Harmony stateroom lights/AC - card needed?

Is a keycard needed for lights and AC to work? If so, will a hotel key or something along those lines work? I tend to keep my room key in my little clutch whenever possible so I don't end up leaving it behind.

12 minutes ago, mspink98 said:

Is a keycard needed for lights and AC to work? If so, will a hotel key or something along those lines work? I tend to keep my room key in my little clutch whenever possible so I don't end up leaving it behind.

Room steward will give you a little white plastic card to use. 

• Like 1

I use the hotel room key that I was given at the hotel the night before embarkation.  If I don't stay at a hotel the night before, I use my DAV card and hope I don't forget it, haven't so far.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We keep lights on at night  and AC on 24/7. Left a business card in the slot when we were out, room steward replaced it with a plan white plastic card that stayed in the slot for the entire cruise. 

Why would you leave lights on in your cabin at night and why would you leave a/c on in a room you weren't in?  What a waste of energy resources.

Technically, all one needs to do is cut/tear out a piece of cardboard from a Coke (or whatever) carton.  It doesn't matter what the shape is as long as it goes all the way into the receptacle.  

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The electrical system control yes, the stateroom attendant leaving cards in the slot, is very YMMV.

Yep.  I doubt seriously that the official policy of RCCL is for the Steward(s) to leave a card in slots to defeat the system they have installed.  

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Why would you leave lights on in your cabin at night and why would you leave a/c on in a room you weren't in?  What a waste of energy resources.

When we leave the house at night to go to dinner we leave a few lights on.  Keep the AC on at home, set a little higher,  even though we are out for a few hours during the day.  Water my grass three times a week even though we are in Souther California and in a major drought.. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, little britain said:

I just want a light or two on and the AC to not be set to "bake" when we get back at night. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

When we leave the house at night to go to dinner we leave a few lights on.  Keep the AC on at home, set a little higher,  even though we are out for a few hours during the day.  Water my grass three times a week even though we are in Souther California and in a major drought.. 

This is my home as it looks when I'm not at home.  There are also 5 or 6 security lights that come on when motion is detected, one is solar-powered.  If I'm out for only an hour or two or three, it takes more energy to get the house back to the desired temp if I shut the HVAC off and then on again when I come home again:

May be an image of 1 person, tree, sky and text that says 'Photo by: J-MAR PRODUCTIONS Oxford, Alabama Mar 08,2023 06:08:28 PM'

21 hours ago, little britain said:

Because their a/c sucks and certainly wouldn't want to start from scratch every time I entered the room. These rooms are NEVER cold enough for me.

• Like 3