Choosing An Ocean Cruise Line After Only Taking Uniworld River Cruises....

Caligirl58

Jazz, the description of the informal nights does not match the reality of any of the SS cruises I’ve been on.  Over the last 10 years male pax on informal nights are increasingly not conforming to the jacket requirement.  I also see fewer dresses on informal nights.  But is a jacket that hard to swing?  If you have one fairly dark one you should be able to manage it for formal and informal nights.

Also, I didn’t know SS had an evening buffet.  Is that something new?  If you mean La Terrazza then there is only a buffet for breakfast and lunch, not dinner.  It’s table service for dinner, unless that has changed.

7 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

But is a jacket that hard to swing?  

No, it's the principle of the thing.  I didn't know I was booking a 1950s Time Machine.  We avoid Cunard for precisely this reason.

• Like 1

After so many threads on this topic I’m so surprised you didn’t have a good understanding of the “official” dress code.  I’m sorry to hear you’re already feeling disappointed with your booking.  Is it too late to cancel if it’s that much of an issue?

15 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Jazz, the description of the informal nights does not match the reality of any of the SS cruises I’ve been on.  Over the last 10 years male pax on informal nights are increasingly not conforming to the jacket requirement.  I also see fewer dresses on informal nights.  But is a jacket that hard to swing?  If you have one fairly dark one you should be able to manage it for formal and informal nights.

Also, I didn’t know SS had an evening buffet.  Is that something new?  If you mean La Terrazza then there is only a buffet for breakfast and lunch, not dinner.  It’s table service for dinner, unless that has changed.

They don't offer an evening buffet. So it is still a full service Italian Restaurant for dinner. I ate there multiple times for dinner in January on The Dawn.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Preparing for our first Silversea cruise next January, I am finding that it is indeed VERY formal.  It's not just the formal nights [3 on our cruise] – most other nights are 'informal' which is still formal to me [jacket required] and on formal nights even the buffet restaurant requires a jacket for me.  And after dinner, jacket is still required!  I am already regretting making this booking, and am pretty sure Silversea will be 'one and done' for us!

From the Silversea website:

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin on board Silver Spirit, Kaiseki on board Muse, Moon and Dawn. Dining at The Grill and Spaccanapoli is optional casual all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required.

Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below [omitted from quote] provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Please note: On 7 day [I assume they mean 7 night] sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and Alaska, formal night is always optional; guests may choose to dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen.

https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/general-information.html

😲Thank you for posting this, Jazzbeau.  These guidelines are definitely more formal than what we experienced on Uniworld.  By Silversea's definition, the dinner dress code on Uniworld would be considered "Casual".  Except for the Captain's Dinner, which would be considered "Informal".  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Caligirl58 said:

😲Thank you for posting this, Jazzbeau.  These guidelines are definitely more formal than what we experienced on Uniworld.  By Silversea's definition, the dinner dress code on Uniworld would be considered "Casual".  Except for the Captain's Dinner, which would be considered "Informal".  

Hi, that is why I mentioned river cruises being more casual. They really are casual every night. 

I guess dress codes are just different for a guy. I sail solo so for me? It is slacks and tops every night and I have never felt out of place. 

But I don't feel like SS is from the 1950's..........but that is just me.

• Like 3

Another element of “formality” is the inclusion of butler service, which many people enjoy and appreciate, but some of us prefer not to have this.  

I greatly enjoyed my Uniworld river cruise (2017 vintage), it ticked all the boxes for food, service, excellent guides, “like a local” opportunities, comfortable ship, and fun and companionable fellow travelers.  

I’ve also sailed with Oceania and Silversea, the latter was one of their expedition cruises.  I enjoyed Oceania a lot more than I thought I would, I’d worried that the ship (1200 pax) might be too big.  But it wasn’t, I never felt crowded, and that cruise also ticked all the boxes.  I really enjoyed the people I met on that cruise (Baltic).

While I enjoyed the Silversea expedition cruise (the itinerary was the Russian Far East and the Aleutian Islands), the mandatory assignment of the butler made me nuts.  I didn’t really have anything for him to do, and this made me feel guilty, to the point where I would try to avoid running into him, because he was always asking , “what can I do for you?”, and I never had an answer.  Then he started looking for things to do for me, like shining shoes and “straightening my room”.  When I finally did have something to ask him about (a camera issue), although he tried very hard to be helpful,  he wasn’t able to address the situation, and a fellow traveler provided assistance instead.  Honestly, this “hovering” is what has kept me from rebooking with Silversea, because otherwise I really like their product!  (And I thought that Silver Explorer was a sweet ship, just right in size.). So if you think the butler service feature would be “too much” for you, you might wish to keep that in mind, when looking at alternatives.  But if butler service sounds good to you, then Silversea has some really nice itineraries.

Perhaps because it was an expedition cruise, the Silversea “dress code” was not strictly abided by.  People wore what they were comfortable with, and many did dress “a little better” for the Captains Dinner.

22 hours ago, hbbae said:

Another element of “formality” is the inclusion of butler service, which many people enjoy and appreciate, but some of us prefer not to have this.  

I greatly enjoyed my Uniworld river cruise (2017 vintage), it ticked all the boxes for food, service, excellent guides, “like a local” opportunities, comfortable ship, and fun and companionable fellow travelers.  

I’ve also sailed with Oceania and Silversea, the latter was one of their expedition cruises.  I enjoyed Oceania a lot more than I thought I would, I’d worried that the ship (1200 pax) might be too big.  But it wasn’t, I never felt crowded, and that cruise also ticked all the boxes.  I really enjoyed the people I met on that cruise (Baltic).

While I enjoyed the Silversea expedition cruise (the itinerary was the Russian Far East and the Aleutian Islands), the mandatory assignment of the butler made me nuts.  I didn’t really have anything for him to do, and this made me feel guilty, to the point where I would try to avoid running into him, because he was always asking , “what can I do for you?”, and I never had an answer.  Then he started looking for things to do for me, like shining shoes and “straightening my room”.  When I finally did have something to ask him about (a camera issue), although he tried very hard to be helpful,  he wasn’t able to address the situation, and a fellow traveler provided assistance instead.  Honestly, this “hovering” is what has kept me from rebooking with Silversea, because otherwise I really like their product!  (And I thought that Silver Explorer was a sweet ship, just right in size.). So if you think the butler service feature would be “too much” for you, you might wish to keep that in mind, when looking at alternatives.  But if butler service sounds good to you, then Silversea has some really nice itineraries.

Perhaps because it was an expedition cruise, the Silversea “dress code” was not strictly abided by.  People wore what they were comfortable with, and many did dress “a little better” for the Captains Dinner.

hbbae - Thank you for reminding me about the 'butler aspect' of Silversea.  We have only taken two cruises - both Uniworld - and have never experienced butler service.  While I'm sure it would be a novelty, I think we would probably feel much like you do.  Also appreciate your impressions of Oceania, as they seem to have several itineraries we'd enjoy. 

On 3/15/2023 at 11:15 AM, hbbae said:

To me the butler on SS is really just a glorified cabin attendant but more available if you need him/her.  I’m finding it a little comical that anyone would feel it’s a burden or onerous to have extra staff willing to assist.  It’s very simple to establish right up front if you want minimal attention.  They work for you and no one should feel intimidated.  Honestly, I have very few requests but enjoy the nice little surprises a conscientious butler might provide.  I wouldn’t not  book with SS for that reason nor for the dress-code.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

To me the butler on SS is really just a glorified cabin attendant but more available if you need him/her.  I’m finding it a little comical that anyone would feel it’s a burden or onerous to have extra staff willing to assist.  It’s very simple to establish right up front if you want minimal attention.  They work for you and no one should feel intimidated.  Honestly, I have very few requests but enjoy the nice little surprises a conscientious butler might provide.  I wouldn’t not  book with SS for that reason nor for the dress-code.

I echo your Butler sentiments. I am very low maintenance. I actually tell him what I don't want.....coke, for example......they can take that out and Ginger Ale can go in there instead. 

But I have never had issues with the Butler hovering or continuing to ask "do you need anything". I mean sometimes they do that of course, but never to the point that it bothers me. I am pretty straight forward with what I need......another example is: I don't like a duvet (just too heavy for me) so I make sure they remove it and make the bed with a top sheet and blanket. 

But throughout the sailing? I may not even see my Butler every day and that is ok with me. 

The Butlers (usually) will do as much or as little as the guest wants.......well, that is how it has been in my case.

• Like 5

I agree with the recent comments that a Butler is an extra asset, not a burden – to be used or ignored as you wish.  We recognize that the cabin attendants have a heavy workload, so we are loathe to ask them for special things – that's right in the Butler's wheelhouse so we direct those requests there.  [And then if you want a little party to celebrate with your new shipboard friends, the Butler is invaluable!]

• Like 2

Some of the butlers we’ve had I could have happily packed in my suitcase to take home they were so good and unobtrusive. As said before a butler does what you want them to, a good butler is a boon to a super holiday but if you don’t use him or her don’t worry. Just enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Well … mine was “present” throughout the sailing, asking me once or twice a day (whenever I ran into him) if I needed anything.  All well-intentioned, and he was very nice, but after a while it started to feel like pressure.  .And yes, I had indicated to him upfront that I would not have any/many requests. 

As I said, I did enjoy the cruise.  But the assignment of a butler is a difference between the usual Uniworld river cruise experience (except in their suites) and Silversea, so I’d wanted to mention it, since Caligirl58 was looking at Silversea as a potential option and was interested in comparisons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, hbbae said:

Well … mine was “present” throughout the sailing, asking me once or twice a day (whenever I ran into him) if I needed anything.  All well-intentioned, and he was very nice, but after a while it started to feel like pressure.  .And yes, I had indicated to him upfront that I would not have any/many requests. 

As I said, I did enjoy the cruise.  But the assignment of a butler is a difference between the usual Uniworld river cruise experience (except in their suites) and Silversea, so I’d wanted to mention it, since Caligirl58 was looking at Silversea as a potential option and was interested in comparisons.

We did four Uniworld cruises, two with butlers and two without. We were always pretty low maintenance, but we still loved having the extra attention for the small extra services. I expect to have pretty minimal requirements for a butler on my Silversea cruises, but I am still looking forward to having one available just in the event that I do, in fact, need somehing.

• Like 2

I have only had butlers on Regent and it was two very different experiences. The first time was perfect. We asked for different beverages in our mini refrigerator and bar set up, but other than that we are very low-key and would let them know if we needed them. She was great. However I agree with @hbbae that the second one was there every time we went to our cabin. Very nice but not comfortable with that much individual attention.

On Uniworld, we once had a suite with a butler but this was just when the river cruises started back up in Europe and there was only 49 passengers on our cruise so almost 3 staff to passenger. I prefer a good cabin steward which we always have on river cruises. We even had a steward that had a glass of champagne on the table waiting for me when we would dress for dinner. Knowing I would bring one to the room the first couple of days. And that was on Viking with a swan window. (did not charge us for the glass).  

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/10/2023 at 1:59 PM, Caligirl58 said:

I will look forward to hearing your impressions of Silversea after your cruises.  Will definitely give it more consideration, as I had pretty much taken it out of the running based on the comments I had read about it being very formal.

Just circling back since I went on my expedition to Antarctica, the Falklands and South Georgia in November. Everything about it was outstanding, from the food and service to the expedition team and the briefings. And the ship was lovely. The dress was very casual, but more so than with a classic cruise since it was an expedition. (I’ve also heard that they are relaxing their dress code in general.) I actually ended up switching out the classic cruise I had booked for another expedition for this year and I’m also planning a return to Antarctica for next year. I was on Silver Endeavour and found the ship to be incredibly stable and didn’t get seasick at all. I took meclizine each day and found I didn’t need the patches although I had them with me.

• Like 1