Skagway suggestions

emckeeve

We are a family group of 11, including 5 adventurous grandchildren ages 12-13.  We're doing a half day excursion up the highway and to visit the dogs, but what can we do for the extra 6 hours.  We're docked until 8 PM. Are there any outdoor activities/hiking trails accessible by foot from town.

We took this excursion a few years ago:

https://alaskashoretours.com/excursions/skagway/chilkoot-trail-hike-float/

They take you a few miles out of town to the trailhead.  The guide talked about the gold rush as well as the flora and fauna along the way.  We hiked for a mile or so then got in rafts and floated back down the river.  It was a lot of fun.

The hike itself was pretty.  If you can figure out how to get to the trailhead, that might be an option.

Edited by dd57
  • Like 1

Skagway visitor’s bureau has a map of hiking trails that start from the town rated according to difficulty.  Yakutania Point is a favorite for families.  It begins by the airport and follows along the inlet, no elevation but a wooded area with plants and tree roots to step over.  If you continue on the trail it will lead you to Smuggler’s Cove which has amazing views.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Skagway visitor’s bureau has a map of hiking trails that start from the town rated according to difficulty.  Yakutania Point is a favorite for families.  It begins by the airport and follows along the inlet, no elevation but a wooded area with plants and tree roots to step over.  If you continue on the trail it will lead you to Smuggler’s Cove which has amazing views.  

This is a favorite of mine. It's usually quite serene. 

On 3/16/2023 at 3:08 PM, dd57 said:

We took this excursion a few years ago:

https://alaskashoretours.com/excursions/skagway/chilkoot-trail-hike-float/

They take you a few miles out of town to the trailhead.  The guide talked about the gold rush as well as the flora and fauna along the way.  We hiked for a mile or so then got in rafts and floated back down the river.  It was a lot of fun.

The hike itself was pretty.  If you can figure out how to get to the trailhead, that might be an option.

I was hoping for something we could do for free because we have 11 of us taking an excursion in the morning.  Big $$$  

1 hour ago, emckeeve said:

I was hoping for something we could do for free because we have 11 of us taking an excursion in the morning.  Big $$$  

There is a trail right behind the train stop in town, we hiked up to the upper falls.  The kids believed all the fools gold in the sand by the stream is real gold. Nice hike.  Don't be intimidated by the first 1/4 mile, it gets a lot easier.

• Thanks 1

Another Skagway question.  I'm rethinking our excursion in Skagway.  What is the best tour to travel the Klondike Highway for the scenery but to spend enough time at a dog sled camp for the grandchildren to cuddle with the dogs as well as take the 15 minute ride?  I've looked a Viator and other shore excursion tours, but I want to have the best possible experience with the dogs while going as far as we can on the Highway.

2 hours ago, emckeeve said:

Another Skagway question.  I'm rethinking our excursion in Skagway.  What is the best tour to travel the Klondike Highway for the scenery but to spend enough time at a dog sled camp for the grandchildren to cuddle with the dogs as well as take the 15 minute ride?  I've looked a Viator and other shore excursion tours, but I want to have the best possible experience with the dogs while going as far as we can on the Highway.

Rent a car and visit during a slow time.  There are hundreds of people at Caribou Crossing during peak periods.  Note that puppies are not guaranteed and dog sled rides may be limited, especially if it's a hot day.  Last time I was there you weren't allowed to cuddle the puppies.

If you're on Princess they will bring puppies on board and allow holding and cuddling (Puppies in the Piazza).  They also have puppies and sled dogs at the Gold Dredge in Skagway.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 9:18 AM, naturelovergirl said:

We are renting e-bikes from Klondike Electric Bicycles in Skagway- we plan to ride places and also hike.

Where are you renting these from, and about how much do they run?

On 3/17/2023 at 12:18 PM, naturelovergirl said:

We are renting e-bikes from Klondike Electric Bicycles in Skagway- we plan to ride places and also hike.

My understanding is that the state of Alaska requires a motorcycle driver's license in order to ride an e-bike lawfully, and I would welcome further explanation from any Alaska attorneys. There are bills in both houses of the legislature to classify e-bikes as bicycles, and not require a specialized license to operate them, but those bills have not been enacted. http://www.alaskabeacon.com/2023/03/20/new-legislation-could-clear-up-confusion-surrounding-e-bikes-in-alaska I would be curious to know the extent to which cruise passengers flout the existing law by riding e-bikes without being licensed to drive a motorcycle, and if that lawlessness is driving the proposed legislation.

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

My understanding is that the state of Alaska requires a motorcycle driver's license in order to ride an e-bike lawfully, and I would welcome further explanation from any Alaska attorneys. There are bills in both houses of the legislature to classify e-bikes as bicycles, and not require a specialized license to operate them, but those bills have not been enacted. http://www.alaskabeacon.com/2023/03/20/new-legislation-could-clear-up-confusion-surrounding-e-bikes-in-alaska I would be curious to know the extent to which cruise passengers flout the existing law by riding e-bikes without being licensed to drive a motorcycle, and if that lawlessness is driving the proposed legislation.

An ebike is NOT a motorcycle.  It is pedal assist.  I own one at home.  It's a common misconception that these are the same as mopeds.  There are throttle options but those of us who own ebikes use them for exercise and the pedal assist for hills.  Even if you wanted to use the throttle option and a lot of us don't, the fastest you can go on mine which is the same as the Klondike bikes is 20mph.  I can get to that speed on my bike without pedal assist on a downhill or a flat surface.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jean87510 said:

An ebike is NOT a motorcycle. It is pedal assist.

That's the thrust of the Alaska bill. All the other states distinguish e-bikes from motorcycles and mopeds, but not Alaska, and so this bill, if adopted into law, would bring Alaska into alignment with the other states. That thrust would likely be a good result, though I have not reviewed the bill in any great detail, and there might be amendments, both in committee and on the floor, and it is not certain if the legislature will pass, and the governor sign, the bill into law. But at least for the time being, that factually e-bikes may not be motorcycles is not really relevant if, in Alaska, e-bikes are motorcycles as a matter of law.

• Like 1

I would call the place that rents e-bikes first to see what I need for a license.  If you are under 16 you need an M2 license.  However, according to DMV.org

You DO NOT need a Class M2 permit to operate motorcycles and motor scooters with engine displacements under 50 cc in Alaska IF you already have a valid basic driver’s license.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

However, according to DMV.org[:] You DO NOT need a Class M2 permit to operate motorcycles and motor scooters with engine displacements under 50 cc in Alaska IF you already have a valid basic driver’s license.

Keep in mind that dmv.org is not the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles. Rely on dmv.org at your own peril.

To be certain, I do not possess a "basic driver's license," and my understanding is that neither the state of Alaska nor my own home state would issue a license to me to operate an e-bike, at least without having to learn how to operate a motor vehicle (a rather expensive and time-consuming proposition for an otherwise useless license). I have looked into the possibility of renting an e-bike while in Alaska, and I have come to the conclusion that doing so is too fraught with risk, and I will not attempt to do so, at least until the state enacts legislation that sensibly classifies e-bikes as bicycles.