Everyone loves the Indian food. Why not have an Indian food speciality restaurant?

7 minutes ago, Longford said:

Similarly, people who say they don't like Mexican food:  don't know that there are regional variations of that food group.  It's a lack of experience / education that results in the "hate" comments, IMO.

Or, people could have tried several dishes, variations and said "not for me!" To assume otherwise is pretty rude.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Bit of a sweeping generalization in the title.

And the type of cooking lends itself to not being as well suited to being upcharged.

Agreed. But it did get me to open this thread. I read the title and said to myself ; "Well I don't love Indian food!" Mrs. Dawg likes Indian food but I don't. She also likes Moroccan food but I don't. Not everyone has to like or dislike the same things. How boring would that be?

If Royal opened an Indian specialty restaurant good for them. Mrs. Dawg would go, I would not unless they served something else, other than Indian food. This would be just like when we go to a seafood restaurant. I love seafood and shellfish, Mrs. Dawg will only go if they also serve chicken or something else that's not seafood.  I just hope my fellow restaurant patrons don't think badly of me by my ordering something non Indian in the Indian restaurant. (and, of course whine incessantly about my affront here on CC) 😉 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do wonder what specifically it is about Indian food all the naysayers don’t like? 

not all Indian food is spicy, is it the “sauciness” of the dishes? The variety of spices? - many dishes have different blends of spices. 

There are plenty of high end Indian restaurants around the world, especially here in the UK and they would suit a specialty type upcharge just fine… even more so than the menus I see at Italian restaurants - Pizza and Pasta are two of the cheapest things to make. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greener123 said:

I do wonder what specifically it is about Indian food all the naysayers don’t like? 

not all Indian food is spicy, is it the “sauciness” of the dishes? The variety of spices? - many dishes have different blends of spices. 

It disagrees with my system. And as mentioned earlier, the smell. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChC said:

Maybe because often the Indian dish was the only main course choice for vegetarian? Like Tofu often is the only viable choice on selected night? 

No because there was a separate vegan menu. Which apparently wasn't at all popular since they got rid of it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, iuki said:

Nothing wrong with Taco Bell. 😁

And I just read an article that Taco Bell was one of the healthiest fast food restaurants.  So laugh if they want to, I like it, just can't eat it because the carbs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

And I just read an article that Taco Bell was one of the healthiest fast food restaurants.  So laugh if they want to, I like it, just can't eat it because the carbs.

That depends ... on customers customizing the orders.

" ... it’s largely up to the customer to customize smart choices, like ordering vegetarian or vegan options, or calorie-cutting with their ‘Fresco’ option to remove cheese, rice, sour cream, and add in pico de gallo."

Read the article in its entirety:

Taco Bell Is Officially One of the Healthiest Fast Food Chains (tasteofhome.com)

On 3/2/2023 at 6:02 AM, livingonthebeach said:

Although it is not my favorite cuisine, the taste of Indian food is actually not all that bad in my book.  However, the only times I've gotten really sick (food poisoning I suppose) was twice in my life and both times were after eating  at an Indian restaurant (different ones, different cities). I got what they call the Delhi belly and boy did I suffer! I don't think I would pay $40-$50 for a repeat toilet hugging experience. Maybe my digestive system just can't handle it.....YMMV

Normally the Delhi Belly comes from visiting India, I guess have a few things over there that our western immune system use to. 

• Like 1

I know it’s not everyone loves Indian. However I said they same thing multiple times, it would be a nice change from just the Asian and Mexican food. Plus so many of restaurant staff is Indian, they would make it just like back home! 
I know it’s normal on the buffet but it would be great to have it as a specialty restaurant. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Greener123 said:

Haven’t come across an entire cuisine I don’t like, so can’t comment. 

Blanket statements are nonsense if you don’t explain in more detail. 

You need to get out more and try more types of foods. 😁

And I agree that blanket statements like; "Everyone loves the Indian food" are nonsense. 😉

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 1:46 AM, Denversail said:

Everyone loves the Indian food. Why not have an Indian food speciality restaurant?

Indian food is constantly given an A+ in reviews. Why not add it as an up charge restaurant?

Fortunately we are not everyone. We do not like the Indian food at all, served at WJ. 

I even go so far to suggest getting rid of the daily Indian food station in favor of either

- an all American BBQ station, or

- typical country-specific food selection, representing the port of visit (country)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Longford said:

That depends ... on customers customizing the orders.

" ... it’s largely up to the customer to customize smart choices, like ordering vegetarian or vegan options, or calorie-cutting with their ‘Fresco’ option to remove cheese, rice, sour cream, and add in pico de gallo."

Read the article in its entirety:

Taco Bell Is Officially One of the Healthiest Fast Food Chains (tasteofhome.com)

I find that the best way to get a good healthy meal at Taco Bell is to not open the front door of a Taco Bell. 😉 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/1/2023 at 7:46 PM, Denversail said:

Indian food is constantly given an A+ in reviews. Why not add it as an up charge restaurant?

I've been wondering that for years. P&O has what looks like amazing Indian restaurants but so far, no mainstream U.S. based cruiseline has introduced an Indian restaurant. Celebrity does a specialty Indian dinner on their ships for longer itineraries. But that's just converting one of their restaurants for one night. I would totally welcome a true Indian restaurant onboard. 

• Like 1

Obviously food is very subjective.

DH loves curries; I don’t care for the taste. There are two Indian dishes I like—butter chicken and the saucy chickpeas. Mostly it’s the heat/hot spices I can’t do. 

If he wants lamb curry, it’s has to be on a night when I won’t be home for dinner, or I agree to Thai food (he loves panang curry with chicken—hold the veg!). 

I’m a no on an Indian specialty restaurant. 

8 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Fortunately we are not everyone. We do not like the Indian food at all, served at WJ. 

I even go so far to suggest getting rid of the daily Indian food station in favor of either

- an all American BBQ station, or

- typical country-specific food selection, representing the port of visit (country)

Yes, it's all about individual preferences.  With thousands of passengers on board to satisfy, the choices are understandably difficult for food and beverage kitchen staff.  I liked the WJ Indian selections on Serenade in November 2022 ... because I think they were healthier and better tasting than what the gluttons fed on at other stations. 🐖

Though I'd pay extra for the opportunity to dine in an Indian-themed restaurant onboard, I'm assuming cruise line management minds smarter than mine have considered that and chosen not to ... for business reasons. 

But, yes, it would also be good if one particular restaurant on all itineraries could / would change its menu entirely to feature cuisine of one of the countries or ports of call. 

As cruise passenger demographics tend younger, if that happens, or the younger folks become older and more tolerant ... Indian food will / could become even more popular than it is now.

7 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

I've been wondering that for years. P&O has what looks like amazing Indian restaurants but so far, no mainstream U.S. based cruiseline has introduced an Indian restaurant. Celebrity does a specialty Indian dinner on their ships for longer itineraries. But that's just converting one of their restaurants for one night. I would totally welcome a true Indian restaurant onboard. 

It is popular on P & O because Britons enjoy Indian food. I am not making a generalization. It is extremely popular -take away curries are very common.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cashsmoney said:

I know it’s not everyone loves Indian. However I said they same thing multiple times, it would be a nice change from just the Asian and Mexican food. Plus so many of restaurant staff is Indian, they would make it just like back home! 
I know it’s normal on the buffet but it would be great to have it as a specialty restaurant. 

I think the same thing on a cruise or at a resort. Steakhouse, Mexican, Italian, Asian. But what else is there? French? I would like that, not sure how many others would.