Luggage

LewLewBelle

carnival website has this information:

To help you plan, we suggest you limit your luggage to a maximum of one bag per person, if traveling on cruises of 3-5 days duration, and no more than two bags per person, for cruises of 6 days or longer.

https://www.carnival.com/help#collapseOne-0-3

Edited by shof515

37 minutes ago, LewLewBelle said:

Since Covid we haven’t cruised 😞  A friend is leaving in 11 day for first cruise.  How many suitcases are you allowed to bring onboard?  I told her we had 6-8 for family of 5 plus carryons.   Has a limit been set ?

If you brought on 6-8 for 5 people and added 5 more carrys you packed way to much.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6-8 bags PLUS carryons for 5 people?!?!? Are you packing your whole house? I PROMISE you won't need that much stuff for a cruise, and you'll regret having to drag that all around and/or track it down on embark/debark. You also won't have enough space in your cabin to store that many bags.

Max, I would stick with 1 carryon sized bag and one backpack per person, or 1 large suitcase per person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LewLewBelle said:

Since Covid we haven’t cruised 😞  A friend is leaving in 11 day for first cruise.  How many suitcases are you allowed to bring onboard?  I told her we had 6-8 for family of 5 plus carryons.   Has a limit been set ?

No change since pre-COVID.   You are fine bringing what you did before.   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

No change since pre-COVID.   You are fine bringing what you did before.   

Sure that's fine as Carnival doesn't enforce policy/suggestions they make.

But 11-13 bags for 5 people is crazy and goes  against what Carnival suggests or wants.

1 hour ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

But 11-13 bags for 5 people is crazy and goes  against what Carnival suggests or wants.

If the OP asked for judgements about how much luggage they take, I missed it.  

The OP's question was if there were new baggage restrictions.  I answered that question.  There are not.   There is no luggage count "policy" to enforce, only a suggestion which is clearly intended to assist with traveler planning.  I seriously doubt anyone at Carnival is worrying about some family bringing an average of 2.5 bags/person on board (about half of would be small or backpacks).  

BTW, are you proposing all "suggestions" and "guidelines" should be strictly enforced the same as mandatory policies?  Or, just the ones you like?  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

If the OP asked for judgements about how much luggage they take, I missed it.  

The OP's question was if there were new baggage restrictions.  I answered that question.  There are not.   There is no luggage count "policy" to enforce, only a suggestion which is clearly intended to assist with traveler planning.  I seriously doubt anyone at Carnival is worrying about some family bringing an average of 2.5 bags/person on board (about half of would be small or backpacks).  

BTW, are you proposing all "suggestions" and "guidelines" should be strictly enforced the same as mandatory policies?  Or, just the ones you like?  

Darn, no matter how many times I slammed the 'LIKE' button on this comment, it would only register once.😄  I wish I could 'like' it a hundred times plus a 'THANK YOU!' thrown in on top.

The posts of those expressing their opinions about what too much luggage is and implying that a suggestion should be enforce were really getting to me.

Thank you for saying much of what I was going to say in a clearer and more concise manner than I would have used!

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

If you brought on 6-8 for 5 people and added 5 more carrys you packed way to much.

That's your opinion.  But thankfully, for those of us who apparently pack more than you, your opinion has absolutely no bearing on what we pack, how much we pack, and how many cases we are allowed to and will bring onboard.

8 hours ago, Mic101680 said:

6-8 bags PLUS carryons for 5 people?!?!? Are you packing your whole house? I PROMISE you won't need that much stuff for a cruise, and you'll regret having to drag that all around and/or track it down on embark/debark. You also won't have enough space in your cabin to store that many bags.

Max, I would stick with 1 carryon sized bag and one backpack per person, or 1 large suitcase per person.

See above.  Also, you can't PROMISE anything about what someone else may need on their vacation, unless you want to get into semantics about the word need.  We don't really need a cruise or any thing we take on a cruise.  But I'll take the risk of assuming you weren't going to take that ridiculous tack, but rather, meant that the OP would not end up using "that much stuff" on their cruise.  And to this I say, you can't know this, let alone promise it.  Nor can you tell them what they will regret.  We are all different, with different feelings, priorities, preferences, and opinions.  I, for example, am sure I would regret not bringing most of what I bring on a regular basis, if I were to adopt the light packing style that you and others here recommend.

Also, there is plenty of room for that many suitcases in the cabins.  Here I go assuming again, but I doubt that the whole family of five is staying in one cabin.  I know from much personal experience that nine suitcases (four of which were carry-on size and nested inside the large cases) can fit perfectly well under a Carnival king sized bed.

7 hours ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

A suggestion, by its very nature, is not enforced.  If it were, it wouldn't be called a suggestion.  Conflation of policy and suggestion does not lend any credence to your point.  

Who are you or any of us to say how much is too much or too little for someone else to pack?

Finally, to insult someone for how much they pack for their vacation is repugnant.   

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Darn, no matter how many times I slammed the 'LIKE' button on this comment, it would only register once.😄  I wish I could 'like' it a hundred times plus a 'THANK YOU!' thrown in on top.

The posts of those expressing their opinions about what too much luggage is and implying that a suggestion should be enforce were really getting to me.

Thank you for saying much of what I was going to say in a clearer and more concise manner than I would have used!

Anyone should feel free to voice their preference.  People should feel free to have a conversation.   I think the word "attack" is too strong, but when it becomes like that, or when someone says their preference must be adhered to, then it has gone too far.   A fine line that I've crossed a few times.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Don't let others opinions get to you.  Some people just like to be key board warriors and judge others from behind a screen.  Do as you like and enjoy your life the way you want.  Any one who gets kicks out of calling someone crazy because they may over pack that says more about them then it does about you.  I'm the type that usually needs an extra bag just for shoes and will probably have 2 smaller suitcases and a back pack.  My mom over packs as well.  Hopefully she will limit it to but I doubt she will.

• Like 2

Just now, ldubs said:

Anyone should feel free to voice their preference.  People should feel free to have a conversation.   I think the word "attack" is too strong, but when it becomes like that, or when someone says their preference must be adhered to, then it has gone too far.   A fine line that I've crossed a few times.  

I hear ya and I appreciate that.  I, too, have gotten fired up on these boards before (as maybe I am a bit, here).  I don't think anyone was "attacking" here, but definitely passing uncalled for and rude judgments on others' packing styles when a simple question about luggage allowances was asked.  Opinions will always be given here, and are not uncalled for, and can even be helpful.  But for some to speak as if their way of doing a thing is the only sane way of doing it (and to insult the OP in the process) is just so irritating to me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I hear ya and I appreciate that.  I, too, have gotten fired up on these boards before (as maybe I am a bit, here).  I don't think anyone was "attacking" here, but definitely passing uncalled for and rude judgments on others' packing styles when a simple question about luggage allowances was asked.  Opinions will always be given here, and are not uncalled for, and can even be helpful.  But for some to speak as if their way of doing a thing is the only sane way of doing it (and to insult the OP in the process) is just so irritating to me. 

Agreed.  Some of these posters could have given advise in a much nicer way.  For example saying that the OP was "crazy" for bringing that much could have been said much nicer.  For example: I honestly don't think packing that much is necessary and you probably won't need that much.  But Carnival has no official policy. 

Everyone has the right to state their opinions but should do it with respect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1girl3boys said:

Don't let others opinions get to you.  Some people just like to be key board warriors and judge others from behind a screen.  Do as you like and enjoy your life the way you want.  Any one who gets kicks out of calling someone crazy because they may over pack that says more about them then it does about you.  I'm the type that usually needs an extra bag just for shoes and will probably have 2 smaller suitcases and a back pack.  My mom over packs as well.  Hopefully she will limit it to but I doubt she will.

Thank you.  It gets to me to see the judgment coming from people that seem to feel superior for packing less.  But their opinions will never change how I choose to do my vacation. 

The OP has been a member on CC since 2008, longer than most of us.  They are not a first time cruiser looking for opinions on how much they pack.  They asked a simple question about how much was allowed.  And when they mentioned how much they pack, a few people thought it was appropriate to denigrate them for it.

Although I fit what seems to be the common definition of an "overpacker," I don't consider it overpacking.  I use almost everything I bring, don't ever regret bringing any of it, have plenty of space in my cabin for my luggage, am not breaking any rules in so doing, don't affect anybody else's cruise experience with my amount of luggage, and am happy to do it my way.  Also, I pack considerably more 20-some cruises later than I did on my first cruise.😁

BTW, you are braver than I packing a whole suitcase of shoes.  I spread my several pairs (usually about 13 for a 7-day cruise) over a few suitcases, with my favourites in my carry-on.  If one suitcase were to go missing, and it be my suitcase full of shoes, I'd be devastated.😱🤣

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1girl3boys said:

Agreed.  Some of these posters could have given advise in a much nicer way.  For example saying that the OP was "crazy" for bringing that much could have been said much nicer.  For example: I honestly don't think packing that much is necessary and you probably won't need that much.  But Carnival has no official policy. 

Everyone has the right to state their opinions but should do it with respect.

It isn't like the OP is new.  They have experience packing for previous cruises.  They just wanted to know if the baggage rules have changed.  

• Like 2

We have 1 suitcase per person on a 7-day cruise. Another suitcase for snorkel gear because it is bulky and heavy. If it wasn't for cruise ducks, wife wanting formal night, and things like that, I could get everything in 1 suitcase. I only need 4-5 shirts, 2-3 shorts, 2 bathing suits, and 2 pairs of shoes.

The only thing that will cause a person to pack less is exhaustion and frustration in dragging all that luggage through the airport or to the ship.  That sealed it for me, even though my luggage was a medium suitcase, a carryon size, and a backpack.  This was for a 27 day B2B San Diego to Harwich, two days London, four day cruise on Cunard, three days in Venice before 12 day cruise, then fly home.  Now it’s a carryon and a backpack no matter how long the journey.  
   But then, if one is driving to the port, the limit is what you can fit in the vehicle.  EM

• Like 1

Bring it all!  We bring a ton of stuff and never had an issue, a bag for snorkle gear, a bag for shoes, a bag for bathroom stuff and and just in case stuff, bag for hair products etc. A bag for hanging dinner clothes and then everyone gets a bag for their stuff for the week.  The ship doesn't care about the weight.  They add water to the ship for stabilization.  Bring it!  Be happy!  

• Haha 1

We take 2 suitcases, a rolling garment bag for our nicer stuff and our carry-ons. While it might seem like a lot for some people, I know there's a very good chance I'll either want to change after a sweaty port day, or I'll have spilled something on me. Yes, I could buy another shirt, but I don't want to. So I take enough just in case. There's only one vacation I've been on where I overestimated (not a cruise actually), so take what you need.  

I am what many call an overpacker. I admit it.

But I can also justify it. I like to be prepared for all occasions, and that includes dress. As a Florida native, I know I will need a hoodie (or two) and maybe even a light jacket if I go on deck at night, yes in the Caribbean, because it's cold to me. That takes up space. I don't hand wash, I don't want to. I typically have day and evening wear, and while it's not a suit, it's usually a collared shirt (T during day) and another pair of shorts or linen pants. I also bring a couple pairs of shoes. I hate wet shoes and feet and I have been caught in the rain more than I can count. Why I keep spare shoes in my car. It's rains in the tropics, alot.

So, I will pack what I want and makes me comfortable. Knowing I am prepared for anything makes me comfortable and my psychiatrist says thats ok.....  J/K LOL

If you want to judge overpackers, that's fine, but remember, we're the ones who'll have whatever you need in an emergency.

• Like 4

Thank you for all the replies…. We don’t all stay in one cabin and our shoes alone takes up one of the suitcases.   So each person has a suitcase with clothes, a garmet bag, toiletries bag( carryon) plus our sons have backpacks.   The first cruise YES I had way more than we needed but 10 cruises or so later I’ve learned what to take and what not.  Although my family teases me about the amount of shoes lol

i will let my friend know the policy hasn’t changed.  🙂 

Edited by LewLewBelle
  • Like 3