wine carry-ons, please clarify?

j3000

we are on the 4-night cruise on Silhouette next month.

I'm getting mixed signals from friends who just returned from a Silhouette cruise...

1. are my wife & I are allowed to bring on TWO bottles of wine EACH, (total 4 bottles) on boarding?  ( note- this is a 4-night cruise)

2. our stops are Key West and Nassau. Are we allowed to bring on any wine from these ports- at no fees or whatever?

Edited by jargey3000

Technically you are supposed to have 2 bottles per room. But if you spread yourself out and carry them through the security they have not stopped us from having 2 each.

No fees to bring things back but they may hold it until the last day of the cruise

6 minutes ago, viperfoth said:

Technically you are supposed to have 2 bottles per room. But if you spread yourself out and carry them through the security they have not stopped us from having 2 each.

Not correct. It's two bottles per adult, not per cabin.

From the FAQ: Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard, with the exception of embarkation day when each guest (of legal drinking age) is permitted to bring onboard up to two (2) 750 ml bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with the Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, hrhdhd said:

Not correct. It's two bottles per adult, not per cabin.

This is correct. 2 bottles per adult (legal drinking age) regardless of cruise length at embarkation. Policy is any alcohol brought onboard from a port during the cruise is held and provided to you the final night.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

1. are my wife & I are allowed to bring on TWO bottles of wine EACH, (total 4 bottles) on boarding?  ( note- this is a 4-night cruise)

Yes, 2 750ml bottles each for a total of 4.

27 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

2. our stops are Key West and Nassau. Are we allowed to bring on any wine from these ports- at no fees or whatever?

Yes, but understand that any bottles of wine/liquor brought on at port stops should be held by security until you disembark. Some manage to sneak through, but don't count on it.

38 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Yes, but understand that any bottles of wine/liquor brought on at port stops should be held by security until you disembark. Some manage to sneak through, but don't count on it.

We brought on two bottles from Nassau. They let them through, and we did nothing to sneak them on. We handed them over, and the security guy at the metal detector asked if they were wine. We told him they were, and he just sent them through the x-ray and waved us through the detector. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

We brought on two bottles from Nassau. They let them through, and we did nothing to sneak them on. We handed them over, and the security guy at the metal detector asked if they were wine. We told him they were, and he just sent them through the x-ray and waved us through the detector. 

That has happened to us also , but I wouldn’t count on it.

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I remember when they had designated wine cruises where you could take bottles of wine bought at ports back to your room.  We made full use of that.

35 minutes ago, George C said:

That has happened to us also , but I wouldn’t count on it.

I agree.  It was a pleasant surprise then, and it would be a pleasant surprise again should it happen.  I get the feeling they aren't nearly as concerned about someone bringing on a bottle of wine or two from a port, but I bet they would have been if it were rum.

6 hours ago, viperfoth said:

that has changed recently.  Now it’s two bottles per person 

Not to hijack this thread, but I've wondered if peeps generally bring/pack their own bottles from home or buy them in the port city before boarding? We'd hoped to do the latter last autumn but it just didn't work out.

We'd like to bring some from home next time but, if we do, what's the best way to pack them?

Thanks for any advice,

cjr

3 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

Not to hijack this thread, but I've wondered if peeps generally bring/pack their own bottles from home or buy them in the port city before boarding?

My husband and I always embark with wine. If we are flying in, we do not pack it in our luggage. We don't want something to happen to it (and our clothes) in transit. Plus, if it is a warm weather or short cruise, we don't need to check our bags anyway. Paying the extra checked bag fees negates the savings from bringing our own wine on board.

We always arrive at least 1 day before our cruise. Before leaving, we use Google Maps to scope out the area surrounding our Airbnb or hotel. Then, we visit a nearby grocery/convenience/liquor store to make our purchases. Besides keeping your belongings safe from spilled wine, you also get to explore the area a little bit more.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

Not to hijack this thread, but I've wondered if peeps generally bring/pack their own bottles from home or buy them in the port city before boarding? We'd hoped to do the latter last autumn but it just didn't work out.

The only time we've done it we were driving and brought something out of the cellar. I don't think we've ever gotten to the port city early enough to track down a good wine shop, although there is a Total Wine near most of the hotels in Fort Lauderdale. I'm probably guessing anything I'd like would be current vintage and not ready to drink...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

The 2 bottles per stateroom is a Royal Caribbean Policy, for Celebrity it is 2 bottles per guest.

RC recently changed their policy from cabin to per person. Now it's one 750 ml bottle per person. So a solo cruiser no longer gets to bring onboard two bottles of wine. 

52 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

We'd like to bring some from home next time but, if we do, what's the best way to pack them?

Thanks for any advice,

cjr

We bring them from home, but only when we decide to bring something nice otherwise I don't think it's worth the effort as we usually have the premium drink package.  We use a "Wine Angel" brand packing bag.  Amazon sells them, bubble protection heavy clear plastic, ziploc bags.  I pack them in the center of my checked luggage and seems to work great.  I'm leaving tomorrow and have 3 packed in my bag right now!

Edited by garyl62
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, viperfoth said:

No fees to bring things back but they may hold it until the last day of the cruise

That is wrong, the policy changed and it's now two bottles per drinking aged adult in the cabin. So two adults equals 4 bottles total. The information is in the FAQ.

57 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

Thanks for any advice,

cjr

I typically will bring mine from home. We have a nice collection of wine that can't be found in stores or on the ship and it gives us an opportunity to drink some very nice wines while on vacation. I love X's new policy of two bottles per person, I really don't need a drink package anymore. Between 4 bottles of wine and Elite Happy hour, I am usually good to go.

• Thanks 1

Over the years, we have always brought wine (from home) onto our ships.  most of the time, security takes it, logs it, and then delivers it to our stateroom shortly thereafter.  We "carry" it onboard, and do not try to hide it.  I have the opinion that with the common availability of various beverage packages, it is almost a moot point. 

Then you have the wine quality/calibre itself.  We leave in 22 days and I was determined not to have to pack wine for a flight across the country.  We have the luggage allowance and we have the wine (well stored and properly aged), but really wanted to utilize whatever could be offered vis a vis the beverage package.  I have now scoured any available lists I could find for the Celebrity Edge, and decided to start packing.  

I'll let y'all know how it works out.  

Scanditaly

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

That is wrong, the policy changed and it's now two bottles per drinking aged adult in the cabin. So two adults equals 4 bottles total. The information is in the FAQ.

My mistake all. Thanks for correcting. It used to be 2 bottles per room and I'm old school and didn't realize it changed.

Thanks for keeping us on our toes!

You could probably take on 4 bottles each.   2 in each carry on and 2 in each checked.   I doubt that they would have a way to keep track of it.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅