New to the Oceania - looking for info/advice

iaae22

On 4/11/2023 at 2:55 PM, AlexCherie said:

We've only just taken our maiden voyage on O, and there's a bunch of good advise from other posters.

Some of my thoughts ...

* Avoid dining in the specialty dining rooms on consecutive nights. Don't get me wrong - the food is wonderful. You might find your system overwhelmed, is all.
* Spend some quality time in the library.
* Exhale (a lot!0, and don't feel the need to hurry. Fewer guests really is a decompression you might not fully understand if you've done lots of mass affluent ships in the 3500 passenger class.

But most of all ...

The people are just phenomenal. It was one of the best parts of our trip, just chilling with other guests. We found a lot of joy in those conversations - I think you'll see a high level of O loyalty aboard.  

I found everything else I'd endured at sea to be a false economy. Enjoy!

We really enjoy getting a coffee at Baristas after breakfast and sitting in the Library while drinking it. It is very relaxing. But it is a very busy spot on a sea day! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 1:20 PM, takemewithyou said:

@Jancruz and others who may be “ in the know”, does anyone have any insight on when Marina refit is being done?  We sail on Marina TA 11/20/23 and had once heard the refit would be done prior.

It is now scheduled for May/June 2024

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ljones said:

Rather than bring alcohol onboard, is there a 'Happy Hour' time or place on Riviera?

Yes 🙂 It is usually 5-6 pm and after the evening show (9:30-10:30 ish?). The times and locations will be listed in the daily Currents. The drinks are from the regular bar menu (there are a bunch of special drink menus) and you get two of the same drink for the price of one. It's a great place to meet new people.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 6:58 AM, MEFIowa said:

Having cruised on Riviera (12/2021) and Sirena (11/2022), the only "conflict" is that O hates saying "No" or telling passengers they did anything "wrong". So you'll see all the discussions about "dress code" and possible violations of same, for example. Or how they "handle" disembarkation procedures. Etc. What O says and what O does are often two different things in these areas. So they have the minimum "CYA" language in such things as the "Alcohol Policy" in the FAQ, in case they need to.

Just wait till your final embarkation. They seemingly go to trouble to list various classes of who gets off when. But then it happens and it is a cluster foxtrot. People just got in line, regardless of their disembarkation class and get off. O won't enforce its stated procedure. They rely on passengers. And overlook most "violations". THANKFULLY it mostly works. And you just learn the "system". 

the disembarkation procedure has me worried.  I. have never cruised before and am going on Oceania Riviera in September.  I will need to disembark around 6 am instead of the 8 am time that is listed on my itinerary.  does anybody have any idea if this is possible?  we will miss flights if not.  

17 minutes ago, vlaugtug said:

the disembarkation procedure has me worried.  I. have never cruised before and am going on Oceania Riviera in September.  I will need to disembark around 6 am instead of the 8 am time that is listed on my itinerary.  does anybody have any idea if this is possible?  we will miss flights if not.  

Is the ship doing an overnight in port the night before disembarkation?

29 minutes ago, vlaugtug said:

It probably will not be an issue as you are there overnight  

You may have to take your own bags off   check once onboard  what the procedure will be

I would not put the bags in the hall  the night before

19 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It probably will not be an issue as you are there overnight  

You may have to take your own bags off   check once onboard  what the procedure will be

I would not put the bags in the hall  the night before

thank you .. I read somewhere to keep our bags with us..I hope this all works..I appreciate your answer!

26 minutes ago, vlaugtug said:

thank you .. I read somewhere to keep our bags with us..I hope this all works..I appreciate your answer!

You may also want to pre book a taxi for that early  departure  most do not show up until 8ish

On 4/28/2023 at 6:21 PM, Rally said:

With the premium package I have purchased the only difference is if I want a cocktail in my cabin I will need to call room service jot wander out to a bar and bring it back.

This is a little bit off the subject, but I thought I read that if you have a liquor package, if you order a room service drink, you will be charged for it and the package will not be applied (actually, I think this might be from another cruise line chat...I am going between 2 lines currently..)🤔

24 minutes ago, PSR said:

This is a little bit off the subject, but I thought I read that if you have a liquor package, if you order a room service drink, you will be charged for it and the package will not be applied (actually, I think this might be from another cruise line chat...I am going between 2 lines currently..)🤔

Other cruise line - 

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2023 at 7:12 PM, Sabbycat said:

We really enjoy getting a coffee at Baristas after breakfast and sitting in the Library while drinking it. It is very relaxing. But it is a very busy spot on a sea day! 

Soft leather chairs, hot coffee and biscuits, a good book, sunshine, quiet. What could be better?

We didn't find this out until late in our cruise ... I went onboard salivating about dining at the wonderful restaurants. 

You know what?

On any given night you can enjoy as much lobster, shrimp, steak and lamb as you can consume at the top of the stair case, looking out at the wake of the ship in the night air. Without worrying or thinking about your waiter. 

We won't ever forget that. A trip of a lifetime.

• Like 2

On any given night you can enjoy as much lobster, shrimp, steak and lamb as you can consume at the top of the stair case, looking out at the wake of the ship in the night air.”

is this in Barristas?  Every night starting about when?  Thanks

9 minutes ago, Rally said:

On any given night you can enjoy as much lobster, shrimp, steak and lamb as you can consume at the top of the stair case, looking out at the wake of the ship in the night air.”

in the  Terrace   opens at 6:30 pm -9pm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

in the  Terrace   opens at 6:30 pm -9pm

Somehow I missed reading about this place for dinner. From the menu , I could dine there every night!! 😊

4 minutes ago, Rally said:

Somehow I missed reading about this place for dinner. From the menu , I could dine there every night!! 😊

A lot of people  do 😉

The cook to order grill is part of the buffet  restaurant

• Thanks 2

@AlexCherie

We won't ever forget that. A trip of a lifetime.

It is what we thought too but now 15+ years later, a trip of a lifetime has become a passion and 25 Oceania cruises later. A trip a year sometimes has turned into more and then when lots of friends get involved, it is even more fun.

Just  enjoy yourselves and plan to test out Vista, she REALLY LOOKS AMAZING. 

Mauibabes

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ljones said:

Thanks for the info.  Are you allowed to bring a bar drink to dinner?

YES

sometimes  the waiter in Martinis or Grand Bar will carry it to the GDR for you

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rally said:

Sorry poorly crafted. Yes, just behind The Terrace Cafe where they serve Lobster and Steak there is a staircase leading down one floor. If you need to arrive early to grab it - but it's literally the best seat in the house.

Steps from the grill and desserts, looking down the staircase you see the wake of the ship. It's divine.

Edited by AlexCherie
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

sometimes  the waiter in Martinis or Grand Bar will carry it to the GDR for you

Maybe would require assistance if I'd already HAD 2 drinks + 1 more w/ 1 'to go' but not a likely scenario...  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

Sorry poorly crafted. Yes, just behind The Terrace Cafe where they serve Lobster and Steak there is a staircase leading down one floor. If you need to arrive early to grab it - but it's literally the best seat in the house.

Steps from the grill and desserts, looking down the staircase you see the wake of the ship. It's divine.

What ship is  the secret  spot on?

I thought  the deck below the Terrace  were  PH or OC  suites?

20 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

Yeah, what Lyn said above, and I'm pretty sure that staircase is a butler passageway. If you went down there and sat at a table you were probably on an Oceania Suite balcony, depending on which ship you were on. No doubt you'd have to go early to grab it.