Classic Package/Martini Bar

Julma

I've never had the classic drink package.  I thought you could get a simple, smaller martini at the Martini Bar on the classic package.  I'll be on the Apex, is that the case?  TIA  

No. The bartenders are only allowed to make menu items. In the case of martinis, these are the larger ones.  The special Martini bar martinis are just that. For the Martini bar. Asking them to make a smaller version puts them in a bind of pleasing a customer  by making an off menu drink.  Smaller,  regular martinis at available at any other bar. 

• Like 1

When the Martini Bar has been busy I have seen them refuse to make the smaller martini’s that would be covered by the classic drink package.  Also the Martini Uses Grey Goose which is not on the classic package.  To summarize — YMMV but do not be upset if they say no. 

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

On some ships they do make the small martinis from the Captains Club drink menu during Happy Hour.  

If they do that. The people paying for  premium liquor martinis won't be able to be served. They won't do this if busy. And shouldn't be asked to.

On our last cruise,  our letter outlining our elite benefits said the drinks were not available at the Martini bar and in restaurants.

Edited by bookitdanno
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jelayne said:

On some ships they do make the small martinis from the Captains Club drink menu during Happy Hour.  

I think the CC mini martinis are pre-mixed and stored in a bottle. My guess is they use the well vodka and not the grey goose for these. At least that's what it looked like to me on our Oct cruise when we didn't have a drink package.  

Edited by kathynorth

2 minutes ago, bookitdanno said:

If they do that. The people paying for  premium liquor martinis won't be able to be served. They won't do this if busy. And shouldn't be asked to. 

See post right above this one.

Edited by kathynorth

45 minutes ago, bookitdanno said:

No. The bartenders are only allowed to make menu items. In the case of martinis, these are the larger ones.  The special Martini bar martinis are just that. For the Martini bar. Asking them to make a smaller version puts them in a bind of pleasing a customer  by making an off menu drink.  Smaller,  regular martinis at available at any other bar. 

Have not found this to be true is the bartenders are not that busy.  Bartenders can make pretty much any drink you order.  They are not restricted to only making those on the menu.

I do not care for martinis.   They have often made my DW a smaller version and poured me a glass on wine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Have not found this to be true is the bartenders are not that busy.  Bartenders can make pretty much any drink you order.  They are not restricted to only making those on the menu.

I do not care for martinis.   They have often made my DW a smaller version and poured me a glass on wine.

I was talking about making their specialty martinis. They are happy to make G&T and anything else.

In my opinion, asking them to make a small version of a specialty martini so one pays less is like going to a specialty restaurant and asking for a smaller portion, and expecting them to charge less. As far as happy hour, that is their busiest time with regular patrons. There are several bars where people can get the HH drinks, but only one Martini Bar with their specialties.

Just my opinion, YMMV

Edited by bookitdanno

Thanks for taking the time to answer.  I should have been clearer, but I thought I would keep it simple.  I've been on many Celebrity Cruises.  I've only ever had the PP and this time my husband and I have CP included.  Didn't want to upgrade, because with our status there's a lot of overlap, so figured included classic would be fine.  I've have seen people get smaller martinis at the Martini Bar.  They were not some of the fancier ones, but there were several choices and usually, if vodka,  made with Tito's. I'm fine with that, also fine with paying  the up-charge for premium martinis.  I spent 60 days on Celebrity last year, but that was with low passenger counts and before recent changes.  I guess I'll see for sure when I get on the Apex in April.  

• Like 2

Do some bartenders do it? Yes. Are they supposed to? No. On our last 3 cruises the bartenders at the martini bar wouldn’t make the small ones. People were told that they had to pay the up charge. Eventually they will all stop doing it,  but for now some still are. Don’t go on the cruise expecting that you will definitely be able to get it because you might be disappointed if they say no

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mduffy1834 said:

yes - smaller martinis with the classic drink package

Not according to the bartenders on Constellation several weeks ago. No more small martinis are to be served from the martini bar. Orders from Corporate. Things are changing. 

Side note- I was able to go the the bar upstairs and get a lemon drop martini covered by the classic package. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

On our last cruise,  our letter outlining our elite benefits said the drinks were not available at the Martini bar and in restaurants.

I can’t disagree with you which is why I said on some ships.  A ship sailing with 4- 600 total passengers will do things differently than a full ship with 500 - 600 Elites wanting to hang out at the Martini Bar.

9 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

Do some bartenders do it? Yes. Are they supposed to? No. On our last 3 cruises the bartenders at the martini bar wouldn’t make the small ones. People were told that they had to pay the up charge. Eventually they will all stop doing it,  but for now some still are. Don’t go on the cruise expecting that you will definitely be able to get it because you might be disappointed if they say no

a $5 tip to the bartender works wonders 🍹🍹😜

On Constellation last October they would not make a smaller martini. Even though it was early-ish on departure day and the bar was about half-full. 

I'm glad this thread came up because prior to cruising last fall I asked if they would make a smaller martini and was assured that they would. The bartender was a bit rude, so I felt uncomfortable for asking....

• Like 1

I don't think the policy is fleetwide.  On Apex, there were a few of the martinis on the menu that they offered with the classic package. It also didn't seem like they were "stretching" the rules to serve it. It seems like many reports about them flat out saying no to people are the M or S class ships.

On the Edge in January, DH asked for a gin martini (not a specialty martini) at the Martini Bar and specifically said, “I have the Classic Package.” The bartender acknowledged that. My invoice showed a $7.20 charge for that transaction. 

• Thanks 1

I was on the basic drink package, I usually ask for a "Tito's Martini" because I don't want the cheap no-brand vodka, and I don't want to be charged extra for Grey Goose.  There was a $5.00 up charge for my martini at the Martini bar.  My wife got a Cosmo, and noticed they made it with Grey Goose and still charged me the $5.00 up charge.  

I found that both Eden and the bar next to the pizza station at the buffet made good martini's.  They used smaller glasses than the martini bar and did not charge the up charge. (IOW, it was covered by my "classic beverage package" at no cost).

Some of the bartenders didn't seem to even know what a martini was.  I got one at the sunset bar and he mixed it with half Tito's and half vermouth.  It was undrinkable.

Edited by industrious95

@Julma, you might want to look into the price to upgrade from the classic to the premium package with your loyalty discount (15% for Elite) by calling the Captain’s Club number on the website. I did that recently and thought the cost was reasonable when you consider all the other items that are included (fresh juices, etc.), not having the looming question of whether your drink will incur a charge, and having access to the brands you may prefer. Your decision, of course, on whether you think it’s worth the cost.