New Policy, only one entree at a time?

17 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Understandable.  It eliminates food waste.   How many people go to a land restaurant and order 2 entrées?   

Land-based restaurants tend to serve over-sized portions -- enough for dinner and tomorrow's lunch.  Cruise portions are different, and that's not a problem.  

Thing is, food is cheap when purchased in quantity as the cruise ship does.  Labor and presentation are much more expensive than the food itself. 

16 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Why did you accept the bully?

Maybe because it's never smart to be mean to people who handle your food?  

8 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

So it is sitting in the cart getting cold?    How is that better than putting it on the table?  

Anyone else having Pink Floyd running through their head?  

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!"

Food getting cold is just an excuse.  

Actually, yes, I was thinking of that very song!  

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Absolutely! I will give them problems if they impose that rule on me! I want all apps and mains and desserts served together!

No, don't go messing with the wait staff, as they have no control over the policies.  Speak to the head of the dining room, speak to Guest Services, let it be known you're going to score the dining room low on the post-cruise survey, write to Royal's Customer Service, or vote with your dollar.  But don't be mean to people who have no authority to make the changes you want. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I agree, it makes no sense.   Supposedly the no substitutions/modification rule to to save on labor since they can have the food plated before you even walk in the dining room.  But then making the waiter do extra trips is more labor.  

So if there's no main on the menu that you fancy its off to the windjammer you go!

Will make reading the menu before entry a necessity.

9 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

So it is sitting in the cart getting cold?    How is that better than putting it on the table?  

Anyone else having Pink Floyd running through their head?  

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!"

We don't generally have more than one entree, BUT if the second was served cold after sitting on the cart it would definitely be sent back.

Maybe this policy is simply intended to discourage multiple ordering?

Edited by icsys
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Did you ask them to stop that and serve all at the same time?

No we didn’t. Other than lobster night (surf and turf), we’ve never felt like we had to have more than one app or main entree at the same time. Desserts are a different story!  (Yes, he finishes them all!)

D746F1A4-0111-409E-B345-ED414F1F39F7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Absolutely! I will give them problems if they impose that rule on me! I want all apps and mains and desserts served together!

I think you should be talking to management and not the waiters. They are just doing what they've been told by their bosses, they don't make policy 

• Like 1

On the Harmony a couple weeks ago our waiter was very strict, even acted afraid to bring out more than one dish at a time. I like to order a salad and french onion soup and I like them both brought at the same time so I can mix up the cheese in the soup and let it cool while I eat my salad as it's usually very hot. She was NOT allowing it which just held up the dinners. Not sure why they wanna piss of their guests, but that is just stupid.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, blondie from arizona said:

HOWEVER, my DH went absolutely ballistic that they didn't have shrimp cocktail every night.

They had it four out of seven nights, and that's pretty good.  (coconut shrimp on another night, too)

• Like 3

My GF and I tend to eat fast, by the time he/she brings the appetizer to the table and he/she is putting the appetizer on another table I can be done with mine. With the new " one at a time rule," I was wondering how long will I have to wait for the second appetizer, and the same for the entree, this rule makes no sense, especially for those that never leave food on a plate. 

Just don't ask me to give you a ten because I won't and it will be the first time in my life with royal if they enforce this stupid rule. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

I think you should be talking to management and not the waiters. They are just doing what they've been told by their bosses, they don't make policy 

They have to get sick and tired of listening to it....and of course I will talk to management - but they are part of the game - so they get to play with the complaint too! They are part of the system so they need to push and be pushed....

8 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

Just don't ask me to give you a ten because I won't and it will be the first time in my life with royal if they enforce this stupid rule. 

Have the maitre come over and explain WHY....make him look like a fool when he tries to ague that stupidity!

Complaining to the head waiter is a double edged sword. We did that on our last cruise (with the new menu and policies). And then we ended up having him bothering us constantly through every meal for the rest of the week. It was not a good week in the dining room!  However, I read on another thread that we may be blowing this all up for no reason. A good waiter should work with you. 

Our issues were reflected on the survey and will continue to be. Also, if you ask me more than once to give you a 10 on your survey, you are guaranteed not to get a 10. The begging and multiple lectures are annoying and ruin my dinner.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

They have to get sick and tired of listening to it....and of course I will talk to management - but they are part of the game - so they get to play with the complaint too! They are part of the system so they need to push and be pushed....

No, don't push the little guys, the ones who have no voice.  Management will not bend to their demands, no matter how frequent or vocal.  It's the equivalent of criticizing the McDonald's cashier about the price of the Big Mac ... it annoys him, makes you look like an idiot and accomplishes nothing.  

• Like 2

I have never in over 30 cruises ordered more than one main or dessert.  Don't get it.  BUT, I am certainly in favor of wasting less food.  I've seen too many folks in MDR ordering enough food for several and then leaving most of it on the plate, it disgusts me.

At home I use every scrap of leftovers, either to reheat or make another dish out of it like stew, etc.  I am the product of  depression era parents. Frugality in all things 😇

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 3/14/2023 at 6:51 AM, GJustice said:

It was all meals in MDR last month. Wife wanted a croissant at breakfast and I had to wait for her to finish that before they brought out the entree plates. 

Are you kidding?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I have never in over 30 cruises ordered more than one main or dessert.  Don't get it.  BUT, I am certainly in favor of wasting less food.  I've seen too many folks in MDR ordering enough food for several and then leaving most of it on the plate, it disgusts me.

At home I use every scrap of leftovers, either to reheat or make another dish out of it like stew, etc.  I am the product of  depression era parents. Frugality in all things 😇

If I order something and I don't like it, I'm not eating it. Feed the fish. I'll order something else. Last time I was forced to eat everything on my plate was when I was drafted in 1970, basic training. 

• Like 9