Cruise stops in Mexico Right Now

With the increased level of crime in Mexico, the US State Department is raising some of the threat levels for Mexico.  Is anyone starting to rethink about getting off a ship in the cruise ports of Huatulco or Puerto Vallarta?   

We just returned from a weekend trip to Mazatlán, which is just north of PV, and found it very safe.  Looking forward for our cruise that will stop there and we have plans on getting off and wandering the centro then lunching at the Shrimp Bucket. 

We have not been to Huatulco for 18 years but friends have been there a couple of times recently with no issues.  SIL was there a couple of weeks ago and had a fantastic time.  But only you can decide on your comfort level. 

Edited by Magicat

5 hours ago, Livesteamer said:

With the increased level of crime in Mexico, the US State Department is raising some of the threat levels for Mexico.  Is anyone starting to rethink about getting off a ship in the cruise ports of Huatulco or Puerto Vallarta?   

Can you link to where you are seeing the threat levels are actually getting raised? I can only find articles saying the State Dept has renewed the existing warnings. The current advisory is dated Oct 2022. I'd be curious if any warnings have actually changed.

4 hours ago, little britain said:

No.
 I’d personally be more concerned about walking about some areas of Miami

Not sure if you’re aware of the problem with Mexican drug cartels going on in this part of the world right now.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Are cruise lines still taking shore excursions to the mainland ... like the Tulum ruins?  I heard something that made me think they might've stopped. 

There are no ruin excursions offered at any of my ports on the Mexican Riviera Cruise next month. I remember doing them in 2004.

39 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Are cruise lines still taking shore excursions to the mainland ... like the Tulum ruins?  I heard something that made me think they might've stopped. 

They are still available on my sailing. 

38 minutes ago, monorail81 said:

They are still available on my sailing. 

Which port are they offered in? And what is the excursion called? I thought they may have cancelled going to them because I had heard stories of tourists not following the rules and climbing on them.

There are currently travel advisories in Mexico, Honduras and Jamaica. Just got back from Jamaica which was fine and my next cruise is going to Mexico and Honduras and will enjoy those as usual. I don't go into parts of these cities that are outside the tourist areas unless on a shore excursion with a group. Then I figure I'm likely the poorest one of the bunch so I stand a better chance!😂

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Jussabitconfused said:

Which port are they offered in? And what is the excursion called? I thought they may have cancelled going to them because I had heard stories of tourists not following the rules and climbing on them.

Cozumel. There are several - too many to list. Several to Tulum. One to Chichen Itza. In addition to the ones to the ruins, there are many others to the mainland to cenotes, shopping, etc. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jussabitconfused said:

Ruins, like Tulum, are going to be on the east coast of Mexico.  Not the West coast/Pacific/Baja side of Mexico. The Mexican Riviera as they call the west coast cruise ports, may have a few, but the majority of them will be excursions in Cozumel, Costa Maya and other areas of the Yucatan in the east.  

Edited by rockmom

3 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Not sure if you’re aware of the problem with Mexican drug cartels going on in this part of the world right now.

Yes I am; and when I checked a map 🗺️ the 6 states mentioned on the advisory are not on ship’s itineraries…

PV is in Jalisco and Huatalco is in Oaxaca.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Livesteamer said:

With the increased levels of crime in some USA cities such as NY and Baltimore, is anyone thinking of not cruising with those ships out of those areas?  Just asking.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

We'll still go to tourist areas, but even then we won't stray from large groups.   When DD was a baby, our Mexican friends told us to not take her to Mexico until she was much older.  As a stunningly attractive child with pale skin, blonde hair and a red-headed mom, she would be a particular target for kidnapping.   Not for the normal reasons, but to be presented as the child of whoever paid for her.  She won't be 15, so almost but not quite of that danger, but the normal dangers are even scarier.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mexican Riviera and Riviera Maya are two different geographic regions in Mexico. When someone mentions tours to ruins from a riviera cruise, I assume they mean the Riviera Maya side of things, but then again, I can't figure people out any more.

Anyway, these destinations have their problems. If you're easily triggered by warnings issued about travel, you may not want to travel. Otherwise GO, enjoy!

• Like 1

I'm traveling to Hong Kong this summer on a cruise which is under a government level 4 (level orange) "reconsider travel" advisory. 

I personally wouldn't choose to book a vacation to Mexico right now via plane where I'd need to travel by car to a resort, but if I already had it booked I'd probably still go, and just stick to the tourist areas. And I'd definitely still go if I had a cruise booked with a stop there. Although I'd assess the environment when I got there before deciding how far outside the port to travel on my own, depending on which port it was.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, geneparmesan said:

Can you link to where you are seeing the threat levels are actually getting raised? I can only find articles saying the State Dept has renewed the existing warnings. The current advisory is dated Oct 2022. I'd be curious if any warnings have actually changed.

I have not seen anything since the Department of State advisory in Oct 2022 but only going off of news reports from some of the major (non-cable) networks.  I am checking Department of State on a near daily basis.  Our port call in Nicaragua was canceled due to security issues (so I was told)

23 hours ago, Livesteamer said:

I have not seen anything since the Department of State advisory in Oct 2022 but only going off of news reports from some of the major (non-cable) networks.  I am checking Department of State on a near daily basis.  Our port call in Nicaragua was canceled due to security issues (so I was told)

OK, thanks, same here... I've been searching the news reports, and regardless of what the headline says, the actual articles have all said that the State Dept is only "renewing" the existing advisory from what I can see. Maybe there are changes coming soon, or maybe it's the news outlets insinuating something that isn't happening. I'll keep an eye out as I have a cruise to the Mexican Riveria later this year.