negative about Michelle as a pilot. I think you would have one of the safest pilots if you go with Island Wings.

I’ve flown with island wings twice.  Once in June 2008 and again in September 2015.   Both flights were very smooth and I wouldn’t hesitate to go again and thought about doing in when I’m in Alaska in May but only have short time in port and pier is no longer in town so decided not to go.  I felt safer flying in that small plane than I do flying on commercial planes.  If you have the chance definitely go as you won’t regret it and Michelle is an amazing pilot and guide.  You will love it…

I always take Meclizine (non-drowsy motion sickness medication. Generic for Bonine) before a small plane or helicopter ride.  It's what I carry on all cruises but have rarely needed to take. 

Check with your doctor before taking it.  

~Nancy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/30/2023 at 11:07 PM, ukbballfan said:

Michelle and her beautiful Beaver Dehaviland plane are first class. Loved the tour with her…landed on a lake and went ashore to watch bears playing in the distance.

My wife  and I have flown with Michelle 4 times, including one trip to "Anan Wildlife Observatory" to see bears. Plan to go with her again next summer.

After 3 unsuccessful tries we finally were able to do this excursion on a beautiful clear day (rare for this area thus the 3 tours cancellations).  It was a great excursion and one not to miss IMO,  Just be certain to book with someone who is not afraid to cancel if weather looks at all iffy (HAL's excursions are good for this).  I have been on MANY small planes of this size or smaller and let me say that weather can be a real problem for them. 

Hi Travelbuds,

We're Bob & Judy & are your neighbors in AZ.  We live in NW Phoenix, but our address was actually Glendale before it was rezoned.  We decided yesterday to do a last minute cruise/land trip in Alaska in July, or August, & the deadline to book is today!  This will be our first Alaskan cruise.  It sounds like you two have a wealth of knowledge on Alaska, & are frequent cruisers on Princess which is the line we have cabins being held on.  Is there any way we could text, talk or private message with you today to get some input on what might be the best fit for us?  You can email us at jblucca@cox.net if you are open to this, & we'll reply with Bob's cell number.

Thank you!   

1 hour ago, 2animallvrs said:

Hi Travelbuds,

We're Bob & Judy & are your neighbors in AZ.    You can email us at jblucca@cox.net if you are open to this, & we'll reply with Bob's cell number.

Thank you!   

I just  sent you an email. Please email me back with your phone number. Easier to talk than type.

Bruce