Attire reality

lhsail

We are on AmaMagna, and were surprised with an upgrade from an AB to an SA.

Here is the Robe and slippers. Robe seems very nice. Very thick and plush. I just don't do robes, and my wife travels with a thin robe that she prefers.

And to answer the original question, no reason to bring anything special for dinner, with the possible exception of the Captain's dinner, which is tomorrow night. So we'll see. I brought a sports coat.

BTW, this ship is amazing. And this room is incredible.

image.thumb.jpeg.1835851fbcf64e78cbd40a02620e90cf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.61743f3a65a28264caa4144b2d0a1a1f.jpeg

3 hours ago, RobInMN said:

We are on AmaMagna, and were surprised with an upgrade from an AB to an SA.

Here is the Robe and slippers. Robe seems very nice. Very thick and plush. I just don't do robes, and my wife travels with a thin robe that she prefers.

And to answer the original question, no reason to bring anything special for dinner, with the possible exception of the Captain's dinner, which is tomorrow night. So we'll see. I brought a sports coat.

BTW, this ship is amazing. And this room is incredible.

image.thumb.jpeg.1835851fbcf64e78cbd40a02620e90cf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.61743f3a65a28264caa4144b2d0a1a1f.jpeg

Nice!  I love the plush robes.  But, we have several hotel nights so will have a lightweight robe as well. Not sure what mid-May will be like on the Rhone. 

On Ama, folks get dressed a little nicer for the tasting menu which is in a gorgeous room. 

You might find pax who packed simple and wear the same outfit all day. We prefer to take a quick shower after touring and change into fresh clothes. Generally biz casual for dinner. We found this to be the usual for any line we used. 

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

On Ama, folks get dressed a little nicer for the tasting menu which is in a gorgeous room. 

You might find pax who packed simple and wear the same outfit all day. We prefer to take a quick shower after touring and change into fresh clothes. Generally biz casual for dinner. We found this to be the usual for any line we used. 

We definitely freshen up before dinner. Since we’re coming off the QM2 we will nicer attire for a night or two. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

4 hours ago, lhsail said:

We definitely freshen up before dinner. Since we’re coming off the QM2 we will nicer attire for a night or two. 

Chef's table. yes, that's true. I've seen people dress a little nicer.

In late June, early July in 2019, when it was unusually hot for Europe, we also freshened up. So sweaty. Keeping a fresh set of clothes or 2 for dinner just helped make you feel better. But that's not an issue at the moment. It's pretty cool. Can't say I've seen anyone change for dinner yet. Tonight is the Captain's dinner. We'll change for that, and I assume I'll see most people do that as well. We'll see.

9 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Thanks for that info Got2Cruise,

I have some dressier tops and trousers and a blingy pair of sandals already packed so I think I’m good to go now. Hubby has a jacket and tie, just in case he feels the need to dress up for the captain.

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But there are many older ships (on the oceans, if not rivers) with shower curtains – and we (Yanks) still don't understand how Europeans take a shower with a half-enclosure and keep from flooding the bathroom floor.

Well I did write 'river cruise boat'.  I don't understand the second part of the sentence, unless it's referring to a half glass closure on a bath with a shower attachment. If Americans cannot help flooding the bathroom floor then I suppose it shows European sophistication

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

In answer to your meta question:  wine stores can't hire all the creative writing majors

😁 Good one !! 

Regarding the use of 'enclosed', maybe it has a different meaning in the US but I understand 'enclosed' as meaning surrounded or closed off on all sides. The showers on AMA definitely do not have glass walls on all sides, as one is the hull of the ship. If that was glass then passers-by would be able to see @Kristal Blade and @Ihsail at their ablutions 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Thanks for that info Got2Cruise,

I have some dressier tops and trousers and a blingy pair of sandals already packed so I think I’m good to go now. Hubby has a jacket and tie, just in case he feels the need to dress up for the captain.

Yes! You dress up as much or little as you feel like. Nobody judges. 

2 hours ago, pontac said:

Well I did write 'river cruise boat'.  I don't understand the second part of the sentence, unless it's referring to a half glass closure on a bath with a shower attachment. If Americans cannot help flooding the bathroom floor then I suppose it shows European sophistication

😁 Good one !! 

Regarding the use of 'enclosed', maybe it has a different meaning in the US but I understand 'enclosed' as meaning surrounded or closed off on all sides. The showers on AMA definitely do not have glass walls on all sides, as one is the hull of the ship. If that was glass then passers-by would be able to see @Kristal Blade and @Ihsail at their ablutions 

Ooh my, I would need to shower wearing my plush Terry!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I absolutely hate shower curtains they move and stick to your body when showering, yuk.

I agree with you, but.....

American hotels have them weighted and even better some have magnets in the hem that affix the bottom of the curtain to the side of the bath tub.

But without magnets or weights as the hot water from the shower heats the air around you it rises and cooler air rushed in to take its place wrapping the curtain around ones body..

@Host Jazzbeau thanks, I guess you had to approve my earlier post that quoted your post that contained a certain word ...

It's all getting a bit met*, isn't it?

* pick a letter of  the alphabet, any letter you like, but the first is correct. 🙂

7 hours ago, pontac said:

thanks, I guess you had to approve my earlier post that quoted your post that contained a certain word ...

No, your clever use of dyslexia got you past the bot.  I would bring all this up with my Metaphysics Counselor, but that would be carping...

OK, so here is my report from the Captain's Dinner.

I'd guess 80% dressed nicer than usual.

10% of men had sports coats

1 person (me) had a tie.🤣 

We're on again next week with a lot more people (still not full). Next week, no tie for me. We'll see if that crowd is any different.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No, your clever use of dyslexia got you past the bot

Your content has been approved
Hi pontac,
Your post in a topic was approved

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcontent.invisioncic.com%2Fj283755%2Fmonthly_2019_06%2Fkirwan-small.thumb.png.7a910414ee4ec409fdfdb0ee9bd181be.png&t=1680443782&ymreqid=e21fe364-bd57-d953-1c7d-bc000101a500&sig=wo9ugMKg1BLooLjHcHPAOw--~D  
Posted in Attire reality

Well I did write 'river cruise boat'.  I don't understand the second 

I don't think it was mine, but your use in the section of your post that I quoted.

Unfortunately the message from CC Central doesn't give the reason the post raised flags, or which word was approved

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

what no tie, so non u, one has got to keep up appearances you know

Regardless of what others are wearing, I like to dress for the evening and I wear a proper shirt with a tie and jacket (and just to head-off ribald comments long trousers also). All the passengers are, at last, smart casual. Of course, that's on Viking, obviously they attract a classier clientele.  😁

Edited by pontac
  • Haha 1

But of course no argument although one is so surprised you’re old enough for long trousers so no long socks. 
Sorry can’t find an emoji for tongue in cheek. 
I really do appreciate a man who dresses for the occasion and a lady. Either is to be applauded if their other half is lacking in that department. Personally I love putting on the ritz for a special event.

I’m on board now! Our ship is lovely. AmaStella has great decor, which we have added to with our Easter embellishments. 
live had a shower using my spa quality toiletries (Pure Herbs) so I now smell amazing. I love the soap embedded with petals. Haven’t worn my plush terry yet, it is more of a waffle with a cotton lining. Not opened the slippers yet either.

Nice surprise - we get 2 free bags of laundry!

Tonight I have on my blingy sandals, silky trousers and a nice top. Hubby is wearing a linen shirt, no tie or jacket.

Off for a pre prandial libation.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Hope he doesn’t forget his trews 🤣
I’m glad someone else likes a little bling. 

Fortunately he remembered his trews!

Had a lovely dinner. Four courses of delicious food. Fun with Australian table mates. We didn’t realise APT was an Australian company!