PREMIER PASS - I have a new theory. What do you think?

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Look in your Cruise Planner.  Look at the blue navigation bar.  Look on the far right.  If the last word is Packages, that's it.  Click on it and you will see it.

It is only available on one of my 6 booked cruises.  It happens to be the only 2023 one.

6 minutes ago, njsmom said:

hahaha! or riding in the life boats instead of the ship! The only actual cost for them is the champagne, which I'm sure they buy a lot cheaper than the $65 I paid at retail, and the wine at the lunch or whatever it is. The food they'd give you in one form or another for a meal. And then there's the labor for the tour and laundry, which they're already paying people for their time on board, so that's already covered.

True but they are losing revenue from the internet.  89.00 for 2 is a great deal when it runs about 30.00 a day for 2 devices.

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

We know that after Richard Fain stepped down as CEO of Royal Caribbean, they named their new CEO:  The former CFO, Jason Liberty.

CFO??? I think that we all knew what was coming.  Sure enough, we have "new" MDR menus, cabin service once a day, cutbacks in C&A amenities................

Did anyone really think that RC wants us to have a "great deal" with this Premier Pass?

So, here's my theory.

Mr. PinchPenny wants to find out the reach of social media.

How much effect does social media have on purchase decisions?

He knew that Cruise Critic and Facebook would light up because of the release of this package at this price.

He wants to analyze the data.  (and possibly cut his losses by ending the promotion, or possibly claiming that it was a mistake and cancelling everything)

Your opinion?  

I hope you are right!  And I hope he will thank those of us who responded by allowing us to keep the packages. I have some doubts about this, but I certainly hope you are right!

7 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

This ‘package’ is available on my March 2024 cruise which was booked quite a while ago. It’s offered for $122 CDN..but being a solo, it’s not worth it. And I already receive laundry, internet and a few lunches for no cost.  Oddly, it’s not offered on my August 2023 cruise.  I hear that the champagne is very good..but I’m sure a glass of it is cheaper than $122! 😊

That blew my theory why it wasn’t showing up for me but is for other members of our fb group. Sailing on a 16 night transatlantic and extra WiFi and laundry would be nice 

1 hour ago, irishgal432 said:

True but they are losing revenue from the internet.  89.00 for 2 is a great deal when it runs about 30.00 a day for 2 devices.

they are still making money. I wouldn't pay for a stand alone internet package due to the high price. But I purchased the package because we want the ship tour and we also get the internet package and the wine (not that we like wine at all).

We will most likely not need the laundry, unless something weird happens, because we bring enough clothes and still pack very efficiently.

9 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The first two reports of “sold out” status are in - Wonder on November 12 and 26.  Waiting to see if an avalanche of sold out packages is beginning.  Sale of packages being stopped after 24 hours?

sold out on our April 2 oasis as well.

15 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The first two reports of “sold out” status are in - Wonder on November 12 and 26.  Waiting to see if an avalanche of sold out packages is beginning.  Sale of packages being stopped after 24 hours?

Yep, sold out here now too, October Mariner.

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

So, you are explaining why YOU don't want it.  What's the point of that?

The point is that it’s a different perspective from a solo’s point of view.  Why get all snotty about my perspective, what’s the point of that?

• Like 1

My two cents: It's a clever marketing ploy. One of my clients tested word of mouth social media advertising in lieu of paid advertising and it was extremely successful. It draws attention in a quick manner and brings in more sales.

The value proposition it high for the customer but low for Royal. With NCL's top beverage package, you can have a bottle of Veuve per person at dinner each night. Their basic package allows you to have unlimited glasses of Veuve whenever you want. Wholesale, they spend between $22-$30 USD per bottle. Throw in a cheap bottle of wine with dinner, the actual cost to Royal is probably between $55-$65 total for this package. This "flash" sale is likely testing the waters, getting people excited about something shiny and new, and seeing what the take rate is by word of mouth (free) adverting. They are still making money even for two people at this price. 

Do I think this price will last? Heck no. It's likely going to be a per day price for 2 people once it rolls out. They likely won't roll it out at the higher price until some influencers get the package for "free" and record their experience on YouTube. Heck, they are hoping people jump on this to spread the word how awesome this package is to see more of them at the higher costs. 

They KEY already sells well. The feedback from folks who have tried the KEY and didn't like it (me), it's because I didn't find the package valuable. I don't care about the activities, I don't carry on anything to drop off, nor do I care about slimed down Chops lunch. I am in my 40's, I like wine, I like traditional cruise stuff, I love priority boarding, and I *need* internet. This package is for my demographic. 

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Look in your Cruise Planner.  Look at the blue navigation bar.  Look on the far right.  If the last word is Packages, that's it.  Click on it and you will see it.

😞  Not there for my Feb 2024 Odyssey Sailing, but thanks for the info.

You asked for opinions in your original post. 
Mine is that there is no deep thought out theory. Some mid level programmer screwed up which is a fairly common occurrence at Royal. 
I see no way they could honor it based on the flood of purchases and I’m expecting to receive an “oops” letter along with a full refund in a few days. 

• Like 1

OK, if we are offering theories beyond incompetence, here’s the mean one for you…

Post a great package that includes internet for an irresistible price.  People buy the great new deal and cancel their old internet deals.  Then the company makes a lame excuse and refunds all those new packages.  People now have to buy internet all over again at the new higher price.

• Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

OK, if we are offering theories beyond incompetence, here’s the mean one for you…

Post a great package that includes internet for an irresistible price.  People buy the great new deal and cancel their old internet deals.  Then the company makes a lame excuse and refunds all those new packages.  People now have to buy internet all over again at the new higher price.

I made sure to still keep my internet purchase because I expect this to be refunded and can always cancel right before sailing. I just got a “continue planning your cruise” email but it says the only things I have booked are beverage and internet, granted this is a generated email but it’s also hyping the key since I purchased it on my last cruise, and I wouldn’t need the key if the premier sticks!

2 hours ago, HicksRA said:

You asked for opinions in your original post. 
Mine is that there is no deep thought out theory. Some mid level programmer screwed up which is a fairly common occurrence at Royal. 
I see no way they could honor it based on the flood of purchases and I’m expecting to receive an “oops” letter along with a full refund in a few days. 

They need to fire their entire IT department 😞

• Like 4