when is embarkation time assigned?

mhlcanada

51 minutes ago, 2flacruisers said:

We received the email with ours today, but it doesn't show up on the app, even after deleting and re-downloading the app, as prompted.  I just printing both out and will take them....

When is your cruise? Mine isn't until May 1 so I guess I won't know mine until after mid April.  

Can you request for a change of embarkation time if you are not happy with the assigned one?  I have Club Orange for my cruise.

7 minutes ago, mhlcanada said:

When is your cruise? Mine isn't until May 1 so I guess I won't know mine until after mid April.  

Can you request for a change of embarkation time if you are not happy with the assigned one?  I have Club Orange for my cruise.

You should receive a boarding pass that indicates "Priority" and you can board any time, even though you will also receive a boarding time that is not related to your priority status. 

Otherwise, technically, no, you can't change your boarding times. However, it has been widely reported here that the boarding time rarely matters.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You should receive a boarding pass that indicates "Priority" and you can board any time, even though you will also receive a boarding time that is not related to your priority status. 

Otherwise, technically, no, you can't change your boarding times. However, it has been widely reported here that the boarding time rarely matters.

Thanks for the info…very helpful.

I would like to add that I've had my boarding time be changed by HAL a few times within that 2 weeks prior to the cruise embarking.  i don't usually print it out until the day before I leave (to save some paper from re-printing after each change).

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, eroller said:

I’m sailing in two weeks and no boarding time.  Also no cabin assignment.  Are the two linked, meaning you won’t get a boarding time until a cabin is assigned? 

GTY assignments are done around 8 or 10 days prior to sailing.

Not sure they are linked, as last year we had boarding times (but not the FINAL boarding time) prior to GTY assignments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 4:32 PM, mhlcanada said:

Does anyone know how far in advance of your cruise is embarkation time assign?

Seems like it starts a month prior to departure but can change..sometimes several times. ....I think it is critical that everyone adhere strictly to their boarding times and please do not arrive early.  You must arrive at precisely your assigned boarding times.  This is important to keep everyone safe.

On 3/14/2023 at 11:35 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure they are linked, as last year we had boarding times (but not the FINAL boarding time) prior to GTY assignments.

I’m just at 11 days prior to sailing.  The embarkation time and group got assigned yesterday.  Still no cabin assignment.  Anyway at least I know now that one is not dependent on the other.  

Embarkation times seem to change with the changes in wind direction.  We were just notified (about 10 days prior to our cruise) to a change in our embarkation time.  The ugly truth is that many folks just ignore embarkation times (which are seldom enforced) and many others find themselves going to the port out of necessity.  Just consider folks who fly-in the day of a cruise and transfer to the port (it sure beats sitting around the airport) once they have their luggage

While we understand the cruise line's interest in spacing out embarkation times, in reality it is often not practical.  There is also an unfairness to the procedure.  Consider a person who gets a 3pm embarkation times vs one who gets an 11am time.  The earlier time means those folks can go aboard, enjoy lunch, and even have a relaxing afternoon (kind of like a sea day).  The late comers miss out on lunch, will often find they do not have their luggage before they want to get ready for dinner, etc.

Hank

On 3/15/2023 at 6:51 PM, Eaglecw said:

We've never been turned away when we arrived at the Pier/Port earlier than we were supposed to be there. I'm sure they probably don't like it but it is what it is.

What it is, is RUDE

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There is also an unfairness to the procedure.  Consider a person who gets a 3pm embarkation times vs one who gets an 11am time.  The earlier time means those folks can go aboard, enjoy lunch, and even have a relaxing afternoon (kind of like a sea day).  The late comers miss out on lunch, will often find they do not have their luggage before they want to get ready for dinner, etc.

I'm happy to arrive later. 3pm is fine with me. I'm not really interested in "enjoying lunch" if by enjoying you mean gathering a so-so plate of food from a buffet line and then finding a place to sit in a space usually heaving with people and bags.

I'd rather sightsee, relax or eat a nice lunch ashore, then board the ship. Generally there are no lines at these later boarding times. Keeping a small carry-on with me ensures I have something appropriate enough to wear to dinner should my bags not arrive; although I have to say that generally my bags arrive at my room not very long after I do.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm happy to arrive later. 3pm is fine with me. I'm not really interested in "enjoying lunch" if by enjoying you mean gathering a so-so plate of food from a buffet line and then finding a place to sit in a space usually heaving with people and bags.

I'd rather sightsee, relax or eat a nice lunch ashore, then board the ship. Generally there are no lines at these later boarding times. Keeping a small carry-on with me ensures I have something appropriate enough to wear to dinner should my bags not arrive; although I have to say that generally my bags arrive at my room not very long after I do.

100% Agree.  My upcoming Cruise I will eat breakfast at the hotel, wander around the tourist area located near the pier, check out at noon, take an 8-minute walk to the pier and drop off my luggage, then go to lunch at somewhere local for some regional food, proceed to board the ship at 3:00 p.m., no crowds,  you know the ones caused by the special people who think they are exempt from reporting at their assigned time, usually takes about 10 minutes total to board the ship.  My luggage is always in my room when I arrive.  My boarding time for the next cruise is B Group at 12:20, no chance I do that.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 11:35 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Cabin was assigned today.  8 days prior.  Nothing to write home about.