No NCL February 2024 Cruises out of NYC?

Healthmark

For many years NCL has had two ships cruising out of NYC in the winters.  The ships were always full and usually they were  11,12 and/or 14 day cruses.

In 2024, there is only the Getaway doing a 10 day cruise in January (none in February)

Does anyone know if NCL is planning on placing another ship departing from NYC in the winter of 2024? 

When I checked the NCL website nothing came up for February 2024.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Healthmark said:

Yes, I saw that.  The question I was posting was why NCL cut out their second ship in NYC in the winter of 2024 and reduced the length of their cruises.   

Think it through...when NCL makes a corporate level decision of course there is a "why" behind that decision. Do you really expect that, once a decision is made, that NCL has someone ensure that Cruise Critic knows the "why" behind their decision?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buford T Justiice said:

MSC and Carnival have cruises in February from NYC.  Maybe NCL sees a saturation issue coming.

Pricing for our February 2024 is comparable to what we paid in 2020.

Yes, a good point....that could be true.

I've seen many TV commercials in the NYC metropolitan area for MSC.  They are really targeting the NYC market and their pricing is very aggressive.  However, it appears they are not cruising to some of the popular Caribbean ports. 

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Feb 2025 also has one ship (Prima) leaving NYC 3 times.

Edit: I put in wrong year …. 

I don't think the full 2025 deployment schedule is out yet. Hopefully by late spring/early summer we will have it. I'm looking for 2025 as well. NCL usually waits a bit before releasing full schedules and dates, especially for the longer cruises out of NYC.

I'm booked for the Carnival Venezia 12 day western carib out of NYC for February 2024.  This is the first time I ever saw a western carib out of NYC so booked it when it first came out.  I think it's just about full.

This year I can tell you itineraries on the Norwegian Gem and the Norwegian Getaway didn't sell well. I snagged a solo deal for myself and for others. The Gem for being completely redone was very affordably priced for solos, more so than the Getaway which I would prefer the Gem over anyway. Two ships seemed to even saturate the NYC market this season. I am not sure if it's because they didn't go further south for a longer period of time or just that the market is soft in NYC suddenly. Either way, with more competition coming from MSC, I suspect they're cutting back to avoid a price war.

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

I'm booked for the Carnival Venezia 12 day western carib out of NYC for February 2024.  This is the first time I ever saw a western carib out of NYC so booked it when it first came out.  I think it's just about full.

It's great news that other lines are coming to NY.  We sail for itinerary and are very hesitant to use NCL again after they cancelled the DR and the morning of Antigua for environmental reasons after final payment and wouldn't let me switch to a later sailing that was scheduled to make those ports (I would have completely understood if weather or an emergency had forced a cancellation, but at this point am very hesitant to sail NCL again).

47 minutes ago, CruisinMaterial said:

The Gem for being completely redone

Having just been on the Gem for 23 days, I’d like to note that the ship has not been “completely redone.”  While public areas were refreshed during the Nov/Dec dry dock, NCL did nothing to the staterooms. I really love the Gem, but NCL really needs to get rid of the dated, dark wood laminate and modernize the cabins. Sadly, they don’t have the money to do it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Having just been on the Gem for 23 days, I’d like to note that the ship has not been “completely redone.”  While public areas were refreshed during the Nov/Dec dry dock, NCL did nothing to the staterooms. I really love the Gem, but NCL really needs to get rid of the dated, dark wood laminate and modernize the cabins. Sadly, they don’t have the money to do it. 

Indeed the rooms were not updated. However, the updates they did to them on the other Jewel-class ships didn't make much sense either since the darker wood look was only in half the room. 🤷‍♂️

15 hours ago, Healthmark said:

For many years NCL has had two ships cruising out of NYC in the winters.  The ships were always full and usually they were  11,12 and/or 14 day cruses.

In 2024, there is only the Getaway doing a 10 day cruise in January (none in February)

Does anyone know if NCL is planning on placing another ship departing from NYC in the winter of 2024? 

When I checked the NCL website nothing came up for February 2024.

My family & friends & I are booked on the Getaway Feb 6-16,2024 outta here (NYC)

Ships including the GEM that recently came back out of dry dock got new furniture in the public area.  Good news for those with short legs as they might find the chairs & sofa to be more accessible friendly but apparently, not everyone agree.

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is raising their parking rate in April (last adjusted in 2017) - and it is the same management agent/port operator running Manhattan's cruise pier, and, my gut feeling is that Pier 88/90 & 92's daily parking rate will go up $5, probably more like $10 to $50 per 24 hours - capping the max amount to $500 for cruises that are over 10 days - ouch.  

Given NCL's recent pattern and repeated history of changng ports, adjusting arrival and all abroad time - often after final payment deadlines and/or not until guests are onboard the ship - I am not a fan of booking anything a year away since we are local ... not as simple for those who must travel and plan ahead their cruise vacation.  Maybe, if the prices of the total package is right and good, then book it & watch for changes before final payment.  

Prices for Alaska this season are dirty cheap now, especially if you can live with an Oceanview and/or Inside Stateroom - and, save money by skipping the Free At Seas offers.  

11 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Ships including the GEM that recently came back out of dry dock got new furniture in the public area.  Good news for those with short legs as they might find the chairs & sofa to be more accessible friendly but apparently, not everyone agree.

OMG, having just been on the Gem, I think that NCL shopped for those new chairs and sofas in the "World's Most Uncomfortable Furniture" store.  I am short, and it wasn't about accessibility of the new furniture, it was that the chairs and sofas were too low, or too deep, or too hard, or all of those things.  My wife is taller, and she was equally uncomfortable. 

One morning early in our cruise, I'd gone up to the empty Spinnaker Lounge to read.  I sat down (for the first time) in one of the nice new chairs, and could not believe how uncomfortable it was. So I then sat in every different chair and sofa  -- same problem.  Terribly uncomfortable.   🙁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

OMG, having just been on the Gem, I think that NCL shopped for those new chairs and sofas in the "World's Most Uncomfortable Furniture" store.  I am short, and it wasn't about accessibility of the new furniture, it was that the chairs and sofas were too low, or too deep, or too hard, or all of those things.  My wife is taller, and she was equally uncomfortable. 

One morning early in our cruise, I'd gone up to the empty Spinnaker Lounge to read.  I sat down (for the first time) in one of the nice new chairs, and could not believe how uncomfortable it was. So I then sat in every different chair and sofa  -- same problem.  Terribly uncomfortable.   🙁

I have felt the same way. (And, I thought that it was "just me"!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

I have felt the same way. (And, I thought that it was "just me"!)

CC friends of ours were on the GEM repo to NY back in December first shared these changes and thought, what had NCL done to the ship's furniture in the public area.  

They are going to be on the SUN's repo in early April and we are meeting for brunch next weekend before they fly out to Lisbon ahead - should have an interesting conversation about what kind of changes are being made at drydock.  New & slimmer chairs and sofas in the lobby, lounges and bars, etc. are probably redesigned to be slimmer & lighter in support of FDR's mission to sail & sustain. If the furniture proved to be uncomfortable for "chair hogs" to sit still and stay for longer than intended, the turnover will make for "enhanced" foot traffic - the illusions of decent seating being available, just hang out & wait long enough, someone else will give up - get up and move along.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mking8288 said:

CC friends of ours were on the GEM repo to NY back in December first shared these changes and thought, what had NCL done to the ship's furniture in the public area.  

They are going to be on the SUN's repo in early April and we are meeting for brunch next weekend before they fly out to Lisbon ahead - should have an interesting conversation about what kind of changes are being made at drydock.  New & slimmer chairs and sofas in the lobby, lounges and bars, etc. are probably redesigned to be slimmer & lighter in support of FDR's mission to sail & sustain. If the furniture proved to be uncomfortable for "chair hogs" to sit still and stay for longer than intended, the turnover will make for "enhanced" foot traffic - the illusions of decent seating being available, just hang out & wait long enough, someone else will give up - get up and move along.  

Not formally announced, that is the new 'No Sit & Sustain' program.

• Haha 3

On 3/4/2023 at 4:05 PM, mking8288 said:

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is raising their parking rate in April (last adjusted in 2017) - and it is the same management agent/port operator running Manhattan's cruise pier, and, my gut feeling is that Pier 88/90 & 92's daily parking rate will go up $5, probably more like $10 to $50 per 24 hours - capping the max amount to $500 for cruises that are over 10 days - ouch.

More reasons to use the slightly annoying, but decent experience of parking in NJ, staying overnight, having breakfast, and getting a shuttle into the city....all for one fee. In Dec/Jan it was less than the cost of parking for ten days at the pier on the night before New Year's Eve! 

21 hours ago, dexddd said:

Not formally announced, that is the new 'No Sit & Sustain' program.

More movement = healthier right? Or so I've been led to believe. NCL looking out for their customers by ensuring we have to move around and eat less when taking a cruise on their ship! 🤠

On 3/4/2023 at 9:17 AM, Buford T Justiice said:

MSC and Carnival have cruises in February from NYC.  Maybe NCL sees a saturation issue coming.

Pricing for our February 2024 is comparable to what we paid in 2020.

If New York will be saturated, NCL should send a ship to Boston for winter cruises.  The market  is there.