Solstice Mexican Riviera March 4th-11th...Finally...let the saga...ahem, I mean live review begin!

Georgia_Peaches

On 3/2/2023 at 10:44 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Airfare:  We are flying American airlines.  Round trip from Atlanta in first class was $880 pp with an itinerary that takes us to LAX and departs us from Long Beach….not…

I wish you the best with American.  There are three airlines I will not fly -- Spirit, Frontier, and American.   

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I wish you the best with American.  There are three airlines I will not fly -- Spirit, Frontier, and American.   

Yeh, I think we are one and done with American as well.  Live and learn, I guess.  I just asked DH if he thinks we will miss the boat..he's optimistic that we will make it...we have 18 hours...

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yeh, I think we are one and done with American as well.  Live and learn, I guess.  I just asked DH if he thinks we will miss the boat..he's optimistic that we will make it...we have 18 hours...

Keeping fingers crossed for you!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I encourage more alcohol while you deal with the delays.  

I have high confidence that you'll get there but I cannot speak for what shape, nerves wise, you'll be in.  One good thing going for you is the time difference definitely works for you. 

I'll be especially interested in what you choose to do for your stop in Puerto Vallarta.  Our next cruise will be making a stop there before proceeding to LA (San Pedro) and I am not sure what we are going to do.  We went there once before but I believe it was just too hot and humid to do anything there seek the air conditioned comfort of the ship. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

I most definitely just LOLed.  We have been sitting in the AA lounge and they have literally kept the drinks flowing.  At this point I'll be lucky to walk a straight line from my current location to the plane.  On the bright side, my app tells me that my luggage is on it's way to LA.  Not sure how they're pulling that one off...perhaps they don't need a pilot.

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I most definitely just LOLed.  We have been sitting in the AA lounge and they have literally kept the drinks flowing.  At this point I'll be lucky to walk a straight line from my current location to the plane.  On the bright side, my app tells me that my luggage is on it's way to LA.  Not sure how they're pulling that one off...perhaps they don't need a pilot.

Our Son gave us a pair of Apple iTags this past Christmas.  He bought a 4-pack and decided he did not need them all.  It was fun to track our bags as we wandered around the airports. 

30 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You’re much more calm that I am. I would be down at the Delta counter looking for a flight to LAX. We flew nothing but Delta when living in ATL but now that we’re on the west coast it’s United who has proven to be on par with Delta. At least for us. Good luck on the flight. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Welllll, not so fast! Sitting on the plane with drink in hand, our trip has come to an abrupt halt.  And when I say abrupt, I mean everyone grab your stuff and get off the plane kind of halt.  It seems that the FAA has this pesky little requirement that each plane equip themselves with a pilot.  And our pilot has been diverted to Birmingham due to storms and wind in the area.  At this point it is unclear if we will get out tonight or not.  Just another reason why flying in ahead of time is always good practice.  Will keep you posted...

Oh.. my.    You are definitely having a tough trip.  Keep us updated as we will be following your progress with baited breath. 

• Like 1

Well, you got a great deal, so I am sure you will make the cruise...just breathe.  I did not know an RS could be had for such a reasonable price.  Maybe paying higher prices for newer ships was a mistake that I can fix in the future, or I will definitely have to scale down my number of cruises(cabins/Suites) if I want to continue.  Additionally, I might have to do some gambling onboard for a good offer.  We are elite+ and have never gambled!🙃

You Got This!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I have high confidence that you'll get there but I cannot speak for what shape, nerves wise, you'll be in.  One good thing going for you is the time difference definitely works for you. 

I'll be especially interested in what you choose to do for your stop in Puerto Vallarta.  Our next cruise will be making a stop there before proceeding to LA (San Pedro) and I am not sure what we are going to do.  We went there once before but I believe it was just too hot and humid to do anything there seek the air conditioned comfort of the ship. 

When we were in PV in early November we did a cooking class that was amazing. We met the chef at the market, just a few blocks from the ship. He toured the market picking up ingredients for our lunch. Then he took us to his home where we proceeded to cook the entire meal including tortillas. I've never had sting ray before but it was very good. I'd do it again easily as the dishes change with what's freshest in the market.

• Like 1

Hope you get there in plenty of time! And yikes, why are people so down on American in general? I pretty much have that and Southwest as the two main options from my home airport.

Also throwing in a suggestion for what to do in Puerto Vallarta: I was just there in January with another cruise line, and I did the most incredible walking food and drink tour. Not sure if your time in port lines up right to be able to do because it does start in the later afternoon, but it was truly an amazing experience. https://vallartamexologytours.com/mexology-tours/mex-ology/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, allinwonderland said:

Hope you get there in plenty of time! And yikes, why are people so down on American in general? I pretty much have that and Southwest as the two main options from my home airport.

Also throwing in a suggestion for what to do in Puerto Vallarta: I was just there in January with another cruise line, and I did the most incredible walking food and drink tour. Not sure if your time in port lines up right to be able to do because it does start in the later afternoon, but it was truly an amazing experience. https://vallartamexologytours.com/mexology-tours/mex-ology/

That reads and looks amazin but our port call is 0700 - 1400. So now way to make an afternoon trip.  And cruising our not, my days of starting to drink at 0700 - 0800 are long behind me !!  Although I still recall how refreshing a nice cold adult beverage was after getting off an i hour shift at 0800.  

20 minutes ago, allinwonderland said:

I think AA, in their own hub can be a great option.  However, in these parts, where AA is just another airline in the mix, situations such as this, where a pilot was needed makes for a precarious situation.  After much delay, we are told that we might finally get to board at 10 PM.  Nearly 5 hours after our scheduled departure.  Were we on Delta with an abundance of pilots because this is a hub, we might not have met with such delays.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I hope this live review has a happy ending.  So stressful.  Have to commend you for dealing with it so well I do pray that the next update is that you got on a flight and land in enough time  to meet the cruise 🤞

Edited by maggieq
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think AA, in their own hub can be a great option.  However, in these parts, where AA is just another airline in the mix, situations such as this, where a pilot was needed makes for a precarious situation.  After much delay, we are told that we might finally get to board at 10 PM.  Nearly 5 hours after our scheduled departure.  Were we on Delta with an abundance of pilots because this is a hub, we might not have met with such delays.  

Hang in there!!  When I flew out of SFO last January, it was the day when the FAA grounded all flights because of a system outage...after 4 nail-biting hours we finally took off...(that was United...)

I made it and so will you!!

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Good luck. Fingers crossed for you.

16 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well guys, the flight has been officially cancelled.  No flight crew available until 11 AM tomorrow.  If we are lucky enough to catch this flight, it will be touch and go as to whether or not we will make embarkation.

That just sucks. 'Nuff said. Good luck!!!!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well guys, the flight has been officially cancelled.  No flight crew available until 11 AM tomorrow.  If we are lucky enough to catch this flight, it will be touch and go as to whether or not we will make embarkation.

I am so sorry to hear this !! I will put out all the positive energy and prayers that you will be on the cruise tomorrow!🙏

22 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hope they can get you on something sooner get some rest