In-transit passengers skipping repeat lifeboat drill?

Dr.Dobro

We will be on the Zuiderdam for four consecutive segments from May 12 to July 22, with all three turn-arounds in Rotterdam.

I know that in-transit passengers are sometimes exempt from lifeboat drills, depending on how long it has been since their last drill. Can anyone comment on what the exact requirements might be, or is this a ship-by-ship decision? If we don't have to be back for a drill, we'd rather spend time ashore.

Our itinerary:
May 12, Ft. Lauderdale-Rotterdam, 16 days
May 28, Rotterdam-British Isles-Rotterdam, 14 days
June 11, Rotterdan-Iceland-Rotterdam, 21 days
July 2, Rotterdam-Boston, 20 days

Thanks!

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

The legal requirement is that passengers must participate in one drill every 30 days. Whether the ship requires more often then that is at the Captain's discretion. 

That is what we have experienced on our longer cruises.

• Like 1

Emergency drill has changed to watching the video in your cabin and going to your assembly station to check in with a crew member who will scan your card. Sometimes they do a little talk. Other times they just scan the card. On my cruise last month, the drill was from 1:00-3:00. All aboard was 2:30 (for a 3:00 departure), so even someone on a B2B would be back on board before the check-in time ended. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our two month long Westerdam cruise last fall, after 30 days, we had to participate in the new style muster drill for a second time (first time was embarkation in Seattle).  It was no big deal and we really like the new muster drill process.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Quo Vadis? said:

We cruised on Nieuw Statendam for 8 weeks and only had to show up once.

Watch the Video in your cabin, go to your muster station to be logged on boarding day and you are all set.

I don't think this posted above by @Quo Vadis? is following the law.  See @chengkp75 post #4 regarding the minimum laws.  I have always had to do a muster at least every 30 days on any ship.

~Nancy

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dr.Dobro said:

We will be on the Zuiderdam for four consecutive segments from May 12 to July 22, with all three turn-arounds in Rotterdam.

I know that in-transit passengers are sometimes exempt from lifeboat drills, depending on how long it has been since their last drill. Can anyone comment on what the exact requirements might be, or is this a ship-by-ship decision? If we don't have to be back for a drill, we'd rather spend time ashore.

Our itinerary:
May 12, Ft. Lauderdale-Rotterdam, 16 days
May 28, Rotterdam-British Isles-Rotterdam, 14 days
June 11, Rotterdan-Iceland-Rotterdam, 21 days
July 2, Rotterdam-Boston, 20 days

Thanks!

I'm on the Zuiderdam now for the world cruise and we have to "attend" the drills after each segment. I am sure we will have to for each of the segments you mention (I am staying on till July 22).

However, the process is simplified. You have to go to your lifeboat station within a 2-hour wiindow to have your key scanned. Then you have to play the safety video on the cabin TV. Your TV will not play anything else until you have played it. Ideally, you would watch it, but you can just leave it running...

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

I don't think this posted above by @Quo Vadis? is following the law.  See @chengkp75 post #4 regarding the minimum laws.  I have always had to do a muster at least every 30 days on any ship.

~Nancy

8 weeks is less than 60 days. So one drill when boarding, and one drill around 30 days. That would meet the requirement.

19 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

8 weeks is less than 60 days. So one drill when boarding, and one drill around 30 days. That would meet the requirement.

True, maybe I misinterpreted when they said they had to "only show up once".  I thought they meant the "once" was on day one of the cruise.  Maybe they meant once beside the first day?.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:29 AM, Quo Vadis? said:

We cruised on Nieuw Statendam for 8 weeks and only had to show up once

~Nancy