New to the Oceania - looking for info/advice

iaae22

@SonuvaBeach

The first answer to your reservation question is what stateroom category did you book as various levels have different booking reservations dates. ie. PH is 75 days out, Veranda 60 days and others at 45 days. Also if PH and above, your Room Service dinners can be from a Specialty restaurant and your Butler can assist you with additional reservations, dates and times. 
Welcome to Oceania and enjoy your experience. While you may want a Two top, sometimes sharing a table can be the way to get that desired reservation time and restaurant. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

it  depends  on how many others want a 2 top  at that time

I would say  in the Specialties  that is prime time  so maybe  an issue

Dinners seem to take 1.5 to 2 hrs  average so the turnover is not as fast  then

We have had 6:30 res & are still there at 8pm

GDR  should not be  a problem they have lots of 2 tops

JMO

Thank you!

On 3/8/2023 at 4:23 PM, WayneLaR said:

I'm curious about your statement about beer and spirits when in port.  O's FAQ says wine only when embarking, and they also say that any alcohol purchases made in port will be held for you "in bond" until the end of the cruise.  It would appear they don't enforce those restrictions, or their FAQ is incorrect and needs to be revised.

That is what I was lead to believe as well and not only on Oceania. 

On 3/8/2023 at 2:23 PM, WayneLaR said:

I'm curious about your statement about beer and spirits when in port.  O's FAQ says wine only when embarking, and they also say that any alcohol purchases made in port will be held for you "in bond" until the end of the cruise.  It would appear they don't enforce those restrictions, or their FAQ is incorrect and needs to be revised.

I believe if you do a search,  people have posted pictures from "Currents", the daily newspaper/activity paper" received while onboard,  where it clearly states that bringing liquor (of any kind) onboard from a port is acceptable as long it is for in cabin consumption.  

I also believe the verbage in the FAQ is "may" be held until end of cruise, not "will" be held.  People who have sailed many times on O have related their experiences (recently) which is liquor (no many how many bottles) is not confiscated nor needs to be hidden to bring aboard.  We often bring a case of wine onboard, slap a label on the box clearly indicating it is wine, hand to the porter with our luggage and it appears in our stateroom.  We also have brought back wine, spirits and beer in a port in a transparent bag, handed to the crew member for scanning and taken to our room.

I believe O keeps the stated policy so that if they have a problem with someone bringing alcohol on board and consuming in the public places (against O policy) or is being a public nuisance due to consuming too much alcohol, they can site the policy and remove the liquor from their cabin and "hold" until they disembark.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, flgus said:

Is it true that you can make additional specialty restaurant reservations during the cruise on a space available basis?

Yes...on our ten day cruise we had eight specialty restaurant reservations. We were in a PH so our butler helped with some but we did two extra on our own. We always say we are willing to share. 

• Like 1

Oceania is very good about making extra Specialty reservations available based on the evenings availability. We have often spent 9 of 10 nights of a cruise dining in a Specialty restaurant. DW LOVES Jacques Chicken in GDR. Even on a 35 or 46 day trip, it is common to dine in one 65-70% of the time because there was availability. Sailing on Riviera or Marina seemed like there was more opportunity but even on an R ship, we still had excellent access to the Specialties. Whether you are stopping by the Reservation Desk or just dropping by the specific restaurants you want to dine in that evening, if you check after the rush, like 8:00, my guess is you will be seated if there are vacant tables.  Yes, the Maitre d’s do know you have been there multiple times and where you have dined but they are very accommodating. We had one Maitre d who offered us a table for 6 Every Night so be kind and ask nicely and you never know what benefits await you. 
Mauibabes

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MnDAL said:

A laundry question:

I see we get complimentary laundry service. Can anyone tell me the turn-around time for a "bundle"?

three days and a bundle is 20 items

Jancruz1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 1:23 PM, WayneLaR said:

Me, too.  Can I bring a bottle of a single malt (for example) on board to drink in my cabin?  As the OP says the FAQs say no.

34 minutes ago, Rally said:

Me, too.  Can I bring a bottle of a single malt (for example) on board to drink in my cabin?  As the OP says the FAQs say no.

You can bring all of the beer, wine, liquor, spirits you want on board at embarkation and at ports - for consumption in your cabin.....only wine can be taken out of the cabin for consumption in a dining venue for a $25.00 corkage fee.....

Edited by basor
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, basor said:

You can bring all of the beer, wine, liquor, spirits you want on board at embarkation and at ports - for consumption in your cabin.....only wine can be taken out of the cabin for consumption in a dining venue for a $25.00 corkage fee.....

Thank you. So the FAQs are incorrect?  I have purchased a premium drink package but just for fun . . . How often do you think a wee bit of vodka or gin spills into a water glass on the way out of the suite? 😉

32 minutes ago, Rally said:

Thank you. So the FAQs are incorrect?  I have purchased a premium drink package but just for fun . . . How often do you think a wee bit of vodka or gin spills into a water glass on the way out of the suite? 😉

The FAQ's have been used as a tool by Oceania if they have someone that is abusing the alcohol policy by taking the spirits outside of their cabin or are abusing alcohol consumption.

Oceania is one of the few cruise lines that have such a liberal bringing alcohol on board policy - no confiscation, no trying to sneak liquor on board, no "naughty" room.   If people start abusing this policy by " a wee bit of vodka or gin or a glass of wine" out to the public rooms or to meals then they will stop the policy and we all lose.  Please enjoy your spirits in your cabin or on your verandah as requested... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, basor said:

The FAQ's have been used as a tool by Oceania if they have someone that is abusing the alcohol policy by taking the spirits outside of their cabin or are abusing alcohol consumption.

Oceania is one of the few cruise lines that have such a liberal bringing alcohol on board policy - no confiscation, no trying to sneak liquor on board, no "naughty" room.   If people start abusing this policy by " a wee bit of vodka or gin or a glass of wine" out to the public rooms or to meals then they will stop the policy and we all lose.  Please enjoy your spirits in your cabin or on your verandah as requested... 

that is great info, makes sense, and thanks. I merely posted a hypothetical not something I would do. I’m used to Crystal’s policy which provides each guest with a bottle of their choice upon embarking to be consumed when and where the guest chooses. It can be wine, champagne or hard spirits, and replenished if requested. With the premium package I have purchased the only difference is if I want a cocktail in my cabin I will need to call room service jot wander out to a bar and bring it back. No big deal. I was mostly interested in the conflict between your comment and the FAQ and you answered that for me. Thank you. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rally said:

that is great info, makes sense, and thanks. I merely posted a hypothetical not something I would do. I’m used to Crystal’s policy which provides each guest with a bottle of their choice upon embarking to be consumed when and where the guest chooses. It can be wine, champagne or hard spirits, and replenished if requested. With the premium package I have purchased the only difference is if I want a cocktail in my cabin I will need to call room service jot wander out to a bar and bring it back. No big deal. I was mostly interested in the conflict between your comment and the FAQ and you answered that for me. Thank you. 

Yes - Crystal was an all inclusive so liquor in any form was already included in your cruise fare. Since Oceania gives choices - there are different scenarios,  Those that choose to purchase the Premium beverage package from Oceania have the same open liquor policy as Crystal.  

53 minutes ago, basor said:

Those that choose to purchase the Premium beverage package from Oceania have the same open liquor policy as Crystal.  

I think Oceania has more drink  options on the premium package than Crystal had

I like some cocktails  the only  one the bartenders on Crystal knew how to make were Grasshoppers or Pina coladas

If you just want spirits with a mixer they could handle that OK

JME

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think Oceania has more drink  options on the premium package than Crystal had

I like some cocktails  the only  one the bartenders on Crystal knew how to make were Grasshoppers or Pina coladas

If you just want spirits with a mixer they could handle that OK

JME

That wasn’t our experience at all. The included spirits were top shelf and more and the bartenders very expert, professional and friendly. On our last. Crystal cruise, for example (about 2018) there was a “gin and tonic” menu with 11 variation and 4 choices of tonic. I never came up with a drink they couldn’t make quickly and well. There is no need to build up one company by belittling another. I look forward to my first Oceania cruise. It will be different than my last Crystal cruise. That’s what makes the world go ‘round. 😊

22 minutes ago, Rally said:

That wasn’t our experience at all. The included spirits were top shelf and more and the bartenders very expert, professional and friendly. On our last. Crystal cruise, for example (about 2018) there was a “gin and tonic” menu with 11 variation and 4 choices of tonic. I never came up with a drink they couldn’t make quickly and well. There is no need to build up one company by belittling another.

HUH??

Sorry but  I asked  3 different barmen in 3 different bars if they could make  a Pink Squirrel

sorry NO  from 2 of them

The 3 rd barman said if I told him the ingredients he would try

It is  a standard cocktail on Oceania  among other classic cocktails

Another lady asked for  a  cocktail  but  the barman told her to look it up on the  internet  & bring the recipe  he would try

this was 2019

Glad they know how to pour you gin with a tonic  for you

12 hours ago, Rally said:

... I was mostly interested in the conflict between your comment and the FAQ and you answered that for me.

Having cruised on Riviera (12/2021) and Sirena (11/2022), the only "conflict" is that O hates saying "No" or telling passengers they did anything "wrong". So you'll see all the discussions about "dress code" and possible violations of same, for example. Or how they "handle" disembarkation procedures. Etc. What O says and what O does are often two different things in these areas. So they have the minimum "CYA" language in such things as the "Alcohol Policy" in the FAQ, in case they need to.

Just wait till your final embarkation. They seemingly go to trouble to list various classes of who gets off when. But then it happens and it is a cluster foxtrot. People just got in line, regardless of their disembarkation class and get off. O won't enforce its stated procedure. They rely on passengers. And overlook most "violations". THANKFULLY it mostly works. And you just learn the "system". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Having cruised on Riviera (12/2021) and Sirena (11/2022), the only "conflict" is that O hates saying "No" or telling passengers they did anything "wrong". So you'll see all the discussions about "dress code" and possible violations of same, for example. Or how they "handle" disembarkation procedures. Etc. What O says and what O does are often two different things in these areas. So they have the minimum "CYA" language in such things as the "Alcohol Policy" in the FAQ, in case they need to.

Just wait till your final embarkation. They seemingly go to trouble to list various classes of who gets off when. But then it happens and it is a cluster foxtrot. People just got in line, regardless of their disembarkation class and get off. O won't enforce its stated procedure. They rely on passengers. And overlook most "violations". THANKFULLY it mostly works. And you just learn the "system". 

As a newbie, would love to hear other examples that we need to prepare for!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MnDAL said:

As a newbie, would love to hear other examples that we need to prepare for!

Here's a "fun" one. Watch the loungers on the pool deck by the pool. See if anyone tries to reserve one or leaves their things on one for hours while they are away. O explicitly says you're not allowed to do that. But some do anyway. And O can struggle to enforce the rule. For that means upsetting the rule violator.

@MnDAL

Preparation, just be flexible and make sure you wear knickers that don’t twist 🤪🙏 

Embarkation, people do not pay attention to their reservation times so there is a large group at the very beginning. Some posters here suggest arriving after lunch and it is pretty quick.

If in a PH or above, there will be dedicated lines and that helps the process. you are on ships that max at 1200 so it is not a mass of humanity. Remember every port handles embarking and debarking differently and Oceania is not “in charge” of the port, just do as directed.  

Check in at your Muster Station on your way aboard so you are checked off, then head for the Terrace Cafe and start enjoying yourselves. 

Kill some time before your Stateroom is available by checking out the ship.  With a new ship in the mix next weekend, lots of people will be doing familiarization walks. 

Get to know your Stateroom Stewards and Butler if you have one.  They are wonderful people who love to be helpful. Let them, especially the Butler’s. 

After you board, if you need to adjust or request Specialty reservations, head directly to the Reservation Desk on Deck 5. Often that first night’s reservations have availability so you might be able to snag an extra one based on availability. Be flexible on the time. 

You will hear lots more so this will get you started. 

Enjoy and welcome to the Oceania family.

Mauibabes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/9/2023 at 6:08 AM, PhD-iva said:

Another great thing about Oceania is you have the ability to bring alcohol on board for consumption in your cabin. For a reasonable $25 corkage fee you can take a bottle of wine to a restaurant and they will serve you during your meal and they will save any unused portion for later.

New to considering Oceania, pleased to hear you can bring alcohol on board in ports.  I like to buy unique wines (NZ) and alcohol to take home (limited to what is allowed duty free), not to drink on board.  

• Thanks 1