Windstar Cabin Advice

Host Jazzbeau

Back in 2020 I started a Sticky thread to collect cabin reviews on the newly renovated Star yachts, but it hasn't gotten much action.  There are two recent questions:  one about cabins on deck 3, and mine from today about S1 cabins.  Please take a look and offer advice!  thanks

I have been in cabins on decks 4,5 and 6.  All are good.  Saw the deck 3 cabins on my recent Breeze cruise.They are all completely new spaces created from the former Aamphora dining room.  They are midship and low.  Great location!  

• 5 months later...

Do any of the cabins on StarBreeze have "actual" balconies, or are they all French balconies due to the size of the ship? We're used to big old ships where a special time of day is sitting out on your balcony with your coffee or a glass of wine...

I think it would depend on the itinerary.  DW gets her exercise by walking a hallway loop whenever we're onboard ship, and she reports that she can definitely tell the difference between the front of the ship [bouncing around like a small person on a seesaw], the middle [the fulcrum], and the aft [like a big person on the seesaw, some movement but much less].  And of course there may be anchor chain noise in the morning.

But wait – 404 is an S category.  Are there any S1s available?–that entire section is further back.  The best location on the renovated Star sisters are the new cabins, since that section was spliced into the middle of the ship–how about upgrading to an SS1?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gambler458 said:

The only cabin left in S1 for my, soon-to-book, sailing is cabin 404.  Not midship by any means...how is is?

Cabin 404 on the Star Pride is is very much at the front of the ship. It also is one of the cabins that has a bath tub, if that matters to you.   

6688288418a899e.gif

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 12:50 PM, Gambler458 said:

The only cabin left in S1 for my, soon-to-book, sailing is cabin 404.  Not midship by any means...how is is?

I know you are asking about 404 , but we had friends in 403.  Their cabin was the same size as ours, but configured a bit differently.  They couldn't see the tv from the bed, if that matters.  They also had a lot of anchor noise when we were tendering.  But, they said it wouldn't be a deal breaker if they got that cabin again.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2023 at 3:21 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Star Ocean View 430-445, 542-545 and 638-639

Star Balcony 530-541 and 626-637

and (I think) Deluxe Suite 431, 531 and 627

Also the Star Port Hole Suites - if Star is in the category name, it was added in the stretch.

15 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

Also the Star Port Hole Suites - if Star is in the category name, it was added in the stretch.

The OVs and Balconies I listed are in the stretched section, and have the beds near the window/balcony.  

The Star Port Holes are in the existing part of the ship, and are more forward – but they do have the new arrangement with the bed near the porthole.  Not all the way forward, but more forward than the new section. 

The Deluxe Suites are in the new section, and have the beds near the window – but the living area is in a separate room with its own view.

So there are four issues to consider:  (1) location (mid/forward); (2) bed near window (bad for light in the morning); (3) bed near bathroom (for nighttime visits); (4) couch near window (for views).

After reflection we felt that all four issues favor the existing cabins unless you can spring for a Deluxe Suite.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The OVs and Balconies I listed are in the stretched section, and have the beds near the window/balcony.  

The Star Port Holes in the existing part of the ship, and are more forward – but they do have the new arrangement with the bed near the porthole.  Not all the way forward, but more forward than the new section.

The Port hole Suites aren't in the new section, but they were added when the ship was stretched. Prior to the stretch, there were no Suites on deck 3. 

Rather than put the new Suites in the added section, they moved Amphora there and put the new Suites in front of them. Presumably because they wanted Amphora to still be next to the main stair. One can be in the Lounge or Compass Rose before dinner, then go down the stair and Amphora is right there - better flow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...
On 2/27/2023 at 1:04 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Back in 2020 I started a Sticky thread to collect cabin reviews on the newly renovated Star yachts, but it hasn't gotten much action.  There are two recent questions:  one about cabins on deck 3, and mine from today about S1 cabins.  Please take a look and offer advice!  thanks

Recently Windstar cancelled my July 18th cruise to Dreams of Tahiti.  My options for rooms on Sea Breeze are very limited in my new date of June 26th.  My choice are 638 with connecting door to owners suite, 440 on port side and 545 SB side. Any recommendations? I am concerned about noise level to rooms and all are mid/aft area.

Do you prefer the Star suite configuration, bed by the window? All 3 are that configuration. 
I prefer the original sitting area by the window placement. Are none of the original Oceanview Suites available? 

Of the 3 you mention, I would prefer 440. It's over Amphora, but Amphora is usually used only for dinner and even then, I don't think the noise would carry up. Also, it is closer to midship than the other 2. 545 wouldn't be a bad choice either, cabins above and below so there shouldn't be any big noise issues. I like deck 5 for being in the middle so you are 2 decks or less from all public spaces other than Yacht Club and Star Grill.

1 hour ago, new_cruiser said:

Do you prefer the Star suite configuration, bed by the window? All 3 are that configuration. 
I prefer the original sitting area by the window placement. Are none of the original Oceanview Suites available? 

Of the 3 you mention, I would prefer 440. It's over Amphora, but Amphora is usually used only for dinner and even then, I don't think the noise would carry up. Also, it is closer to midship than the other 2. 545 wouldn't be a bad choice either, cabins above and below so there shouldn't be any big noise issues. I like deck 5 for being in the middle so you are 2 decks or less from all public spaces other than Yacht Club and Star Grill.

I think floor five too, we loved our room walk down the hall voila the bow's hot tub, great place outside 545 is good.All are Star category, I prefer the Ocean category with the sitting are near the window/balcony but in this case you will be happy with 545. Enjoy and Happy Sailing

We were recently on Star Pride 542. Great location and we enjoyed the large window, the living room when you walked in so I could drop all my stuff and the fabulous bathroom. 

Just to give a different perspective to the room configuration. We really enjoy the new star layout with the bed by the window for a couple of reasons. 1) I really like to look out the window while lying in bed. 2) I am a morning person, while my spouse is not, so I like how I can pull the dividing curtain between the bed area and the living area. I can get ready and come and go out of the room without much disturbance.

Another note, for an FYI, on our last cruise, we decided to save a bit of money and booked the star porthole suite on the Pride. We really liked being on floor 3. It was relatively quiet, felt much less motion on 3, and it felt a bit cooler on 3 than on the upper decks. Of course, I missed the large window, but I wouldn't hesitate to book a porthole suite again.

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestions!  I definitely like how 440 is more mid ship, however

I think I'm going to go with 545, with being between both decks of rooms 4 & 6 might be quieter than over the Amphora, we will see. Good to know about the porthole suite.

I have never cruised with Windstar before I am looking forward to smaller ship experience, hopefully excursions will be available when I am on board since Windstar gave us 1200.00 on board credit due to cancellation.  I usually book before I go on Cruise.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, arebaj said:

I have never cruised with Windstar before I am looking forward to smaller ship experience, hopefully excursions will be available when I am on board since Windstar gave us 1200.00 on board credit due to cancellation.  I usually book before I go on Cruise.

So, they really took care of you!  I have been on many WS cruises and there have always been excursions available.  Have a great cruise.

Edited by 6rugrats

Posted (edited)

That sounds like a decent  credit, $600 each?

Can it be used on drinks, gratuities?

Approximately how much out of pocket were you to begin with after your Tahiti cruise was cancelled?

And do you feel “taken care of”

Thanks in advance

Edited by Nearpost345