Travel Agent or RCI

4 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

I've always booked directly with RCI.  We're interested in an Alaskan cruise for 2024.  Are there any benefits to gong through a TA versus booking directly with RCI?  

Thanks.

If you are booking a balcony or below find a TA that has group rates.  Refundable deposits and prices less than Royals nrd rate plus extra OBC. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you can find a reputable TA in your area (and I'm sure there are many) that is familiar with cruises, and especially Alaskan cruises by RCL  then look to them to get everything together for you.   But do have an idea of what cabin or deck you want and cabins to avoid.  Depending on where you're coming from a good TA will help with air and hotel pre and post cruise.  And, as other have pointed out maybe get you in as part of a group, which can have savings.

You can still use the app to check in and book extras.

1 hour ago, moposh said:

Do any of you have the RC cc?  If you book with a TA, do you get the extra reward points?  That's my issue.

Yes I have the Royal CC.  Booking with a TA makes no difference.  You still get the double points. If you book onboard at Nextcruise you get a tiny little bit of OBC, that is all.  Booking directly you get no extra C and A points, no perks and no discounts.    TA's offer reduced prices through group space they have available.  They offer refundable deposits that you don't pay extra for and they offer OBC with a booking that Royal would give you nothing.  Sometimes it is only a small amount other times it can be a little more. Either way, if you book with a good TA you always come out ahead.

Edited by Rusty_lock
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

I've always booked directly with RCI.  We're interested in an Alaskan cruise for 2024.  Are there any benefits to gong through a TA versus booking directly with RCI?  

Thanks.

Yes, but you can do both. Book direct then transfer to your TA. Final booking through a TA will always be your lowest total cost. They share their commission up to a set % of the cruise fare. If not find another TA who will.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Yes, but you can do both. Book direct then transfer to your TA. Final booking through a TA will always be your lowest total cost. They share their commission up to a set % of the cruise fare. If not find another TA who will.

We do this when using Next Cruise.  Book on ship and have them transfer to our TA.  Easy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

Yes I have the Royal CC.  Booking with a TA makes no difference.  You still get the double points. If you book onboard at Nextcruise you get a tiny little bit of OBC, that is all.  Booking directly you get no extra C and A points, no perks and no discounts.    TA's offer reduced prices through group space they have available.  They offer refundable deposits that you don't pay extra for and they offer OBC with a booking that Royal would give you nothing.  Sometimes it is only a small amount other times it can be a little more. Either way, if you book with a good TA you always come out ahead.

That's good to know.  I was booking directly with RC because I wanted to pay with my cc and get double points.  I will check out a TA next time to see what they offer.  

• Like 1

shop around and get a few prices with OBC to see what is out there. i used a bidding site and am still using the TA years later. for me i just need a low price. no other services. so i cannot even say how good he is with other than booking services. of course the type of cabin you book affects the OBC you get. or possibly a discounted price. for example got 650 OBC on a crown loft suite. to a small discount on a cruise on another line to 2250 obc on a higher level suite on yet another line.

only improvement my guy could need would be automatic price drops. i think some TAs will monitor for you. mine doesnt. but i check every day myself

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you are booking a balcony or below find a TA that has group rates.  Refundable deposits and prices less than Royals nrd rate plus extra OBC. 

@Ourusualbeach we should probably talk …

not sure if online TA i’ve been using is best route. always book JS +

mdjreno4 at hotmail 

9 hours ago, Rusty_lock said:

Book with a good TA and you will never go back to booking directly again.  A good TA is worth his weight in cookies.

Finding a good one is the tricky part. 

• Like 1

I would use a TA if I were booking a cruise where I had to fly to another country to begin my cruise and to avoid staying at a hotel located in a bad area and then getting on time to board the ship.  Otherwise, I would book directly with RCI.

16 minutes ago, iuki said:

I would use a TA if I were booking a cruise where I had to fly to another country to begin my cruise and to avoid staying at a hotel located in a bad area and then getting on time to board the ship.  Otherwise, I would book directly with RCI.

Wasting money.

• Haha 1