Brisbane only Australian City selected as Greatest Place to Live, by Time Magazine.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Brisbane Greatest Place to Live, by Time Magazine. 

Brisbane has always been a great place to live for families.  

Yes that would have to be uncontested fact😏.

Hate being a party pooper, but it wasn't exactly named as "The Greatest Place to Live"

Time announces EVERY year a list of notable places and it seems that every year, Australia is given 2 spots, one city and one region. Last year was Fremantle, the year before was Sydney. Brisbane earned their place this year because of the Olympic announcement last year.

Not really the same as being named "Worlds most liveable City" for 7 years in a row.

• Like 3

The hard data tells us that people are moving from NSW (and most recently from Vic as well) to Qld, for whatever reason.  Pretty sure this is mostly from the two capital cities to Brisbane area.  

https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/population-movement-australia

That's my 🍍 😀

InterstatenetmigrationfiveyearsbeforetheCensusbystateandterritory20112016and2021.thumb.png.bba4f7bd582e867fc742ada71eda24b6.png

Edited by geoff2802
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, geoff2802 said:

The hard data tells us that people are moving from NSW (and most recently from Vic as well) to Qld, for whatever reason.  Pretty sure this is mostly from the two capital cities to Brisbane area.  

https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/population-movement-australia

That's my 🍍 😀

InterstatenetmigrationfiveyearsbeforetheCensusbystateandterritory20112016and2021.thumb.png.bba4f7bd582e867fc742ada71eda24b6.png

I am not so sure it is from Sydney & Melbourne to Brisbane. It has been a long-standing trend that you work till retirement in Sydney, then sell up your real estate equity to retire to northern NSW or QLD coast.

2021 has anomalies around numbers of people moving to escape repeated city-wide lockdowns in Melbourne & Sydney, but I am surprised Annastasia let that many people cross the border.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I am not so sure it is from Sydney & Melbourne to Brisbane. It has been a long-standing trend that you work till retirement in Sydney, then sell up your real estate equity to retire to northern NSW or QLD coast.

2021 has anomalies around numbers of people moving to escape repeated city-wide lockdowns in Melbourne & Sydney, but I am surprised Annastasia let that many people cross the border.

Yes, the wider Brisbane area - Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast specifically.  I should have said SE Qld.  
We got sick of Sydney and moved up here to live by the water.  Loving it.  The new cruise terminal is good too.  
Now the health emergency is over Anna can’t stop the inflow.   

1 hour ago, geoff2802 said:

Yes, the wider Brisbane area - Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast specifically.  I should have said SE Qld.  
We got sick of Sydney and moved up here to live by the water.  Loving it.  The new cruise terminal is good too.  
Now the health emergency is over Anna can’t stop the inflow.   

It will be interesting to see what the 2026 stats show.

Whitsunday Coast somewhere near Proserpine will do me if we can afford it when we retire.

42 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Whitsunday Coast somewhere near Proserpine will do me if we can afford it when we retire.

If you haven’t found them already, check out Hideaway Bay and Dingo Beach.  Beautiful spots and affordable.  Good pub at Dingo.  Hideaway is quiet.  We seriously considered buying there but settled on Bribie for various reasons.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, arxcards said:

4 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

If you haven’t found them already, check out Hideaway Bay and Dingo Beach.  Beautiful spots and affordable.  Good pub at Dingo.  Hideaway is quiet.  We seriously considered buying there but settled on Bribie for various reasons.  

I would love to move to Agnes Water/1770.....but think we will buy something on the Yorke Peninsula to retire to. Handy for trips up the middle, over to the west and the loveliest unspoiled beaches.

Shed house off grid will do us😁

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

I would love to move to Agnes Water/1770.....but think we will buy something on the Yorke Peninsula to retire to. Handy for trips up the middle, over to the west and the loveliest unspoiled beaches.

Go for it.  Both sound good! 

14 hours ago, geoff2802 said:

I think Bribie Island was a wiser choice to live for a number of reasons (cyclones and medical).  We visited Airlie Beach after a cyclone and there wasn't a leaf left on a tree and all the Whitsunday Islands were wrecked. 

Hideaway Bay is my favourite place in the Whitsundays.  I had lunch there and a drink at Dingo Beach Pub on way back to Airlie Beach on my last cruise. 

14 hours ago, cheznandy said:

How did you discover Yorke Peninsula?  That is somewhere I've never been.  Or is it just the central location for travel in Aust?  We skip across from Adelaide to Yorke Peninsula.

PS I loved undeveloped 1770. 

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

How did you discover Yorke Peninsula?  That is somewhere I've never been.  Or is it just the central location for travel in Aust?  We skip across from Adelaide to Yorke Peninsula.

PS I loved undeveloped 1770. 

Did you mean you skip across to the Ayre peninsula?

I have lived in South Australia, all of my fathers family is from there. When we travelled around Australia in 2011/2012 we spent a lot of time in SA. We haven't been all the way down to the "boot" of the Yorke, there is a national park there. It's a long trip to take the caravan and that's the only way we would do it, so much to see.

21 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Did you mean you skip across to the Ayre peninsula?

I have lived in South Australia, all of my fathers family is from there. When we travelled around Australia in 2011/2012 we spent a lot of time in SA. We haven't been all the way down to the "boot" of the Yorke, there is a national park there. It's a long trip to take the caravan and that's the only way we would do it, so much to see.

Oops yes Ayre Peninsula.  

My daughter, who is currently travelling around Aust in a camper van, is having trouble dragging herself away from SA.  

23 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think Bribie Island was a wiser choice to live for a number of reasons (cyclones and medical).  We visited Airlie Beach after a cyclone and there wasn't a leaf left on a tree and all the Whitsunday Islands were wrecked. 

Hideaway Bay is my favourite place in the Whitsundays.  I had lunch there and a drink at Dingo Beach Pub on way back to Airlie Beach on my last cruise. 

Yep, they were both reasons.  We also saw Airlie after the last big cyclone and it was pole-axed.  

We also decided a nearby major airport and cruise port were important. 😀 

My wife's from bayside Brisbane and her family is all in SE Qld.  

Property prices were reasonable on Bribie 6 years ago and we sold our house in Sydney.  Have not looked back.