En Route with Hank in Japan and the Westerdam

Hlitner

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just checked our onboard account and was ONLY overcharged $25.96 for a drink that is covered by our drink package.  I believe this is our 9th overcharge (now in the hundreds of dollars) since we boarded in March.

We have asked for an explanation as well as renewed our request for

a meeting with the hotel manager who might be able to suggest how we avoid overcharges.  To say that we are sick of this onboard BS would be an understatement..  

Hank

This is the problem with restocking the drinks, more overcharge opportunities.  I say each issue should come with a free game of Pong, which could categorize Guest Service as a new entertainment venue on the ship.

41616BotxVL._AC_.jpg

• Haha 3

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

Let us know what happens with a meeting with the hotel manager.  I’ve asked previously how that would happen on this board.  I was told they stroll the ship so it’s no problem contacting them 😂.

Asking for a face to face meeting with the Hotel Manager is like spitting into the wind.  Nobody even acknowledges the request other than simple apologies from Guest Relations.  What can they say?  Overcharges are apparently something that is to be ignored unless a passenger complains and provides the facts.  They do correct the error (only when asked) and than one simply waits for the next error. Nobody wants to discuss the problem beyond a nod/wink.

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Asking for a face to face meeting with the Hotel Manager is like spitting into the wind.

Send a note to the Hotel Manager mentioning that you would like to meet with him before you contact the attorney general.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It sounds like from this post and the one previous to it, that if HAL wants to survive they better get a whole lot of new customers as they are turning off their present customers.

It's really a shame one has to spend so much of his or her vacation time checking their onboard account for overcharges. 😒

They have sailed the seas with more than 8 generations of people. I'm sure they can find new people to turn on.

Well according to the OP he has plenty of extra time because of the void of entertainment and useful activities on this ship most days.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2023 at 7:07 PM, Destiny0315 said:

I can't disagree with your statements and it is just more evidence of the inconsistency from cruise to cruise and ship to ship compared to the past in the planning and implementing for food/drink and entertainment. The service element seems to be still there but it just becomes harder to achieve because of those inconsistencies. 

I hope Chef Jacques Torres special dinner was a whole lot better than our overpriced ($105pp) Chef Erik Stowell dinner on the Koningsdam in Feb. I will say his cooking demos were entertaining though. 👍

1 hour ago, Destiny0315 said:

They have sailed the seas with more than 8 generations of people. I'm sure they can find new people to turn on.

Well according to the OP he has plenty of extra time because of the void of entertainment and useful activities on this ship most days.

If they are looking in the direction of younger I think they best look at changing their late night options. 😳 Perhaps they might want to take a look at Celebrity. 🤔

9 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

This is the problem with restocking the drinks, more overcharge opportunities.  I say each issue should come with a free game of Pong, which could categorize Guest Service as a new entertainment venue on the ship.

41616BotxVL._AC_.jpg

One of the major complaints from our 35 night Koningsdam S. Pacific cruise a few months ago. I have no problem paying for a SBP but do NOT run out of stock on the first night of multiple items on the SBP list and then substitute trash in their place. lol on the Pong Game at the Guest Services Desk. 🤭

3 minutes ago, Expo67 said:

One of the major complaints from our 35 night Koningsdam S. Pacific cruise a few months ago. I have no problem paying for a SBP but do NOT run out of stock on the first night of multiple items on the SBP list and then substitute trash in their

place. lol on the Pong Game at the Guest Services Desk. 🤭

All the ships running out of beverage inventory are spending a season outside of North America, including Oosterdam and Zuiderdam.  I guess we'll find out if this repeats in Europe this summer.

If you're loyal to HAL and want to sail aboard, I would book early in the season.

2 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

All the ships running out of beverage inventory are spending a season outside of North America, 

Except it happened on Nieuw Amsterdam out of Vancouver and San Diego and Rotterdam out of Ft. Lauderdale (twice).  Fall of 2022

~Nancy

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I say each issue should come with a free game of Pong, which could categorize Guest Service as a new entertainment venue on the ship.

41616BotxVL._AC_.jpg

Your post reminded me of something I meant to comment on while still aboard Westerdam and it has to do with the decor of that Main Floor atrium area in front of Guest Services.

Overall, the Vista class decor on Westerdam has weathered surprisingly well. I still really enjoy the ornate elevator doors and various other large pieces of art displayed throughout the ship. (Not a big fan of the benches beside the elevators though, lol. Bit of a color nightmare....).  Other areas, like the Pinnacle Bar, have been nicely refurbished and look inviting.

But two areas need an overhaul, and the first is this Main Deck Atrium area. The current design aesthetic could best be described as "urban bus depot/airport terminal waiting area".  The gray pleather seating groups are dispiriting at best and seem very much a mismatch with the elegant marble that faces the "Guest Services" desk:

1F22E559-D6E3-44ED-96DB-D3D83651CD6B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.25ce7b5cbf29007a9b7f082c978ec7c6.jpeg

D70678F3-0953-44B7-82D9-BECEA3AD443E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.47cf852e44460e0649fb7587c4f87c32.jpeg

The other space is the MDR.  I assume through successive redecorating activities it has ended up being a room that has a lot of clashing colors -- oranges and maroons in the heavy and dated looking "still life" artwork on the walls. Carpeting with a brighter red and taupe design that has no relation to the colors in the art. Chairs covered with a clubby maroon leather and contrasting (but oddly out of place) tweedy black and off-white fabric....

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Except it happened on Nieuw Amsterdam out of Vancouver and San Diego and Rotterdam out of Ft. Lauderdale (twice).  Fall of 2022

~Nancy

And as recently as last month on the Koningsdam out of San Diego as well. So that sounds like another great cover it all band aid being used by HAL. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for all your posts and information! We will be onboard Westerdam in a week and will be very closely looking at our account!!! 
So sad this is what we have to do now!

My DH loves rough seas me not so much. 
Does HAL still provide cabin service 2 times a day?

Thanks,

💗😸💓💕😻

14 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

So maybe they should pay for more entertainers in order to take away all that free time for passengers to check for overcharges. 🤦‍♂️ The bean counters are going to have to carefully evaluate that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So maybe they should pay for more entertainers in order to take away all that free time for passengers to check for overcharges. 🤦‍♂️ The bean counters are going to have to carefully evaluate that.

But Gus recently said hal pays more than any other line on entertainment 🤪😛🤣. I believe the number was 25 percent more but I’m relying on my memory which is most likely wrong.

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

But Gus recently said hal pays more than any other line on entertainment 🤪😛🤣. I believe the number was 25 percent more but I’m relying on my memory which is most likely wrong.

I think he meant less..........

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Is so, it is not money well spent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1teach53 said:

It's optional. I had a note in my cabin at the outset telling me to let my cabin steward know what I preferred: 1x daily or servicing in the morning and turn-down/replenishment in the evening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Question for Hank, Cruisemom and other Japan cruisers:

There was mention early on that Canaletto would switch to Tamarind menu every other week. How was that experience? Food quality vs. regular Tamarind? Any problems with Specialty Dining? Regular and 5 star price?

Tamarind is our go-to option, loved it on Nieuw Statendam in Canada last year and on Eurodam in Europe years ago. We are doing Westerdam in Japan next year and have fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Too bad the shuffleboard tournament was cancelled.  Another fun activity for seasoned players.  I would really dislike having to check my account constantly because of overcharges.  A complete waste of time when you should be doing fun things on your vacation.  Like shuffleboard.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

10 hours ago, Expo67 said:

And as recently as last month on the Koningsdam out of San Diego as well. So that sounds like another great cover it all band aid being used by HAL. 🤔

How extent were the shortages sailing from San Diego, Ft. Lauderdale, and Vancouver?

Just now, Dr.Dobro said:

Question for Hank, Cruisemom and other Japan cruisers:

There was mention early on that Canaletto would switch to Tamarind menu every other week. How was that experience? Food quality vs. regular Tamarind? Any problems with Specialty Dining? Regular and 5 star price?

Tamarind is our go-to option, loved it on Nieuw Statendam in Canada last year and on Eurodam in Europe years ago. We are doing Westerdam in Japan next year and have fingers crossed.

Thanks!

The Taramind menu is limited when compared to the stand-alone Tariminds.  Our experience has been hit/miss with the potstickers and lamb chops quite good and some other items not so much. We enjoyed the Taramind menu more than Canoletto

The rumor mill says that they will stop the Tarimind weeks after this cruise, but we have not been able to verify that news.  I will try and get some definitive info during our next visit.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1teach53 said:

Thank you so much for all your posts and information! We will be onboard Westerdam in a week and will be very closely looking at our account!!! 
So sad this is what we have to do now!

My DH loves rough seas me not so much. 

Thanks,

💗😸💓💕😻

I look forward to hearing you reprot of the Westerdam sailing Alaska. We will not be on till September 3rd but hoping that many of the supply issues are resolved once she arrives state side. Also hoping for an improvement for entertainment but not holding my breath. My major concern is for the ship to be some what stocked.