Azamara Pursuit Rio to Lisbon 3/7-23

Mackdogmolly

15 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Onboard finally and all is good except missed the window for specialty restaurant reservations. Opening again at 6

Sounds like embarkation was a mess.  Hope you get the reservations you want but with a TA there is a lot of opportunity

Fingers crossed for you

• Like 1

Onboard and yes embarkation was quite chaotic and we missed the window for specialty restaurant reservations. We only got them later and pickings were slim.

Sail-away was lovely, albeit a bit cloudy. We sailed passed Sugarloaf, Copacabana beach, Corcovado etc. 

This is our first Azamara cruise ( we have sailed on HAL, Celebrity, Crystal and others) and so far we are enjoying it quite a bit!

F3557EC3-4C4B-4DA4-9123-72BB3B3BE922.jpeg

854974D9-33E1-4A0B-AA68-8EA83BC480B0.jpeg

59B62139-D05A-46BF-83DB-5557A59B4BDD.jpeg

664CA716-03F9-4D30-B074-5B4F073F1A9C.jpeg

• Like 8

@brazilgirl we're doing a swap with you this year:  your first cruise on Azamara, and our first visit to Portugal!  Two actually: stopover in Lisbon before a week in the Azores and a week in Madeira next month; then in September, three weeks: Lisbon, many sights on the way to Porto (Alcobaca, Batalha, Tomar, Coimbra), a Douro river cruise to Vega de Terron and back, then Obidos and Sintra before flying home.  [My plan is to eat so many Pastéis de Nata that my cholesterol goes through the roof!  😅]

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

@brazilgirl we're doing a swap with you this year:  your first cruise on Azamara, and our first visit to Portugal!  Two actually: stopover in Lisbon before a week in the Azores and a week in Madeira next month; then in September, three weeks: Lisbon, many sights on the way to Porto (Alcobaca, Batalha, Tomar, Coimbra), a Douro river cruise to Vega de Terron and back, then Obidos and Sintra before flying home.  [My plan is to eat so many Pastéis de Nata that my cholesterol goes through the roof!  😅]

Oh, you will love Portugal! Be sure not to miss the Monseratte Palace in Sintra. I prefer it over the more famous palaces. And the Pastéis de Nata are incredible. Enjoy. If you have time, visit the Quinta de São Bernardo in the Douro Valley. We have stayed there twice and it is a favorite. 

I will update about my Azamara impressions along the way. Loved the library.

8E2DED63-23C3-4DED-8002-BEA3585191B7.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brazilgirl said:

I will update about my Azamara impressions along the way. Loved the library.

8E2DED63-23C3-4DED-8002-BEA3585191B7.jpeg

One of my favorite rooms on the Azamara ships, especially the ceiling.  [Curses to Princess for damaging it so badly that Azamara Onward has a white ceiling!]

• Like 4

Embarkation WAS a mess, but I’m pretty sure it was the port and not Azamara’s fault. At least we were in a comfortable, air conditioned space, with refreshments.

Once the specialty restaurant reservations desk opened again at 6, we had no problem getting our reservations, along with an Italian Chef’s Table.

One thing new to us since our last sailing: no more stickers on the key cards identifying levels of beverage package AND they kept our passports at the pier and not sure when we’re going to get them back.

Had a lovely dinner in the MDR - food as good as ever - and called it a night early!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was sure having embarked in Rio before it would be the ports fault.  There and Buenos Aires sit with Mumbai as my three worst embarkation experiences on Azamara - none the cruise lines fault

Yes on transatlantic out of South America and most cruises in SA they keep the passports- in a way I prefer that it saves me worrying about them!!

We did not have stickers most of last year, its connected to your room number so they ask for that at drink ordering.  The good staff remember your room very quickly, the less good ask you every single time.  

Glad you had a good dinner and that you got the dining sorted - keep enjoying!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Had a lovely dinner in the MDR - food as good as ever - and called it a night early!

We are joining the excellent Pursuit on April 1st in Civitavecchia. Needless to say after a fantastic Baltic last year we really look forward to coming back again.

Last July the ship sailed at half capacity while in April were back to a healthy fully booked ship. What is the MDR traffic like? If you want a table for two for dinner do you have to wait, are there any lines etc? What are the busiest times?  We are late diners however flexible.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

We got to the “holding pen” about 15 minutes in advance of or 2 pm check in and the place is already mobbed. Evidently assigning people in order of appearance, not assigned check in time 🤷‍♂️

We got there at 1 pm and we had the first slot at 2 pm. When they started boarding we realised people were given boarding groups by random and not by time of appearance. People with later slots that arrived after us actually boarded ahead of us. Nice way of Azamara to make half their passengers irritated and impatient even before getting on board.

Worst boarding chaos ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oslo Dutch said:

What is the MDR traffic like? If you want a table for two for dinner do you have to wait, are there any lines etc? What are the busiest times?  We are late diners however flexible.

We ate early (for us) last night, having skipped lunch and there was no wait at all and service was very good. Usually we eat later so I will let you know how that goes. The Patio is open tonight (W/P) so we might eat there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

We got there at 1 pm and we had the first slot at 2 pm. When they started boarding we realised people were given boarding groups by random and not by time of appearance. People with later slots that arrived after us actually boarded ahead of us. Nice way of Azamara to make half their passengers irritated and impatient even before getting on board.

Yes, that was unfortunate. It was obvious that most people had arrived WELL ahead of their scheduled check in times.

5 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Yes, that was unfortunate. It was obvious that most people had arrived WELL ahead of their scheduled check in times.

Yes. We got there at 1 pm and more than 200 people were there earlier.

Edited by oddjob16

16 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Some of the Brits and Europeans got there at 10 or just after because all their flights land between 7 and 9 and they take them straight to the ship (Im talking those who have flights done through the cruise line and Travel agent packages).  Its always been an issue in South America.

• Thanks 1

We'll be boarding the Pursuit in Lisbon on the 23rd. Seems we need to be at the Terminal not only at the confirmed time slot, [2:-2:30], but early enough to get ahead of the crowd. Hoping to get a few  reservations at the a la carte restaurants ASAP - our TA gifted us this perk. 

Mackdogmolly - Of course, escaping Logan is be our primary goal on the 20th. This week, two Untied planes "kissed" on the tarmac and another had to make an emergency/priority landing when a passenger disarmed the plane door and attempted to open it in flight. Passengers and flight crew had to hold the guy down until the plane landed - the zip tie cuffs didn't hold. The video has been uploaded to WCVB. 

Take good care of the ship for us.

Darcy

4 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

I've learned over time that whatever your form of transport, when you travel you need to wear your patience hat, let it wash over you and look forward (in the case of Azamara) to being pampered. You and Synnøve have a wonderful cruise. Buzios is one of my favourites. 

Phil 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy to follow this trip report. As an old Celebrity ,current Viking  Ocean ,cruiser, I am interested in  maybe doing an Azamara cruise in Eastern Europe, Greek ports . 

Love to read a trip report and get the views of current cruisers  and the ambience on board. 

BrazilGirl, thanks for the pictures of the ship , keep them coming. 

My only hesitation is trying to figure out the various pricing, promos, included upcharges etc. Viking is very straight forward in pricing and TA obc. 

Edited by Azulann

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I've learned over time that whatever your form of transport, when you travel you need to wear your patience hat, let it wash over you and look forward (in the case of Azamara) to being pampered. You and Synnøve have a wonderful cruise. Buzios is one of my favourites. 

Phil 

I know and we are experienced in this game. Problem is when the boarding is so random that half the people is litterally going to crash the gates when they realise they are suckers.

Take that away, - We are enjoying. ☺️😋

3 hours ago, WatchHill said:

Mackdogmolly - Of course, escaping Logan is be our primary goal on the 20th. This week, two Untied planes "kissed" on the tarmac and another had to make an emergency/priority landing when a passenger disarmed the plane door and attempted to open it in flight. Passengers and flight crew had to hold the guy down until the plane landed - the zip tie cuffs didn't hold. The video has been uploaded to WCVB. 

OMG!!

2 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

I know and we are experienced in this game. Problem is when the boarding is so random that half the people is litterally going to crash the gates when they realise they are suckers.

Take that away, - We are enjoying. ☺️😋

It's called boarding envy😀. Just make sure you get ahead of them at the Pool Bar and have one for me!

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, WatchHill said:

We'll be boarding the Pursuit in Lisbon on the 23rd. Seems we need to be at the Terminal not only at the confirmed time slot, [2:-2:30], but early enough to get ahead of the crowd. Hoping to get a few  reservations at the a la carte restaurants ASAP - our TA gifted us this perk. 

Take good care of the ship for us.

Darcy

My boarding time in Buenos Aires was at 15.00. I have arrived at 15.00. No lines. People have to wait because they arrive before 14.00 or between 14.00 and 14.30. If you wish no lines arrive after that.

Ivi

• Like 1