Southampton

sitraveler

Hi Lou depends on your interests

A short train ride to Portsmouth  might be interesting  to see the Martime museum /dockyards area

https://maryrose.org/

Spinnaker tower  if not afraid of heights LOL

We enjoyed just wandering around Southampton  but we  stayed for a few days

Lyn

• Like 2

We spent a few days in Southampton before a cruise a few years ago. It was a much more interesting city than we expected.  The Sea City Museum was fascinating. One of the volunteers heard our American accent and told us about the American troops who had massed there to prepare for D Day. Also really enjoyed the Titanic exhibit.

https://seacitymuseum.co.uk/

there was also a Tudor house museum that was good. Easy train ride to Salisbury if you haven’t been there.

• Like 1

I have been investigating exactly the same thing for our change over day in Portsmouth.  We were looking for a relaxed day before the next leg of our B2B cruise,  so have decided to catch the Hovercraft to the Isle of Wight.  Obviously we are not expecting to see all but have read they have an efficient bus service and will be looking for a nice restaurant for lunch before heading back to the ship.  From Southhampton there is a regular ferry service to Cowes.

• Like 1

We were in Southampton prior to our Oceania cruise a few years ago.  We took the little ferry across and then got a taxi to (and from) Beaulieu.  Lovely estate with historic home and beautiful gardens.  And a fabulous car collection, wide ranging variety including the little play caravan of the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret.  Nice cafe, too. 

We have lived near Southampton for over 40 years There are many things to do.Open top bus tour through the New Forest

Train to Salisbury for cathedral and Wilton House ( in Bridgerton series),Stay on train for Bath

,Look at Exbury Gardens near Southampton.As previous poster said Beaulieu is nice and the motor museum.

Alternatively the ferry to Isle of Wight and Osborne House (Queen Victorias summer house)

You could get train to Weymouth a Victorian town.Or train and bus to Swanage and see Corfe Castle and a ride on a steam train.

19 hours ago, lovetravel63-65 said:

You could get train to Weymouth a Victorian town

Weymouth is a very typical seaside town with some considerable history. It was a departure port for American troops leaving for the D-Day landings. We spent a week there last summer, using it as a base for touring the area.

If getting the train there, I'd suggest also stopping at Dorchester, which is the county town and which has a nice pedestrianised centre - including well preserved bits of a Roman town house.

As well as Salisbury for its cathedral, there would also be the cathedral at Winchester.

As mentioned upthread, the British Isles subforum in the Ports of Call section has lots of info about the Southampton area.

I would think going to Weymouth on turnaround day  would not give you much time to see the sites there

They do have great fish n chips  by the  waterfront though

JMO

On 3/6/2023 at 3:42 PM, lovetravel63-65 said:

We have lived near Southampton for over 40 years There are many things to do.Open top bus tour through the New Forest

Train to Salisbury for cathedral and Wilton House ( in Bridgerton series),Stay on train for Bath

,Look at Exbury Gardens near Southampton.As previous poster said Beaulieu is nice and the motor museum.

Alternatively the ferry to Isle of Wight and Osborne House (Queen Victorias summer house)

You could get train to Weymouth a Victorian town.Or train and bus to Swanage and see Corfe Castle and a ride on a steam train.

How long a train ride from southampton to Bath?  Is the Bath train station centrally located?  We'll be in Southampton for 3 days pre cruise 

8 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

How long a train ride from southampton to Bath?  Is the Bath train station centrally located?  We'll be in Southampton for 3 days pre cruise 

The average time is 1,5 hours.There are about 30 trains a day.For timetables see GWR or trainline.Bath Spa station is in the centre of town.

1 hour ago, lovetravel63-65 said:

The average time is 1,5 hours.There are about 30 trains a day.For timetables see GWR or trainline.Bath Spa station is in the centre of town.

Thanks.... definitely want to go 

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2023 at 1:58 AM, lovetravel63-65 said:

I have an email I sent to someone else with lots of suggestions for Southampton,if you want a copy email me Stuartlake@btinternet.com and I will send it to you.

Is your email address current? 

I live in Hamble a small yachting village just outside Southampton. I agree to all except Weymouth for the day (best for a port visit to Portland). Winchester, Salisbury and Portsmouth (for the naval museum) are all great.

A ferry to Isle of Wight although you will be on enough boats. Cowes from Southampton not as scenic as Ryde from Portsmouth. The best of IofW is the country and coast within. That little ferry (Hythe ferry) and taxi to Beaulieu is a great idea paired with Exbury.

Cruise critic has an article about Southampton and I learnt a few things. I have GPSmyCity app on my phone for holidays. It has some walking tours of Southampton. Lots of Titanic stuff.

Uber is plentiful and you can now use it for booking trains too. Bath is great. Like everywhere lots of strikes this Summer! 

There are ToursbyLocals guides for Southampton too. 

1 hour ago, hawkesbaynz said:

I have GPSmyCity app on my phone for holidays

GPSmy city is an excellent resource. I've planned a couple of walking tours for cities we're visiting on our upcoming cruise.