En Route with Hank in Japan and the Westerdam

Hlitner

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Asking for a face to face meeting with the Hotel Manager is like spitting into the wind.  Nobody even acknowledges the request other than simple apologies from Guest Relations.  What can they say?  Overcharges are apparently something that is to be ignored unless a passenger complains and provides the facts.  They do correct the error (only when asked) and than one simply waits for the next error. Nobody wants to discuss the problem beyond a nod/wink.

My 2 cents; there is no excuse for these erroneous charges to keep appearing, especially after 2-3 weeks onboard! Having said that, I'm really surprised that will all your cruise know how, your travel experience, and your take charge attitude, you haven't made it down to Westie's hotel gm's office yet and knocked on his door/curtain! You do know where it's located, don't you?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

My 2 cents; there is no excuse for these erroneous charges to keep appearing, especially after 2-3 weeks onboard! Having said that, I'm really surprised that will all your cruise know how, your travel experience, and your take charge attitude, you haven't made it down to Westie's hotel gm's office yet and knocked on his door/curtain! You do know where it's located, don't you?

Please do tell. I’ve spent over 500 days with my butt in a bed and I have no idea.  I’ve seen a box sitting on a desk where you can insert a note but not an office on any of the newer ships.  Thanks.

Gooday from the North Pacific,

Another somewhat dreary day at sea with following seas of about 20 feet.  The Captain expects the heavy seas to slowly      decrease. All the ships pools remain empty but the hot tubs continue to function.  With our following seas. The ship does continue to both pitch and roll. Taking a shower can still be a major challenge. 

The Captain mentioned that are stabilizers are fully functioning and dampening our roll to 3-5 degrees.  He estimates that without the stabilizers we would be rolling about 15 degrees.  The ships motion has truly been tough on some folks.  We spoke to one lady who simply lays in bed all day and night.  DW and I have been hanging out, and reading, in the Crows Nest where any motion is at its worst.  Watching the rough seas is hypnotic and quite beautiful and is a popular place for those able to tolerate all the motion.

Back in March I had posted that our ship had some issues with one Azipod.  Prior

to leaving Japan, it was reported that we

got some replacement parts and were

able to make repairs.  During much of this rough crossing we have been able to maintain 20 knots which indicates that the repairs were helpful.

Hank

• Like 5

On 4/28/2023 at 5:16 PM, Hlitner said:

Last night, the Captain altered course towards the northeast on a direct course to Kodiak....  

We had the best time in Kodiak, taking a taxi to Fort Abercrombie State Historic Park. The day we were there, we we hiked one of the trails and saw a colony of puffins at the rookery and from a lookout point could view a number of whales breaching in the water below (of course, we were on the alert as there had been a recent brown bear sighting😉). It was a magical day!

Thanks again for these live reports, much appreciated! Hoping the seas will calm down for you all soon.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

How extent were the shortages sailing from San Diego, Ft. Lauderdale, and Vancouver?

Quite extensive. 

For SD they were Out of the 6 Cognacs they had 1 that was $38 a per shot. They ran out of dark chocolate syrup in the Dutch cafe 10 days from the end of the cruise. They had 1 Sauvignon Blanc for the last half of the cruise. No Cabernet Sauvignon for the first 7 days. No olives for the last 8 days of the cruise. 5e lettuce the last 9 days was rationed and even then was not the nice healthy green fresh lettuce looks like. For the last 5 days they were very limited on beer as well. So I stand on my quite extensive comment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Expo67 said:

Quite extensive. 

For SD they were Out of the 6 Cognacs they had 1 that was $38 a per shot. They ran out of dark chocolate syrup in the Dutch cafe 10 days from the end of the cruise. They had 1 Sauvignon Blanc for the last half of the cruise. No Cabernet Sauvignon for the first 7 days. No olives for the last 8 days of the cruise. 5e lettuce the last 9 days was rationed and even then was not the nice healthy green fresh lettuce looks like. For the last 5 days they were very limited on beer as well. So I stand on my quite extensive comment. 

They should put you in charge of the ship inventory department seeing as your good with numbers.🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

They should put you in charge of the ship inventory department seeing as your good with numbers.🙂

lol Considering the issues they seem to have throughout the fleet I am pretty sure I could do a better job than is being done now. My guess is Gus would not be happy however as I am sure the company balance sheet would suffer. 🤭 As my original point was if you are going to offer a SBP at a price then you best have the stock intended to be included in the package. Ex. If Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc is on it then stock it and yes I know it can be had as we purchase it almost every month from Total Wine. Even worse is having a Dutch Cafe that regularly uses dark chocolate syrup not having sufficient stock. 

Edited by Expo67
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's not just HAL, but the parent company too as there are reports today on the Carnival board of shortages, including small bottles of water on the Carnival Luminosa as it heads from Brisbane to Seattle. Those long Pacific cruises are becoming a challenge to keep things stocked.

56 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

What is the point of a comment like this?  It was a concise, well thought out answer.  I guess it’s not cheerleading that’s the issue.

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It was a concise, well thought out answer.

And so was my response which actually was a dig at HAL for not having their inventory numbers accounted for as good as the poster did.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

And so was my response which actually was a dig at HAL for not having their inventory numbers accounted for as good as the poster did.

Ok thank you.  It didn’t come across that way to me so thanks for the clarification.  We all pay plenty for the hia and it’s super annoying to have to go without or hunt things down.  It you don’t have it then sub in the more expensive.  Doesn’t sound like hal is doing that.

Seas have started to calm ; ). Seriously,  not as bad as it could be, at least the spa pool reopened today (the closure wasn’t weather related but something that required a lot of the pool to be taken apart over the past few days)

Yay!  Something to do!

Food is fine,  entertainment continues to be laughable.  Thankful for a drink package and the gallery bar,  at least there, passengers can make their own fun!  I can’t imagine how boring the 7 day Alaska cruises will be if all remains the same. 

Crew as always is lovely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

It's not just HAL, but the parent company too as there are reports today on the Carnival board of shortages, including small bottles of water on the Carnival Luminosa as it heads from Brisbane to Seattle. Those long Pacific cruises are becoming a challenge to keep things stocked.

You are absolutely correct as it is throughout the entire Carnival Fleet. It is the Carnivore fear we all felt would eventually happen when they gobbled up all these other lines and placed them under their umbrella. They promised not to alter the different lines but of course we know promises are not meant to be broken but usually are. I know that these same cruise itineraries never experienced these shortages in the past as we have done 4 S. Pacific cruises in the past decade on HAL. I know that Covid has caused supply issues but with the knowledge of these ships and their past inventory needs that excuse is wearing thin. Supply issues are beginning to surface throughout the entire cruise platform from crew staffing cuts, entertainment deletions, food & beverage shortages, etc. Add into that the increasing changes to exotic itineraries with deletions to expected ports of call after final payment has been made and the fish start to stink a little more. I would love to give Carnival the benefit of doubt but somehow as time passes and I continue to read of more and more of these instances I sadly am losing the ability to pull the wool hat over my eyes and ignore what the facts truly are. It is one thing to add more ala carte priced items, add additional charges for additional appetizers in specialty restaurants, or add tier levels of pricing to wifi and drink packages. It is not ok to continue to make excuses and place blame on items that as a supplier you should have recognition and control over. 

Edited by Expo67
  • Like 2

This evening we headed out to meet a friend (for drinks and dinner) at the Ocean Bar.  Unfortunately, I could not shower due to unavailability of hot (or even warm) water.  This kind of thing can happen in any cruise ship so it is what it is.  I ordered a gimlet only to be told the bar was out of Rose’s Juice. Not a promising start to what turned out to be a decent dressy night.  Dinner in the MDR was good as was our favorite Rolling Stone band.  As usual they drew a good crowd and had plenty on the dance floor when they quit at 11.  One thing that has changed is that they do continue with recorded music after 11.  

The seas have continued to calm down although many cruisers would still be unhappy with the ship movement. Our dinner companion did say that anyone booking the northern Pacific in the spring should expect rough seas. 

After 5 weeks on this ship we have become used to OK food with less quantity of the more expensive items.

Presentation is designed to make less look like more.  I do think that HAL

could do a much better job with desserts

at dinner.  The variety leaves much to be desired.  But the quality of what they have is fine.

Hank

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Expo67 said:

Quite extensive. 

Costco is 10 miles from the cruise terminal, and they' carry cab, even in off the beaten path destinations like San Diego.  I just bought a case of Precision for $13.99 a bottle.  Maybe the cruise line should bulk text incoming passengers, see who can chip in?

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 4.33.37 AM.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Expo67 said:

You are absolutely correct as it is throughout the entire Carnival Fleet. It is the Carnivore fear we all felt would eventually happen when they gobbled up all these other lines and placed them under their umbrella. They promised not to alter the different lines but of course we know promises are not meant to be broken but usually are. I know that these same cruise itineraries never experienced these shortages in the past as we have done 4 S. Pacific cruises in the past decade on HAL. I know that Covid has caused supply issues but with the knowledge of these ships and their past inventory needs that excuse is wearing thin. Supply issues are beginning to surface throughout the entire cruise platform from crew staffing cuts, entertainment deletions, food & beverage shortages, etc. Add into that the increasing changes to exotic itineraries with deletions to expected ports of call after final payment has been made and the fish start to stink a little more. I would love to give Carnival the benefit of doubt but somehow as time passes and I continue to read of more and more of these instances I sadly am losing the ability to pull the wool hat over my eyes and ignore what the facts truly are. It is one thing to add more ala carte priced items, add additional charges for additional appetizers in specialty restaurants, or add tier levels of pricing to wifi and drink packages. It is not ok to continue to make excuses and place blame on items that as a supplier you should have recognition and control over. 

When will carnival corp purchased my cruise line blah blah go away,  it was 30’years ago that they purchased holland America 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Expo67 said:

As far as I can tell, it's happening to most if not all mainstream cruise lines.  At least according to the individual CC Forums.  

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

After 5 weeks on this ship we have become used to OK food with less quantity of the more expensive items.

Presentation is designed to make less look like more.  I do think that HAL

could do a much better job with desserts

at dinner.  The variety leaves much to be desired.  But the quality of what they have is fine.

Hank

What happens if one asks for "more of <whatever> please"?

Or even a double-sized portion if you know (from before, or seeing other plates?) you'd be wanting more?

GC

26 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Or even a double-sized portion if you know (from before, or seeing other plates?) you'd be wanting more?

GC

I have had no problem in the MDR asking for a larger, double or even a half size. At least in the MDR they are quite accommodating.

2 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

When will carnival corp purchased my cruise line blah blah go away,  it was 30’years ago that they purchased holland America 

And your point? Their original statement and promise was to leave Holland to operate the way they always had. As for 30 years does the number really matter whether it was 5 years or 30 years? Point is they obviously changed their view on this and yes it will eventually go away when those of us cruised then and heard it are no longer alive to remember it. 

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

As far as I can tell, it's happening to most if not all mainstream cruise lines.  At least according to the individual CC Forums.  

I think you are absolutely correct with degrees of variation depending on what line is being discussed. 👍

11 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Costco is 10 miles from the cruise terminal, and they' carry cab, even in off the beaten path destinations like San Diego.  I just bought a case of Precision for $13.99 a bottle.  Maybe the cruise line should bulk text incoming passengers, see who can chip in?

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 4.33.37 AM.png

San Diego also has Total Wine and more shops if HAL doesn’t have a Costco membership.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

GC

Have not done it, but imagine you would be accommodated.   Do it in the PG and you would be charged an extra fee + 18%.

• Like 1