Internet one device, two device question

Sigyn

I purchased the internet package for my upcoming cruise. I opted for one device per person on the cruise. I did this because on our recent NCL cruise, we could get one device and the person could switch between them by logging out of their phone, and logging into their laptop. Does it work that way on Royal Caribbean? Or do you have to get two devices per person in order for both people to use their phones and laptops, even if they log out of one and into the other?

You can also get one 2 device package and share between 2 people, or however many people get that number, which is often times cheaper than 1 per person.  DH and I get 1 package on his account and share.  Same applies just logout of a device to use another.  If someone forgets to logout it let's you know the max is reached and do you want to logout of one.

• Like 1

It's going to be cheaper for one person to get a two-device package than for two people to each buy a 1-device package, and the result is the same. 

Any two devices can be connected at any one time.  You can log off one device and log into another.  

Person A purchases a 2-device package.
On board, Person A activates their package, setting a UserName and a PIN code (4 digits).
Then Person A tells Person B what the UserName and PIN code are.  
Each person can log in whatever device they want -- phone, tablet, computer, etc. -- and log off and log in with a different device at any time.  Any two devices can be connected at once.

• Like 2

Now that access is not time-based, there is less a need to logout, etc.

Regardless of how many devices you purchase, when the "next" device tries to join and no more plans available - it simply asks if you wish to "disconnect" a previous device.  Works pretty well.

But sometimes it can still help to force the issue by browsing to LOGIN.COM or LOGOUT.COM.

Once we had to "forget the WiFi network" and come all the way back in fresh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dna1990 said:

Regardless of how many devices you purchase, when the "next" device tries to join and no more plans available - it simply asks if you wish to "disconnect" a previous device.  Works pretty well.

Unless there has been a recent change all I had to do in recent years was login and the other device would be logged out. I never had to log it out. 

37 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Unless there has been a recent change all I had to do in recent years was login and the other device would be logged out. I never had to log it out. 

Yes. With 1 device package it is like that,

43 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Yes. With 1 device package it is like that,

Just off the Indy with the 1 device package.  When I wanted to switch from my tablet to my phone it always asked if I wanted to switch devices

It does that now, perhaps to avoid accidently logging someone else out.  The reason to logout of one account is to ensure which one you replace.  If you get a 2 (or more plan) and you want to switch from phone to tablet, if it picks one, it might pick your wife's/kid's phone versus yours (as an example).  With 1 device if you are sharing with multiple people, this also is a confirmation that someone is logged and will be kicked off.

Edited by roseoftx
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

Just off the Indy with the 1 device package.  When I wanted to switch from my tablet to my phone it always asked if I wanted to switch devices

That's right. When you logged to another device.

You did not need to log off on original device.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, njsmom said:

How much is it for two devices for one person?

You have to look at your cruise planner. It is always cheaper to go one person and multiple devices, rather than multiple people and 1 device.

When you go 1 person and 2 devices, you will share a logon and pin, but 2 people can both be logged on at same time….for instance, if 1 person is $18.99, and the second device may be $14.99. When you do 2 people with their own device, then you pay $18.99 for each person, but they have separate logon’s and pins.

You can see price difference by adding to cart in planner…just don’t checkout.

I know, clear as mud, huh? Hahaha

Edited by crzndeb
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, crzndeb said:

It is always cheaper to go one person and multiple devices, rather than multiple people and 1 device.

Gotta be careful with absolutes - RCI has had times when they forgot to put the multiple device packages on sale so that in fact two single device packages was cheaper than the 2 two device package - very rare, but it could happen.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 9:25 PM, njsmom said:

How much is it for two devices for one person?

It varies I guess.   I am looking at getting it for next Jan when I cruise with my sister.  Right now 1 person 2 devices for that sailing is $132.  If I were to get it for my sailing next month it's $111.  I don't know how low it can go  I have never purchased it

19 minutes ago, molly361 said:

It varies I guess.   I am looking at getting it for next Jan when I cruise with my sister.  Right now 1 person 2 devices for that sailing is $132.  If I were to get it for my sailing next month it's $111.  I don't know how low it can go  I have never purchased it

Price your January one during the Black Friday sale. I pre-purchase as many as needed during that sale for upcoming cruises for the next year.

On 2/27/2023 at 10:00 AM, shellunderwater said:

Specifically...you don't have to log out before the other person logs in.  Logging in automatically logs out other users on that user id/password.  

Just to clarify:  if you are referring to a one-device plan, you have to click on "switch device" when using a different device.  Doesn't matter how many people share the plan:  it's only one at a time, and you have to switch devices during the login process for the "new" device.

I do this all the time between my phone and Surface Pro I travel with.

• Like 1

You can also use the logged in device as a hotspot, but the second (or more) devices that use the hotspot will have slower response time.

The person "broadcasting" the hotspot will have a unique network name shown in their wifi settings.  The second device logs into that network.

I tried this with my phone and Surface Pro, and found the second device had a lag time for responses, loading web sites, etc.