Celebrity room service charges?

willow949

Just read that Celebrity is going to charge over $9.00 plus 18% for room service. We eat dinner in our room almost every evening and I think this is just wrong!! BTW we tip the room service person very well, but not if we are charged… this is the first time hearing of charges. 

2 hours ago, willow949 said:

Just read that Celebrity is going to charge over $9.00 plus 18% for room service. We eat dinner in our room almost every evening and I think this is just wrong!! BTW we tip the room service person very well, but not if we are charged… this is the first time hearing of charges. 

Sorry this news is just now reaching you.  It has been in effect since January 2023.  You will just have to budget for it now, an extra 12 per day or so to be able to have dinner in your room.

Edited by WestLakeGirl
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, willow949 said:

Last cruise was at Christmas for 10 days on Princess  before that Holland ( we are 4 star ) and on both cruises did not have service fees for room service. 

We sailed in early January and the new fee had not YET come into effect so maybe Princess and other lines have added a similar charge.

The world has changed plenty in the last 3 years! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, willow949 said:

Last cruise was at Christmas for 10 days on Princess  before that Holland ( we are 4 star ) and on both cruises did not have service fees for room service. 

If you had sailed Celebrity during that time, you wouldn't have had a service charge either. It began in Jan 2023.

• Like 1

Different lines, different policies — no sense railing against the decision aa they aren’t likely to rescind it

Edited by WestLakeGirl
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, willow949 said:

Just my curiosity....why would you eat in your room almost every night? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Is the lack of a service charge because of you 4 star status?

I am not happy about this because I do like to order Bacon and eggs and eat on the balcony 🙂 when I booked the cruise it was free but know they added the charge. I think its a bit steep to be honest considering they will bring you pastry and coffee for free in the morning just slide on some bacon 🙂 lol

18 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

People have their reasons. Be kind. 

2 hours ago, tonyinoc said:

I am not happy about this because I do like to order Bacon and eggs and eat on the balcony 🙂 when I booked the cruise it was free but know they added the charge. I think its a bit steep to be honest considering they will bring you pastry and coffee for free in the morning just slide on some bacon 🙂 lol

FWIW when we wanted to eat on our veranda we ordered pastry, coffee & juice.  I would go to OV and get bacon, eggs and hash browns.  That way they were hot.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, willow949 said:

Got some good news and bad news, the good news is its not $9.00.  The bad news is it's $9.95

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, willow949 said:

And you can't order room service from the Main Dining room menu anymore.  Not sure exactly when that one changed but be aware that's the policy now. 

Edited by TwoBeAtSea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

FWIW when we wanted to eat on our veranda we ordered pastry, coffee & juice.  I would go to OV and get bacon, eggs and hash browns.  That way they were hot.

We do this for breakfast as well. Actually my DW likes to sleep in so I go to the buffet and grab a small bite and then carry back the smorgasbord to the room. Then I hustle it to Al Bacio for coffees…..man she makes me work hard!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, TwoBeAtSea said:

And you can't order room service from the Main Dining room menu anymore.  Not sure exactly when that one changed but be aware that's the policy now. 

About the same time as the dinner cut backs in the OV and the room service charge.

Guest CunucuMom

Speaking of room service from a newbie...if you have a drink package, is room service alcohol "free" up to the package budget per drink or is every alcoholic drink charged at the room service menu price regardless if you have a drink package or not?

9 minutes ago, CunucuMom said:

Speaking of room service from a newbie...if you have a drink package, is room service alcohol "free" up to the package budget per drink or is every alcoholic drink charged at the room service menu price regardless if you have a drink package or not?

Its not free when ordering from Room Service for Drinks.  Its the drink price plus the 9.95 charge.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Really Celebrity, you claim to be a Premium Line, with "Modern Luxury", yet you charge BS NCL like charges?  Disney/Oceana pricing, for this crap, what gives? 

Lots of threads recently since January with similar complaints and comments if you want to vent even more about these changes with like-minded Celebrity customers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Lots of threads recently since January with similar complaints and comments if you want to vent even more about these changes with like-minded Celebrity customers.

The reason for me at least, in December I finished my second Back-to-back Christmas Cruise (2021-22) and was beyond appalled how things were on Apex!  Sadly, things have gotten much worse in 23' as employees warned me they would.

Even though you are appalled with APEX, and some others have been negative, there have also been a lot of very positive posts from people recently off APEX.  This is all taken in stride here on CC.  For me it is best to try it myself and not worry too much what others say.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1