Solstice Mexican Riviera March 4th-11th...Finally...let the saga...ahem, I mean live review begin!

Georgia_Peaches

I was on the ship a month ago - I like your itinerary better, but our choice (San Diego not Puerta Vallarta) was based on the day we could go.

If you get there, there's a company called Vallarta food tours that's great.  Their tours are in the morning.   

Best of luck. I'm looking forward to reading this.  

Edited by abbydancer

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well guys, the flight has been officially cancelled.  No flight crew available until 11 AM tomorrow.  If we are lucky enough to catch this flight, it will be touch and go as to whether or not we will make embarkation.

I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you! We did this itinerary on the Solstice in January and really enjoyed it. Hoping you get to as well.

Update:  I'd like to change the title of this thread from Saga to Odyssey!  

It's 5:10 AM est as I type this and much has happened since my last post.  Still on the east coast at Hartsfield-Jackson...here's what's gone down: 

At 11pm AA decided that there was no way they were going to be able to get a pilot to fly our plane.  The flight hasn't been cancelled, however...just severely delayed.  So being told that we could get on the very next flight (same plane) at 11 am today, arriving in LAX at 1PM we decided to hedge our bets and accept the hotel voucher and call it a night.  American provided us with a room voucher for the nearby Doubletree and off into an UBER we went!  Pedal to the medal, we arrived likety split!  Exhausted and ready for some sleep, I plunked my voucher on the counter and gave the best pitiful me look I could possibly muster.  Hesitantly, the man behind the counter informed me that they were all out of rooms 🤦‍♀️.  But we were welcome to have a seat in the lobby to figure something out.  Now after midnight and with no rooms in sight, we decided to broaden our search further away from the airport.  We found a room at the Georgian Terrace in midtown, which incidentally is the same hotel the cast of Gone with the Wind stayed at during the premier at the Fox Theater across the street.  Much too exhausted to care about the hotel's history, we rode the elevator to room 215...where we spent exactly two hours!

Any notion we had of getting a few hours of sleep was rudely interrupted by a text from American stating that our flight time had once again been pushed back...this time to 1:30 pm.  Knowing this would not allow us to make embarkation, we cancelled our flight and booked THE. LAST. TWO. SEATS. ON. SOUTHWEST.  Departing at 6:40am, we had just enough time to grab a quick shower and throw on some fresh clothes before hopping back into an UBER, our third one tonight/today/yesterday, and head back to the airport.  So, here I sit...tired, hungry...no make up to speak of (not that I care), and there is still no guarantee that we will make embarkation.  Our flight stops in Dallas before making it's way into LAX by 1 pm local time.  Even if we get to the pier in record time, I am fully prepared for them to not allow us to board the ship.  

Appreciate all the positive vibes...please keep sending them our way!

Any tips on how to quickly navigate LAX would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I was hoping you would decide to pursue an earlier flight.  I guess you are going to need to stop by AA office at LAX to retrieve your luggage or is your luggage still with you?

They deplaned all of our luggage so we were able to pick it up and have checked it again for our new flight.  We are supposed to land in LA by 1:05 and will have until 2:30 to get to the pier.  It will take a miraculous series of events...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

They deplaned all of our luggage so we were able to pick it up and have checked it again for our new flight.  We are supposed to land in LA by 1:05 and will have until 2:30 to get to the pier.  It will take a miraculous series of events...

I have a good feeling you are going to make it!  Perhaps your flight will get in early.  Or, the ship will delay the sailing for an hour or two.  You just never know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I have a good feeling you are going to make it!  Perhaps your flight will get in early.  Or, the ship will delay the sailing for an hour or two.  You just never know.

Well there were a lot of flight cancellations from ATL.  If any of them were heading for the Solstice and booked using FBC, then I guess there is hope that they will wait for a bit for everyone to arrive...🤞🏻

• Like 4

As soon as you arrive in LAX (fingers crosses ON TIME), call the number in your ticket booklet. To the port agent in LAX. Notify them that you are on your way and tell them that what has happened. So they know you are late. AND can tell the ship, so they can decide what they want to accept. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I looked up her flight. Good news is that she is only a few minutes away from landing in Dallas. Her second flight is still showing as on time. 🤞🤞🤞🤞 With it being a Saturday the traffic should not be as bad as the weekday LA traffic. Grab a taxi as that will be the quickest form of transportation. Good luck. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, LaCal said:

Definitely take a taxi to get to the pier….it’ll be your quickest option 

Good Luck 🍀🍀🍀🍀

Thank you. So I’ve prearranged an UBER black to pick us up. They should be waiting. Are you saying a taxi would be better?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

I looked up her flight. Good news is that she is only a few minutes away from landing in Dallas. Her second flight is still showing as on time. 🤞🤞🤞🤞 With it being a Saturday the traffic should not be as bad as the weekday LA traffic. Grab a taxi as that will be the quickest form of transportation. Good luck. 

Just landed in Dallas. So a taxi is faster than a waiting Uber?

• Like 1

I believe at LAX, Uber black is able to pickup curbside as you exit with luggage. Regular Uber and taxis can only pickup at LAXit lot which requires catching a shuttle with your luggage. Using Uber black pre-booked could save additional time. Could someone else please confirm.

• Like 3

Just now, LooseMoose said:

I believe at LAX, Uber black is able to pickup curbside as you exit with luggage. Regular Uber and taxis can only pickup at LAXit lot which requires catching a shuttle with your luggage. Using Uber black pre-booked could save additional time. Could someone else please confirm.

My husband has read this to be true as well.  This gives us confirmation, so thank you.

• Like 1

A phone call to shoreside concierge resulted in alerting the ship of our circumstances.  We have been instructed to call them again when we land to give an update.  The wild cards are the speed with which we can retrieve our luggage and also the LA traffic.  I don't wish this circumstance on anyone but maybe others are in a similar situation...Rarely have I been on a cruise where sail away occurred at the published time...maybe I'm just grasping...still hopeful.🙃

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My husband has read this to be true as well.  This gives us confirmation, so thank you.

I'm assuming you're in the air and no delays expected....I'm amazed at how relaxed you are keeping us in the loop.  🛬🚕🛳️....all will work out!

CC is SO helpful....I feel I'm being walked through these mishaps with you and getting a great education in what to do should any of this happen during our cruise 'escapes'.  Particularly 'black uber' and 'port phone number' and shore-side concierge. 

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 5

Guest CunucuMom

I was just planning to follow your journey as a newbie lurker but now I'm on the edge of my seat hoping the stars align and you make it on the ship this afternoon.  Sending prayers and good thoughts that everything works out in your favor.

6 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I'm assuming you're in the air and no delays expected....I'm amazed at how relaxed you are keeping us in the loop.  🛬🚕🛳️....all will work out!

CC is SO helpful....I feel I'm being walked through these mishaps with you and getting a great education in what to do should any of this happen during our cruise 'escapes'.  Particularly 'black uber' and 'port phone number' and shore-side concierge. 

Agree that the Cruise Critic community is a wealth of information based on personal experiences, expertise, and yes, mishaps.  It's funny because I don't feel very calm at all but most of this is out of my control.  Hoping for the best.  The shoreside concierge was optimistic as well.  Thank you for tagging along in my odyssey.  Will keep everyone posted!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3