HUGE Price Increase on Premium Internet Plan

Roz

8 hours ago, Laminator said:

No promo code. I have no clue who they figured out. That was the price given on the site. My Alaska cruise coming up in May was charged at $50 per day. My last Caribbean cruise and this upcoming Caribbean cruise reflected a lower cost per day.

You did well. I haven't seen anything below $50 per day. When my TA priced out cruises, the difference between advantage fare (refundable deposit but no extras) and HIA, the difference was $50 per day. The nice thing was, although the cruise fare was double for a solo, the price for HIA, either as the cruise fare or an add-on was only for one.

• Like 2

Well, yesterday I begrudgingly purchased the premium internet plan at the increased cost.  I'm not happy about it, but I need it.  I'll let HAL know of my unhappiness on the post-cruise survey, just for my own personal satisfaction.

@Laminator and @kazu, thank you for the excellent explanation of HIA for solos.  I had no idea it was available.  I assumed I would have to pay double.  

• Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 4:55 AM, Roz said:

I'm considering purchasing a premium internet plan for my upcoming 31-day South American cruise.  The premium internet plan was $287.99 yesterday and today it's $351.99.  What's up with that???  HAL is really ticking me off.

Yes, I've just been caught out by that.  My cruise is not until October.   When I first booked, just before Christmas, the Premium plan was around $314 for 34 days.  Today I was just thinking that maybe I should get it now in case the price goes up!!  So online I went, only to discover it is now $396!!  Adding to my misery is that it becomes $590 in AU$!!  😥  I then also noticed that previously there were 3 plans - Social, Surf and Premium.  Now the Social has gone, and there are only 2!  I am really hoping that these changes are because the Wifi has been upgraded!  🤞

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 3:42 PM, oaktreerb said:

HAL is really pushing the Have it All pricing which includes the Surf package.  The early booking HIA for our Alaska 2024 cruise included the Premium internet package.  I may be glad I went with the HIA on that cruise!

We also got the premium drinks and Wi-Fi early booking HIA promo for our 2024 Volendam cruise, as well as the prepaid gratuities. It turned out to be a really good overall good deal for us, only $55pp more per day than without the HIA promo.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

This was posted last summer, and AFAIK, it was correct until the recent price hike. I just looked at my reservation for 21 days, and the pre-purchase price premium plan is 291.99 I don't know what it was a week ago.

If anyone currently on board is following this thread, please let us know if onboard prices for social and surf have gone up. 

971214831_2019Internetpackages1device-prices.png.0b1f84283e0155ff5c473c1ab2b959f5.png

2 minutes ago, Nodakboiler said:

The prices have gone up- the pre board premium cost for 31 days is now $352.99

Are you booked with HIA promo? If not maybe you should look at what it would cost now and compare with all that HIA includes. 

Not a surprise that HAL is firming up their cruise fare while cutting costs; and increasing onboard prices. I expect even more quality reductions and price increases; as long as people keep sailing with them.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nodakboiler said:

The prices have gone up- the pre board premium cost for 31 days is now $352.99

Quick napkin math shows this is a 7% increase, just under US$12 / day. That tracks to inflation for 2021.

If HAL has upgraded to Starlink, then the value may be worth it. I would have no problem paying $12/day to be able to get some work done or FaceTime with fam.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robotpony said:

Quick napkin math shows this is a 7% increase, just under US$12 / day. That tracks to inflation for 2021.

If HAL has upgraded to Starlink, then the value may be worth it. I would have no problem paying $12/day to be able to get some work done or FaceTime with fam.

And that's the big question. If it was decent that would be different. I couldn't even get into my bank account on the koningsdam.  I also couldn't check in for my flight on westjet.  That is ridiculous to me.

• Like 2

We're on Oosterdam, 17 nights March 24, and I just made some purchases.

Laundry package $144 = 8.50/night, although practically you can't start laundry in the last 2 or 3 days. There are three of us, so I'm sure this will be cost-effective.

The Internet packages were listed at Surf = $15/day and Premium = $20 per day, but only on the general info page.  On the Packages purchase page, there was only Premium for $252 = $14.82 / night. So that's a discount, and I hope service will be OK. At any rate, this will be my first experience with "unlimited" service -- not per minute, and that will really relieve a lot of stress.

The cheapest 8-bottle wine package, Sommelier Suite Cellar No. 1 was $258 -- $32 per bottle, and the ones I'm familiar with are supermarket wines under $15 per bottle. I don't imagine there will be many available at less than that.

We're not big drinkers, so HIA doesn't make sense for us. Didn't I see a nearly-all-inclusive deal on another line that could be purchased with or without alcohol?

On my Manage Booking page, it offers the HIA upgrade for $50/pp/day, but if I click on it it says "sorry, your booking is not eligible." I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but I wonder why.

Edited by isisdave

3 minutes ago, isisdave said:

Laundry package $144 = 8.50/night, although practically you can't start laundry in the last 2 or 3 days. There are three of us, so I'm sure this will be cost-effective.

The Internet packages were listed at Surf = $15/day and Premium = $20 per day, but only on the general info page.  On the Packages purchase page, there was only Premium for $252 = $14.82 / night. So that's a discount, and I hope service will be OK. At any rate, this will be my first experience with "unlimited" service -- not per minute, and that will really relieve a lot of stress.

The cheapest 8-bottle wine package, Sommelier Suite Cellar No. 1 was $258 -- $32 per bottle, and the ones I'm familiar with are supermarket wines under $15 per bottle. I don't imagine there will be many available at less than that.

We're not big drinkers, so HIA doesn't make sense for us. Didn't I see a nearly-all-inclusive deal on another line that could be purchased with or without alcohol?

We recently booked a Volendam cruise for next year and we got the early booking,  Premium drinks, Wi-Fi and tips with the HIA promo for only $55pp per day more than the cruise only price. We added it all up and if bought separately, it would cost us over $120pp per day.

45 minutes ago, isisdave said:

On my Manage Booking page, it offers the HIA upgrade for $50/pp/day, but if I click on it it says "sorry, your booking is not eligible." I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but I wonder why.

They do say they will limit HIA, so maybe they've sold enough that they wouldn't be able to honor any more specialty meals.

Please report back after your cruise (or on it if the internet is good 😀) and let us know what the onboard price is for social and surf packages.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

42 minutes ago, isisdave said:

The cheapest 8-bottle wine package, Sommelier Suite Cellar No. 1 was $258 -- $32 per bottle,

We always buy package #1...the cheapest package and on our last couple of cruises, they did not have a few of the package #1 wines and they end up giving you a bottle from package 2 and even 3.   And once you know what they are out of and what they substitute, it's a nice upgrade. LOL. 

On 3/1/2023 at 6:31 PM, ldtr said:

Why does the person get the same loaf of bread at a higher price today as the person that brought it for a lower price a month ago.

Usually the price is not locked in until you have purchased it.  

As with most things prices go up.  Princess raised their internet prices a couple of weeks ago.  The other cruise are also raising charges for on board items.

The actual problem (besides just simply being upset by generally increasing prices these days across the globe on everything which I so obviously predicted in March 2020 - "to break is not to build") is a business applies a new price on an item (Wi-Fi, beverage package, whatever else) being associated with a purchase completed prior to that increase (and a fine print states that it could occur at any time which is "fine" meaning one agrees to that when paying for an original product like a booked cruise); however, the same fine print dictates that there will be a prorated scheduled penalty up to 100% if a cruise is cancelled after the final payment date (and sometimes even sooner by losing a part of the entire deposit depending on a cruise line).  So, you booked a cruise, paid the balance on the final payment date; then a week prior to your cruise a cruise line increased a price for whatever, and you cannot cancel your cruise without a penalty if you don't want to accept this price increase on that whatever additional item(s).  So, they can do whatever they want, but you cannot do anything at that point.

Thee same is true not only in regard a price increase.  For example, I booked a Seabourne Venture March 17, 2023 Amazon river from Rio de Janeiro to Manaus cruise 3.5 years ago (yes, in June 2019!!!), and just 3 weeks ago we received an email from the cruise line stating that we must complete the yellow fever vaccine (when we booked this cruise, I verified 4 (!) times within a few months since we booked it that that vaccine was not required for our cruise), and cancellation due to this new requirement of this cruise was allowed to me without losing the entire paid cruise.

On 3/5/2023 at 10:27 AM, HappyInVan said:

Not a surprise that HAL is firming up their cruise fare while cutting costs; and increasing onboard prices. I expect even more quality reductions and price increases; as long as people keep sailing with them.

Very sad commentary which we fear is true!  Fortunately, there are plenty of other cruise lines and not all are following HAL's lead with massive cut-backs, increased nickel and diming, etc.  

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We recently booked a Volendam cruise for next year and we got the early booking,  Premium drinks, Wi-Fi and tips with the HIA promo for only $55pp per day more than the cruise only price. We added it all up and if bought separately, it would cost us over $120pp per day.

Shopping around the HAL site is critical. As posted previously I paid $382 for the HIA package for my 9 day upcoming Rotterdam cruise in Nov. The SBP alone is showing $477.36. On my 7 day cruise last month on the NS I could have upgraded to the premium internet package on embarkation day for $40. 

image.png.615e8548dbc23323449d8de696d1e8e5.png

Edited by Laminator

50 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Very sad commentary which we fear is true!  Fortunately, there are plenty of other cruise lines and not all are following HAL's lead with massive cut-backs, increased nickel and diming, etc.  

I think you should look at all the cutbacks and extra charges, like room service, that Celebrity has instigated this year. Celebrity has dramatically raised prices on future cruises, increased specialty dinning costs, cut back to 3 or 4 entrees in MDR, charges for second extra lobster tail. They raised their drink package by $20-$30pp per day, $89pp pd for standard classic and $109pp pd for premium plus 18% gratuity on both.  IMO Celebrity is the leader now in cutbacks and nickel and diming in mainstream cruise lines.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I think you should look at all the cutbacks and extra charges, like room service, that Celebrity has instigated this year. IMO Celebrity is the leader now in cutbacks and nickel and diming in mainstream cruise lines.

I agree regarding Celebrity.  We stopped cruising that line, about 5 years ago, because of their constant cut-backs (I called it "death by a thousand cut-backs) and they certainly rival or beat HAL when it comes to nickel and diming.  That is one reason I mentioned the lines we have recently cruised.  Celebrity, RCI and HAL are not in any of our future plans (once we take our upcoming Westy cruise which was booked years ago).  Whether we book anymore HAL cruises will depend on how it goes with our upcoming 42 day cruise.   Reading negative and positive posts here on CC is helpful, but the ultimate proof only comes from being on a cruise.

Hank

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I agree regarding Celebrity.  We stopped cruising that line, about 5 years ago, because of their constant cut-backs (I called it "death by a thousand cut-backs) and they certainly rival or beat HAL when it comes to nickel and diming.  That is one reason I mentioned the lines we have recently cruised.  Celebrity, RCI and HAL are not in any of our future plans (once we take our upcoming Westy cruise which was booked years ago).  Whether we book anymore HAL cruises will depend on how it goes with our upcoming 42 day cruise.   Reading negative and positive posts here on CC is helpful, but the ultimate proof only comes from being on a cruise.

Hank

The Celebrity cutbacks in lower classes of cabins are one of the reasons we now only book Sky Suites with them, almost everything including better dinning is included. Why anyone would now book anything less than Aqua class astounds me. Other lines, including HAL, beats their pricing and what is included. We booked the Volendam for our 2024 NE/Canada cruise in a Vista suite. We also got the early booking HIA promo with the premium drinks, Wi-Fi and paid gratuities for 1/2 what Celebrity and Oceania would have cost plus HAL by far had the better itinerary. We can eat in the specialty restaurants every night and still be way ahead of what Oceania and Celebrity would have cost.

Edited by terrydtx

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

The Celebrity cutbacks in lower classes of cabins are one of the reasons we now only book Sky Suites with them, almost everything including better dinning is included. Why anyone would now book anything less than Aqua class astounds me. Other lines, including HAL, beats their pricing and what is included.

I know this is not the X forum but I will respond.  Booking a Sky Suite (which gets folks the Retreat perks) can cost $700+ per passenger day!  I have posted about this on the Celebrity blog.  Bottom line is that we can cruise on Seabourn, Explora Journeys, and some other luxury lines for far less than a mere Sky Suite on Celebrity.  In fact, we are now looking at a future Seabourn cruise (over 30 days long) that would cost us about $400 per person/day.  Celebrity, in its best day, is no Seabourn!

Hank

• Like 4

From a Big Picture perspective, I think we got overly used to things being artificially cheap. For many years, big business has been able to keep labor costs down and negotiate discounts on supplies, materials and shipping. There is no way this was sustainable, but "Pandemicland" broke everything very suddenly. Kaboom! 

Now businesses are struggling with an extremely tight labor pool, supply chain issues and 1970s inflation. As mentioned earlier, cruise lines experienced an extreme and sudden halt to all revenue. Meanwhile, the meter was running. So they had to borrow big time to stay afloat (pun intended).

I doubt cruise lines were "raking in cash" over the past decade. Likely they were pouring over spreadsheets noon and night trying to squeeze out more profit without ticking off passengers. Now they simply accept passengers will be ticked off, but they gotta do what's necessary to stay profitable. 

Q: How do you make a million dollars in the cruise business?
A: Spend two million. 

The price increases are across the board for all the lines (or so it seems).  We are sailing to Alaska on RCL Quantum OTS in June.  The prices are up and down on the Royal website but are not down to what they were some months ago.  My issue is when the price goes up and there is no added benefit.  The Wifi costs should be fixed if they have not installed the new Starlink systems otherwise you are being gouged for bad/slow internet service.

We are HAL newbies and I keep looking at the website for discounts on the add-on stuff.  The Thermal Suite has been fixed at $149 and has not moved for 5-6 months. No black-Friday deal, no Presidents Day sale, nothing.  The price of the Veranda Cabins are up about $1,000 since we booked. We are sailing to Norway and I booked independently for some excursions.  The RIB boat tour was $175/pp on HAL and only $53/pp thru the local operator (and looks like the same trip).

I am grateful that we got in on the "Best Sale Ever" deal when we booked and got pre-paid gratuities, wifi, drinks package, $100 OBC, $100/pp excursion credit, specialty dining and more. 

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I think you should look at all the cutbacks and extra charges, like room service, that Celebrity has instigated this year. Celebrity has dramatically raised prices on future cruises, increased specialty dinning costs, cut back to 3 or 4 entrees in MDR, charges for second extra lobster tail. They raised their drink package by $20-$30pp per day, $89pp pd for standard classic and $109pp pd for premium plus 18% gratuity on both.  IMO Celebrity is the leader now in cutbacks and nickel and diming in mainstream cruise lines.

$89pp, are they looking for alcoholics that pass out in the hallways?  "That's a good deal honey, I am going to spend $120 per day on booze anyways!"

I've had a few complaints about my last X sailing, and it was met with pitchforks from a mob of cheerleaders.  Celebrity is advertising itself as a premium line, but recent reviews focus on cuts and price increases.  One recent review claimed they had no vegetables, which matches our last experience in Blu.  I quickly feel malnourished if all I am eating are proteins and starch.

I had to fight for it, but I did pick up a future cruise credit for Azamara while onboard.  We're considering going around the South American horn next.  Azamara charges the same price as HAL.  When the ultra premium market makes sense, we're in.