Bon Voyage Silver Moon!!!

spinnaker2

Another small note - we have, as usual, had cloudy, cool and rainy weather here in the Azores - never been here when it hasn’t rained - and looking at the satellite view of the Atlantic there’s a pretty evil looking low pressure forming behind us. 
But it must be lifting out north of us, I’ve just checked the weather for Lisbon on Tuesday when we arrive and it’s showing sunny and mid - seventies, can’t complain, I thought I was done with my shorts for this cruise, obviously not!

Currently at dinner on deck 11, excellent pizza. A bit chilly but the heaters deal with it fine, plus I have a cardie and a jacket on. Not sure what the waiter thinks of me, he poured my wine then left the bottle on the table …

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

While I’m still sober, 😇, I shall mention a small but important, to me anyway, difference between the Moon and the Dawn cabins. 
On the Moon, the USB charging ports at the desk and beside the bed are two USB A ports, one labelled ‘high power’, the other one unlabelled. 
On the Dawn, the pairs of charging ports are in the same location but consist of one USB A port and one USB C port. 
Tempus fugit. 

Otherwise the ships are almost indistinguishable, just different artwork on the stairs. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

On the Moon, the USB charging ports at the desk and beside the bed are two USB A ports, one labelled ‘high power’, the other one unlabelled. 

On the Dawn, the pairs of charging ports are in the same location but consist of one USB A port and one USB C port.

Having never been on either ship, this info is good to know!

45 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

@Stumblefoot  when are we cruising again  ??  We are ready, willing and able  !

Join us 

🙂

Look for a DM rojaan. I think we’re always a few years behind you as our upcoming voyages are where you’ve already been.

How ‘bout India in ‘26?  I can’t remember if you two went back there after our mutual voyage was cancelled by Covid.

Some numbers:

Only 255 Venetians on the crossing, I would have expected more. 

The high number of solos was a bit misleading - there is a group on board and quite a few of them are solo in a cabin but perhaps they shouldn’t be considered as ‘usual’ solos as they are part of this group. I don’t know how big this group is or whence they came, but apparently dancing is their thing - they take over the dance floor in Panorama in the pre-dinner drinks slot so I’ve had to retreat to Dolce Vita which is OK as the waiters there are excellent. But hopefully I can return to Panorama tomorrow. 

In transit pax are 65 in number. My whole trivia team is disembarking tomorrow so I’m going to need another - I’ve had one offer but I’ll wait and see how things pan out. 
Dunno if drron will be interested as I’m only on for another 10 days. 

And must report that trivia has been HARD. We won a couple of times, placed a few more, and crashed and burned in ignominy far too often!

Different numbers:

Five 23 hour days have taken their toll as expected, but maybe worse is to come. 

The SS itinerary planners, sitting in their insulated office, have us doing a sea day down to Casablanca - gaining an hour going to Morocco - then going to Tangier, one would expect without a time change. 
Then leave Tangier at 11 pm, arrive Cadiz 8 am - Spain is two hours ahead of Morocco. Lose two hours in a short overnight?? Really??

I asked the CD this morning about it, he said they’d just had a meeting and still haven’t decided what to do. 

I know what I’d do - miss Casablanca altogether - polluted, filthy dump - and have a sea day after Tangier. But we wait and see. 

Whatever happens, at least once we’re at Cadiz that’s it for me, I’m on the same time zone till Barcelona and disembarkation. 

37 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

In transit pax are 65 in number. My whole trivia team is disembarking tomorrow so I’m going to need another - I’ve had one offer but I’ll wait and see how things pan out. 
Dunno if drron will be interested as I’m only on for another 10 days. 

And must report that trivia has been HARD. We won a couple of times, placed a few more, and crashed and burned in ignominy far too often!

Hi jollyjones  - we definitely want to play trivia with you !!  We will have to meet up for a drink,  is trivia happening the day we get on ?

• Like 1

No, never seen it on embarkation day. It’ll be 4.45pm sea day 29th. 

Tomorrow your drill should be at 6pm, then there’s usually a welcome/meet the crew thing on the pool deck at 6.45pm. 

I may likely be found in Panorama about 7.15pm. 

• Like 2

Latest unexpected appearance - two small but heavy glass pots with small quantities of mixed nuts and mixed dried fruit. They have the OTIVM name on the front - don't know if they are meant only for spa users, or if they are to replace the existing brown paper bags of cashews and mixed nuts in the cabins. Currently I have both.

Maybe it's a consolation prize. After saying on my comment card that my butler was the best one I'd had in many cruises, they've moved him up to the posh pax on deck 11 and I have a different one to get trained.

Still no orchid, but to be fair if they only loaded them on today, they haven't had time to distribute them. It'll be a tiny test for the new butler.

IMG_6247.thumb.jpeg.c647ab82612cf40364a3770e941d8129.jpeg

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 8:28 AM, jollyjones said:

Today's thoughts from afloat.

It seems that all Covid restrictions are going. No masks required anywhere on the ship (ashore would only be if local regs required them). Cabins available at embarkation as they no longer close decks and fumigate. No more exile from cabin on in-transit days (this yet to be confirmed to me).

There is still an isolation zone but only four cabins now, not six. There's 601 and 602, then a set of glass doors, then 603 and 604 then a set of glass doors and that's it. No sign of current occupation.

Crew still need to wear a mask for first five days after joining the ship, and then have a negative test before going mask free.

As I suspected, our delayed embarkation was because of the extended US coastguard inspection which happens when the ship makes her first US port after an lengthy voyage elsewhere - Moon has been round South America and across the Caribbean since her last US port.

(She may have been into St Thomas but that doesn't really count as far as the USCG inspection applies)

After all pax had disembarked in Lauderdale and the ship was zeroed, nothing and no-one was allowed on or off during the inspection which took some hours. We sailed promptly at 7pm that day and apparently there is a whole list of things that didn't get loaded in Lauderdale!

Food and drink mostly made it - the only thing not available that I have noticed so far is arugula for the Prosciutto e Rucola pizza at Spaccanapoli. Plenty of wine of all sorts. Starvation is not imminent.

Orchids weren't so lucky - I don't have one in my cabin, apparently mine died somewhere around South America and, for now, there isn't one to replace it.

Oh the hardship!😁

We were in 605-and there were definitely folks in 603 and 604 starting maybe 3-4 days into the cruise. We saw the verandah tables outside the cabin doors and room service  carts in the hall loaded up with food in styrofoam take away containers. One time saw a crew member in full white hazmat suit including booties, gloves and plastic face shield. Also garbage left outside cabins in red garbage bags indicating bio waste. 
Lasted for about 3-4 days and I have no idea if it was crew or pax.

On 3/26/2023 at 10:58 AM, jollyjones said:

While I’m still sober, 😇, I shall mention a small but important, to me anyway, difference between the Moon and the Dawn cabins.

I shall mention a small but important, to me anyway, difference between Moon and Dawn layout in Silver Note.   Except for Dawn, this space on other ships has a two top table in corner most distant from entrance.  It's my favorite spot and it has been replaced by larger table on Dawn.

Venchi chocolate is very good.    A very cool gift item that took some thought and $.