Specialty Dining or MDR for formal nights?

MTNest93

We are 1st time cruisers and will be celebrating our 30th anniversary on the 1st of 2 formal nights.  I made reservations for the Crown Grill thinking it would be more "special" for our big night.  However, I'm seeing comments about going to specialty dining venues if you don't want to dress up and the MDR having better options on formal nights.  We will be dressing up for both formal nights and really don't care what others are wearing, but in your opinion, would the MDR or Crown Grill be better for an anniversary dinner? Thanks in advance for your input!

4 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

We are 1st time cruisers and will be celebrating our 30th anniversary on the 1st of 2 formal nights.  I made reservations for the Crown Grill thinking it would be more "special" for our big night.  However, I'm seeing comments about going to specialty dining venues if you don't want to dress up and the MDR having better options on formal nights.  We will be dressing up for both formal nights and really don't care what others are wearing, but in your opinion, would the MDR or Crown Grill be better for an anniversary dinner? Thanks in advance for your input!

Crown Grill for sure!!  It will be more special and you can tell them it's your anniversary and they will sing for you!  
The first formal night in the MDR will probably not have any special items that would be better than Crown Grill in my opinion.   Usually the lobster/escargot are on the last formal night.

Congratulations!

Though not usually steak people, we celebrated our 40th in the Crown Grill.

So memorable to recall even now.

Dress as you would like. We dressed up, though not required.

Hickory smoked salt, must try.

Be sure they know of your anniversary. They will make it special. A decadent dessert will follow.

• Like 1

Oh, for sure Crown Grill!  Tell them it’s your anniversary before you arrive and you can expect something special.  You will both look amazing in your formal wear, too.  Don’t be surprised if the maître d compliments you when you arrive.  Enjoy your wonderful night!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

Do you know about the 'Ultimate Balcony Dinner'? ... if you have a balcony, and if they are doing it on your ship that date ... and just a heads up, people have reported booking and paying for it pre-cruise, then being cancelled once onboard ... and I believe refunded as OBC - not sure about that

just a thought

• Like 3

You can upload your anniversary onto the app. 

You then get a congratulatory message from the information screens as you pass them, and the staff in the CG will be alerted, and bring you a celebratory cake.

IMG_20220521_212936755.jpg

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Do you know about the 'Ultimate Balcony Dinner'? ... if you have a balcony, and if they are doing it on your ship that date ... and just a heads up, people have reported booking and paying for it pre-cruise, then being cancelled once onboard ... and I believe refunded as OBC - not sure about that

just a thought

Yes thank you, I've heard of that.  We are in a window suite so no balcony, but it does sound nice!

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Crown Grill for sure!!  It will be more special and you can tell them it's your anniversary and they will sing for you!  
The first formal night in the MDR will probably not have any special items that would be better than Crown Grill in my opinion.   Usually the lobster/escargot are on the last formal night.

Awesome, good to hear!  I am allergic to shellfish but my hubby might enjoy the lobster on the last formal night 😄  

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

You can upload your anniversary onto the app. 

You then get a congratulatory message from the information screens as you pass them, and the staff in the CG will be alerted, and bring you a celebratory cake.

IMG_20220521_212936755.jpg

Oh yes, we already did, well actually our daughter did since she's our TA! ❤️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Oh, for sure Crown Grill!  Tell them it’s your anniversary before you arrive and you can expect something special.  You will both look amazing in your formal wear, too.  Don’t be surprised if the maître d compliments you when you arrive.  Enjoy your wonderful night!

Thank you!  We are excited to wear our formal attire.  I am planning to wear the gowns that I wore for 2 of our daughter's weddings if I can lose another 10-15 pounds by July that is, lol!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

Awesome, good to hear!  I am allergic to shellfish but my hubby might enjoy the lobster on the last formal night 😄  

I hope he is not hungry - the lobster is not exactly large ! Order two !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

Congratulations!

Though not usually steak people, we celebrated our 40th in the Crown Grill.

So memorable to recall even now.

Dress as you would like. We dressed up, though not required.

Hickory smoked salt, must try.

Be sure they know of your anniversary. They will make it special. A decadent dessert will follow.

Aw thanks!  Glad to hear you had an awesome time there on your 40th <3.  We will definitely be dressing up on formal nights - it's been my dream since a kid watching The Love Boat, lol!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MTNest93 said:

Thank you!  We are excited to wear our formal attire.  I am planning to wear the gowns that I wore for 2 of our daughter's weddings if I can lose another 10-15 pounds by July that is, lol!

How awesome is that!  You will look so beautiful on your anniversary!  Wishing you both the best time ever!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

I lied about our anniversary. We got a special dessert in the MDR and a group of servers sang “happy anniversary”.  The surrounding tables applauded.

Haha - that's awesome!!

2 hours ago, MTNest93 said:

We are also celebrating our 30th in July.  Mind if I ask which day?

We won't be sailing during our anniversary, but we are considering our May cruise to be close enough.  I have toyed with the idea of adding that celebration to our Personalizer, but they want to know which date, and I don't really want them to decorate our door or make a big deal about it while dining when our actual anniversary is actually two months hence.  

2 hours ago, MTNest93 said:

<Removed recommendation for UBD since further reading indicated the OP is aware but staying in a WS.  That said, I believe I have read that Suite guests can have dinner served in their room, so I am thinking you might be able to arrange a UBD even though you do not have the B - especially if mention that magic "A" word.  🙂

As for people saying to go to SD to avoid dressing up, there is no reason to avoid the DR at anytime whether you want to dress formal or informal.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If you are booked in a cabin with a balcony, the best thing is to order the UBD (Ultimate Balcony Dinner) for $100.  The CG cost is now $78, plus beverages.  The meat quality has not been what it once was.  So, I would do the anniversary that way. 

OP says that they are in a Window Suite, so no balcony.  But am I right in thinking that they will do the UBD inside a suite? I know that they will do this if the weather isn't cooperating. So perhaps they will do this in a WS at any time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

OP says that they are in a Window Suite, so no balcony.  But am I right in thinking that they will do the UBD inside a suite? I know that they will do this if the weather isn't cooperating. So perhaps they will do this in a WS at any time.

I revised my post once I had read more of the thread.

Regular readers know that I am a big fan of the UBD.  In fact we have had only one on a balcony.  There is plenty of room in a Window Suite to enjoy inside.  We have always had the UBD while at sea, and it can get pretty windy out there.  So, setting up inside has usually made more sense to us.  The one time we had it on a balcony, it was an aft cabin, and, so, the balcony was wind protected.

Also, your husband can order lobster tail any night for the UBD.

I think there is plenty of opportunity for the @MTNest93s (your screen name is pretty easy to decode) to really enjoy this cruise.  I say do both Crown Grill and the UBD.  You only celebrate a 30th anniversary once.  Blow it out. The UBD dessert is spectacular by itself.  So, I would say that you would want to get your anniversary dessert in either the dining room or Crown Grill.  If you do not enjoy being the center of attention, you can give your server a heads up not to sing the song when they bring the dessert.

A previous poster commented that if you do go to Crown Grill in formal attire, the headwaiter will probably make a fuss over you.  I can vouch for that comment.  In fact our very first UBD was on a formal night and we decided to dress up even though we were not leaving the room,  When the server came into our room she really gushed over us.  She just thought it was so great that we dressed up to make the occasion special--not just for us but for her and her assistant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

We are also celebrating our 30th in July.  Mind if I ask which day?

We won't be sailing during our anniversary, but we are considering our May cruise to be close enough.  I have toyed with the idea of adding that celebration to our Personalizer, but they want to know which date, and I don't really want them to decorate our door or make a big deal about it while dining when our actual anniversary is actually two months hence.  

Our sailing is July 1-8 and our anniversary is the 3rd.  This will be the first time we celebrate a big anniversary on the actual day!  We took our honeymoon in October 1993 and celebrated our 25th in Maui in January 2018.  Enjoy your trip and a Happy Anniversary!!   ETA:  Go ahead and put a date down for your celebration on board in May - it IS your anniversary cruise after all and from the comments above you can ask the waiter not to sing.  🙂

Edited by MTNest93